Wiz
Years ago

SA Country Basketball Program?

I would be interested in people's view on whether the SA Country Basketball Program has made any significant improvements over the last 5 years?

Topic #25758 | Report this topic

vod  
Years ago

This has been done to death, but OK, I'll bite anyway.

The short answer is clearly not.

Reply #321427 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

One basketball, working together is the ideal way to go. Country vs Metro is absolute bull dust. They carry on like its 2 different sports union for league for example. Its basketball ffs, we're on the same team!!! 2nd agendas, protecionism, holding things back I think.

Reply #321439 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Duplication for the sake of keeping a job

Reply #321468 | Report this post

waxonwaxoff  
Years ago

I think SA country do a wonderful job of exposing the game to the regional areas and providing them with an opportuinity to compete and perform at a higher level, (some of the national results speak for themsleves) without this focus from SA country basketball these kids would have less opportuinites and less access to the expertise they provide, keep up the good work we appreciate the efforts! possible merge with Basketball SA may be a good idea but lets not undermine the amount of work and help the staff and the organisation are already providing!

Reply #321579 | Report this post

Demios  
Years ago

Not the good ones, the all play district.

Reply #321581 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

City people do not realize what actually the role of the JDO's are, and the large spectrum of work it includes. They spend huge hours traveling from east to west of the state visiting schools and associations. It comes at great personal cost to both family and personal life for not a great salary.

Now there is a clear and identified pathway for players to progress through to National level and beyond. It includes all country affiliated associations not just a limited few. This was not there until recent years it was more a game of luck to end up in a state team or rep. group. Country carnivals now have the highest number of nominations in junior grades than ever before. Yes these kids get recruited to District clubs from these programs so what??? If this structure was not in place many of these players would not be playing in the city. So why bitch about it??

Unfortunately we still lose too many to football

What annoys me the most is the bagging of coaches and lack of informed comment. Its as if the attitude is these country bums don't know anything I wish we could be city. For those people who have been involved in the sport for more than the last 5 years soon realize that a lot of the coaching staff have in their time originated from Adelaide and played and even represented SA metro numerous times as players. They know all the game as well as any, and seen all the trends.

Looking at Last years SAC coaching list:

Under 18/16 Boys (all metro)

Jason Warhurst
Wade Hampton
Mal Penno
Bill Kelton
Wes Knight

The girls coaches have spent time coaching in Adelaide clubs as well.

Too all those who find it easy to criticize you may find the grass is not greener on the other side
, but its easy to take cheap shots, like the person who has started this forum.

SAC at the moment is stronger than its ever been, in terms of players/numbers and finances.

So my answer is positive. Its clear to many that the high performance/SASI pathway will take a different route in the years to come, if this is good or bad who knows. If you look at interstate models you would find the way SASI has been run in SA is unique, and has been designed like this from day one. But it will change, and give people more crap to complain about.

Reply #321658 | Report this post

triton  
Years ago

I'm not going to point out all of your inaccuracies and ill-informed points, because it's been said over and over. All I will say is that your point of view is misguided at best, in fact probably fair to say it's downright naive. Good on you for your loyalty to the SAC program though.

Reply #321669 | Report this post

MJ23  
Years ago

The program is complete basket case & Mr Bald will only appoint coaches that he can dictate & control. He is very threatened by Coaches that pose a threat to him in terms of a more comprehensive knowldege of Basketball than him. This is why Matho & Peter Seebohm cant even get a gig to coach SA Country teams in Albury! Mr Bald is a law on to himself & answers to no-one, the SA Country Council & SA Country Excutive Officer cant even control him. Time to wrap up the SA Country Program & move to a model which will combine SA Country & SA Metro!

Reply #321692 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

interesting that the strongest state VIC still has separate programs, combining them here would be the last thing you would do

Reply #321703 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Vic metro has 3-4 million you dill and 2 or so million country wide, SA has 1.5 million all up. We need two bodies running basketball here like a hole in the head.

Reply #321704 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

you obviously have NFI of how to go about junior development

Reply #321705 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

MJ23
I found the same situation in nsw regarding the selection for coaches for country development tours... basically one individual got to chose who he wants to do the teams... this is always going to lead to problems.
the same thing happens here in sa with jason he likes to control it and have the power...
it was a shame there and is still here
the best coaches deserve to be on these development tours... not the ones the power hungry head coach is friends with or things they know more than!

Reply #321980 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I am looking for the program for U12 girls program for the october long weekend 2011 town and country teams in murray bridge.Are they out yet?

Reply #331674 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:06 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754