Jonno
Years ago

Barlow and Baynes

I was thinking should the 36ers offer these 2 contracts, Clarke is there as assistant coach with them at the moment i hope he is getting in their ears. There have been rumours of Barlow wanting to come back to the NBL and Baynes was rumoured to be a 36ers target on here a few weeks ago, would it be better to go without the 2nd import and sign these 2 along with say Ervin.

I know we have plenty of SF/Sgs but Barlow would be a good signing IMO, if we get Baynes or a cheap import big along with Johnson, Ballinger we dont need too much more in the PF/C rotation, and Weigh,Creek, Barlow would be able to play PF for 5 mins here and there. Barlow would give us a good proven go to guy at NBL level and would be our only legit top level/Boomer in our team.

Baynes would give us the aggressive inside player to compliment Ballinger and Johnson.

Given we have 2 import spots and around 29 points to spare, if not asking crazy money and interested in the NBL i reckon we should have enough spare to offer these guys a decent contract.

Would give us a team of

Baynes/Johnson
Ballinger
Weigh/Creek
Barlow/Herbert/Ng
IMPORT (Ervin)/Crosswell

id use depth chart of

Baynes (25mins)/Johnson (15)
Ballinger (30)/Johnson (5)/Creek or Weigh (5)
Weigh (20)/Creek (15)/Barlow (5)
Barlow (25)/Herbert (10)/Ng (5)
Ervin (30)/Crosswell (10)

I'd be pretty happy with that, obviously it would be a tough ask to get Baynes and Barlow, but hey Clarke surely has an advantage and shot at it being involved with the Boomers aslong as we can offer market level contracts to these guys.

Topic #25766 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

adelaide would have to be title favorites with a team like that.. would be good to see!

Reply #321659 | Report this post

phil  
Years ago

lol, no way you could sign barlow, baynes and ervin/import pg. would never fit into points or salary cap.

also barlow would be on big bucks in euro, if he is coming back it would be for big bucks. we cant play 3 genuine sf's at 36ers.

as for baynes yeah, ild love to add him, i think he could become a fan favourite. also players in the nbl dont flop from a nudge like some others do.

Reply #321660 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

your only suggesting barlow gets 25 minutes a game? thats one reason why he wont play for the 36ers.

Reply #321662 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

Would be awesome, but can't see how we'd fit that in the cap even with some creative accounting.
Barlow would require Ervin like numbers I'd say. Or probably Ballinger like numbers.
Baynes would probably cost Import-like numbers.
Then Ervin obviously will cost a big portion of the cap if we get him.
With those 2 guys, we'd probably need to fall back to a Blaylock/Skip Mills sort of budget import to have any chance to afford Baynes and Barlow.

We'd pretty much become title favourites with that team wouldn't we though?
2 of the starting 5 from last night (including the captain).
Last year's MVP. (Ervin)
3rd in MVP last year. (Ballinger)
Rookie of the year from 2 years ago. (or didn't he win it?) (Weigh)
Under 20s MVP. (Creek)
Then you have probably the best shooter in the league (Ng), a veteran point guard (Crosswell), one of the best young centres (Johnson) and Herbert.

Reply #321666 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

Couldn't fit it under the points cap and no way could we fit it under the salary cap

Reply #321670 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Neither impressed me last night. Baynes has potential to be a real enforcer, but judging by his behaviour last night he is still an angry gorilla that is too easy to take out of the game with foul trouble.

Barlow was okay at times, but looked like he was trying too hard to impress. His lack of footspeed and lateral movement against guards was exposed a few times last night.

Reply #321671 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

Yea both would most likely would be too much salary wise, i think we have 29 points spare for 3 spots so i reckon we could get them and a import in under the points, i think Barlow was a 8 or 9 and not exactly sure what Baynes would be but even if he is a 10, we could fit Barlow at 8 or 9, Ervin and Baynes at 10 for the 29 points.

we just need to find the players some 'sponsors' to help out with the $$,

Reply #321675 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

"Then you have probably the best shooter in the league (Ng)"

Um...Kirk Penney anyone?

Reply #321676 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

hahaha, I was watching this last night and thinking... "I bet there is a Sign Barlow or Baynes thread tomorrow'.

Reply #321680 | Report this post

tyrell  
Years ago

@Hendo- Ninja is a great bloke, a great doctor and he is a good player- but not the best in the league and not best 5 either!

Reply #321696 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Baynes looks like Charles Atlas.
Atlas flyed. Ah didn't he.
Luke Nevil - 20 n 13 . Like to see him agen tonite.

Reply #321720 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

You honestly don't think Ng is among the best shooters in the league?
He can't defend, ball carry or do pretty much anything else, but get him the ball at the 3 point line with some room and he won't miss too often.
On combined 3pt FG and FT % he was second only to Campbell. He took double the 3pt and FG attempts and Campbell only had 2 FT attempts.

He was better than Penney in all 3 categories. Stats don't tell the whole story, and Penney shoots with more pressure than Ng, and is clearly a better scorer.
Probably got a bit carried away saying he's the best shooter, but can't see how anyone could deny he's at least in the absolute elite in the league.

Reply #321721 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Good shooters can hit open shots.

Great shooters can create open shots.

Ng is a good spot up shooter, but he lacks the ability to create open shots like Penney. (off the dribble, coming off screens, jab step-shoot, step back J)

Reply #321756 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:31 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754