Big Sexy
Years ago

Jeff Dowdell signs with Cairns

Dowdell has signed a one year deal with Cairns

http://www.nbl.com.au/taipans1/news/article/2011/june/jeff-dowdell-inks-one-year-deal-with-the-taipans/

Topic #25773 | Report this topic

The Situation  
Years ago

Jeff Dowdell is the new Ben Knight.

Reply #321821 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Good luck Jeff.

I think he probably played a fairly hard, under recognised role at the Sixers. Hope he has plenty of great games next season, none of these against the Sixers.

Reply #321824 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

Good news maybe for Holmes?

Reply #321826 | Report this post

LP  
Years ago

Indicators that he was mismanaged at sixers
thoughts

Surely not Sherlock Holmes again please
the cupboard cant be that bare Dear Watson

Reply #321827 | Report this post

Ineedmore  
Years ago

I have nothing against Jeff and reckon he was probably a value for money type of bench player.
The question I ask is will anyone even notice he is gone.
I don't think so, unless Ng has to play his spot.

Reply #321830 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

MIght be an idea if Ng played a full season

Reply #321831 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So opening for Sturt? or maybe Vanderjagt?

Reply #321841 | Report this post

Mr bEn  
Years ago

Dowdell sucks - you 6'ers are better off without him!

Reply #321867 | Report this post

@rangaMITCH  
Years ago

Correct me if I'm wrong but Cairns has a pretty big front court.

Crosswhite
Loughton
Rychart
Dowdell

Cairns could be hard to contain when playing some shorter teams this season

Reply #321882 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Watch Fearney take the bench of the wooden spooners (Dowdell & Hill) & turn them into winners. You lose Marty...

Reply #321886 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

BTW give us Holmes as well!!

Reply #321887 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

jeff dowdell is too slow for aba

Reply #321889 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

makes for an interesting game vs 36ers, 2 players with axes to grind !!

a good workmans/value roster so far but cairns has now got to find some scoring power,being able to keep score board pressure on opposing teams was a problem and still is with this roster.

Reply #321890 | Report this post

orbit  
Years ago

would also love holmes!

Cairns will totally expose Marty!!

Reply #321897 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"jeff dowdell is too slow for aba"

Paul Ree's proved speed isnt always needed

Reply #321900 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

Why would Dowdell and Hill have axes to grind with the Sixers?
We signed Dowdell last season when noone else was going to give him a contract. We also gave him more minutes than he'd ever had.
We had Hill on our list for what 6 years? He never really cemented his spot on the team in that time. Maybe he will at Cairns and that will be good to see. Wasn't developing here, so It's probably a win-win if he does well at Cairns.
We picked up Weigh so didn't really need Hill, he's now found himself at a club who's just lost Dillon and Dorsey and can offer him good minutes.
Id be more than happy to see both of them do well at Cairns. We didn't have a spot for them, so good luck to them.

Reply #321901 | Report this post

Sam  
Years ago

Hendo....you make more sense than anyone here...good post!

Reply #321908 | Report this post

Oden08  
Years ago

With the constant shuffle of these Australian bench / borderline starter players it really comes down to two things: coaching and imports.

Adelaide has lucked out in the last few years on the import side of things while the jury is still out on the coaching IMO.

Reply #321912 | Report this post

bretts the man  
Years ago

Good post both Hendo as also believe that Hill had to make a break away after a better but still inconsistent year last year to see what can do in new club with more minutes.
Dowdell was given chance and showed had something last year and would probably not been given Cairns role without Clarke giving opportunity.
Agree Oden with overall brief view of season ahead as if Melb. works as good as looks and NZ are near last years strength then good imports will be necessary for other teams to get up there with them.

Reply #321922 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Dowdell > Brebner = Upgrade for 10th spot on Roster

Reply #321941 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dowdell is quality for where he sits on their roster.

Reply #321969 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Agreed, a very handy 10th man.

A rumour going around that Cairns are close to signing a young gun. Dont know anything more. Maybe someone from the Emus?

Mitch McCarron jumps to mind.

Reply #321978 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Jackson Hussey will be the signing. He has recently seen in Cairns doing workouts with the coaching staff. Will fill the backup 2 spot departed by Phil Jones who will not be returning I hear.

Reply #321994 | Report this post

hustle  
Years ago

Will JD finish the year at West? Otherwise thats a pretty big loss prior to finals....

Reply #322025 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

My understanding would be being a 1st year player he would be required to commence training Mid July as all the other contracted Cairns based Taipans would. Doubt he would have the pulling power in contract neigotiations to not start pre season on time unlike Brad Hill who is player/coach in Adelaide ABA.

Reply #322039 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:34 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754