curtley
Years ago

What does Miller trade mean for Patty?

Raymond Felton is now the number 1 point guard for Portland, does anyone think this will affect Patty's minutes given Felton is younget than Miller?

Topic #25782 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Patty won't even be resigned in Portland.

Reply #321963 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

agreed - I read in the portland press that they won't be offering patty a contract

"Oden, Mills update: The Blazers have until Thursday evening to tender qualifying offers to free-agents-to be Greg Oden and Patty Mills. Buchanan said Monday the team remains "comfortable" with the plan they have in place but will hold another series of meetings this week to reach a final resolution on both players.

Buchanan said it's likely the team will make an announcement "Wednesday or Thursday" about the decisions. Tendering the players contract offers would make them restricted free agents and give the Blazers the right to match offers they receive from other teams on the free agent market. If the team does not tender qualifying offers, the players would become unrestricted free agents."

Reply #321967 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't think Felton directly affects Patty. Other moves tho...

Reply #321968 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I believe Patty has already signed for next season. He got the final spot in the roster.
His earnings next season will be $950,000

Reply #321970 | Report this post

Japorms  
Years ago

Felton is the present solution. Patty is a secret project

Reply #321972 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Patty has not signed on for next season, as nobody has signed a new contract due to the pending lockout and the fact nobody knows what is in the new CBA.

But Patty wouldn't be brought back as not only Raymond Felton was brought in, but they drafted Nolan Smith, as well as having Armon Johnson and Elliot Williams already there.

Reply #321979 | Report this post

Jacob  
Years ago

New trend in the NBA is having 2 smaller guards in a backcourt like Dallas .

Don't think they'll get rid of patty . Could see him along side Felton In backcourt at stages .

Much better than Johnson and Williams

Reply #321985 | Report this post

joshuapending  
Years ago

Smith went to heat I think.

Reply #321986 | Report this post

Billy  
Years ago

Patty is currently unsigned, Portland have Felton, Smith, Williams, Johnson all signed on as guards.
I highly doubt Mills will be back but with the new CBA yet to be settled, Cheap Players such as Mills may be looked at more often.

Miami didn't aquire Smith, they got Norris Cole.

Reply #321992 | Report this post

Japorms  
Years ago

its been proven that Mills played better that Johnson. and although Smith was known to have a good NCAA years but he hasnt played yet in the NBA level.

Felton, the temporary solution is not what every team is looking as their long term no. 1 PG. no outside shots and his physique possess more of a power forward trapped in a point guard size( a Vinnie Johnson sort of soccer full back frame). he is no taller than Mills and neither quicker or younger. he is more of a bully type PG who powers his way inside rather than creative moves in which Mills can offer. The only two advantages that Felton has over Mills are the NBA playing experience and can dunk.

It will be very stupid decision for the Blazers management to let Mills walk away because he's umpopular to American fans after he outplayed the combination of Paul/Williams/Kidd during Beijing Olympics.

Reply #322002 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

Mills is unpopular? Japorms, do you follow anything to do with mills. He is one of the most popular players on the blaze roster. He's became a cult hero

Felton can shoot from outside. He also is quick and can get to the basket and finish. Oh and he passes the ball plenty more too.

Mills won't get minutes over Felton anytime soon. He's better off looking elsewhere like NYC

Reply #322006 | Report this post

Japorms  
Years ago

i do Ricey. i think you misunderstood the meaning of "unpopular" that means "unfavorable" in other word.

Mills won't get minutes over Felton because the latter will be the starter, fixed.

We better wait for Blazers Management to decide on Mills' fate in the next 24 hours rather than showing our own emotions of disliking him.

I have stated my points on Felton, Johnson and Smith. and we're here at com.au that suppossed to be Mills' turf.

more than that is hate.

Reply #322014 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

I'm clearly not hating the guy if that's what your saying...

He doesn't have the skill set to really be a player in the NBA of any real quality to a team. He needs to learn that there is more than one speed in a game and that a pass to open player is more likely to be a score than throwing up a circus shot over a 7 footer

Reply #322078 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The only reason the "small" backcourt in Dallas worked is because Jason Kidd isn't small, but 6'4 and 210 pounds, more the size of a SG, and Jason Kidd defends SG's a lot better then the smaller quicker PG's, and probably the main reason why they were so good defensively. So Jason Terry/Jose Barea could defend Mario Chalmers while Kidd would defend Dwayne Wade, and quite often LeBron James when both Chalmers and Eddie House was on, in which Dallas responded with a Barea/Terry/Kidd guard lineup. That's why that backcourt worked for Dallas.

Other small backcourts like Warriors on the other hand, don't work much at all.

Reply #322097 | Report this post

Jacob  
Years ago

The warriors backcourt offensively Is a gun theres just no defense .

The caves and pistons will go to small backcourts next year as I've heard . It's going to happen a lot more

Reply #322108 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Again, Pistons- Rodney Stuckey is a solid 6'5 and is a combo guard anyway, Brandon Knight is even 6'3 and a combo guard, hardly a undersized backcourt.
Cavs, Kyrie is average sized, but Baron Davis is quite a large PG, size wize, like 215 pounds, and he is most likely going to be traded anyhow so Eyenga can start.
Small backcourts just don't work. And a Raymond Felton, Mills backcourt would be absolute terrible defensively, plus Roy and Matthews are the SG's of the team.

Reply #322111 | Report this post

Japorms  
Years ago

Ricey, Mills has come a long way for you to say that he doesnt have an skill set to be really an NBA player. From his Aboriginal background, making in to Boomers and made a name in International Basketball in not so ordinary ways, making news&records for west coast conference, plagued by injuries, 55th picked, rumored not to get signed and given playing times, fans like you....but he overcame them all.

any NBA club is not that stupid to sign any player that's not really an NBA material. millions aspired, thousands have tried but only few have made it. Mostly in the case of Mills who has to battle it out against personal obstacles. Anyone got signed whether with 10 day to max contract is an NBA player.

you're the one who seems to not follow anything to do with Mills. few times he made it to the NBA countdown with those dazzling passes and crucial shots.

its not circus shot. its called teardrop jump shot that is a must for smaller players like Boykins, Conley,Alston etc when facing against a lot taller defender around the basket.

and you guys stop making Paul Allen as the scapegoat behind Mills' playing contract. Allen made himself a billionaire because he can see potentials to things we can only perceive and hate.

And Patrick Mills will not get any offer again, but at least he already proven that he can play at the highest level.

and oh did i say that he outplayed your combinations of best point guards in China? yes. and i can do much about if it still pisses you out :)

Reply #322118 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=6717753

Blazers extend qualifying offer to Mills.

Reply #322121 | Report this post

Years ago

Patty has been extended a qualifying offer by the Trailblazers, see end of the article. http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=6717753

Reply #322122 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

I'd also like to say that I have no idea what the Japorms post ^^^^^^^ above means, but it is really pissing me out.

Reply #322124 | Report this post

No Deal!!  
Years ago

Looks like Patty will have a job next year. He will either be retained by the blazers or signed and traded.

Reply #322130 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

The minimum he can be offered is 125% of his previous salary, which amounts to approx $1.2M for next season.

Reply #322132 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

From the ESPN article:

Portland also extended a qualifying offer to Australian guard Patrick Mills and exercised options on forward Luke Babbitt and guard Elliot Williams.

Mills, 22, has appeared in 74 games over two seasons in Portland, averaging 5.1 points, 0.7 rebounds and 1.5 assists. But he has also been a fan favorite, often flashing the team's trademark "3-goggles" with his hands after Portland scores a 3-pointer.

Reply #322137 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:21 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754