Visionary
Years ago

Stadiums

Is it about time ABA was restricted to Saturday and using lets only wayvile pasadena morphett vale dome and starplex
best facilities.
Pool income and provide dividends to clubs.
might make more interesting viewing for publuic witth decent facilities , games every week same places so easier to package sponsorship deals , program and promote.
Seriously is embarrassing asking guests to go to the other stadiums - no atmosphere no facilities noo roo the list is endless.Rationalise amenties and grow.

Topic #25795 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lol yea in dream world!

Reply #322185 | Report this post

pallas5  
Years ago

Somwhow I don't think Visionary is really an appropriate name in this case. Oh dear.

Reply #322191 | Report this post

Stadia?

Reply #322193 | Report this post

ringlord  
Years ago

Now that Bianco is broke how about basketball move into the mega building at gepps cross-get Norwood/North/West/Western/Woodville all to move into that building i bet it could house 10 courts at least.

Reply #322195 | Report this post

LMOA  
Years ago

Who is gonna pay for the floor.

You are looking at $250K per court for proper floorng.

Thats $2,5M my friend.

Reply #322198 | Report this post

+'s not -'s  
Years ago

pandas

Reply #322200 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

I was surprised to hear that the building complex was $60M to construct.

All jokes aside, a ten court stadia at the point would be perfect for the city. I know it is "north of Gepps Cross", but there would be 500,000 residents within 15 -25 mins of it.

Securing the site and then refurbishing/converting the buildings would take some investment, but I suppose that's why BSA want a slice of the canteen profits . . . .

Reply #322203 | Report this post

Really  
Years ago

Peease tell me thats a joke Jack!

Reply #322205 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Do I ever joke?

Reply #322206 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Panda cage in the corner of the stadium. Shutdown their enclosure at the zoo, charge an extra $5 for entry into games, inclusive of panda viewing. The tax payer wins because they don't loose money on the zoo enclosure, basketball wins through more revenue, the only loosers in all of it are the pandas.

Reply #322210 | Report this post

+'s not -'s  
Years ago

good points jack.

great spot and having seen dandy in full operations a big stadium would be great.

don't know if it would be happy families getting the clubs to move in together.

Reply #322216 | Report this post

Visionary  
Years ago

So what is wrong with the idea of centralising games at these stadiums - What wrong with using best facilities ?
Whats wrong with sport having a base that becomes recognised in community for Basketball viewing
Whats wrong with trying to build revenue base

Tell you whats wrong negative people who live in fish bowls -
Maybe if some times people ideas were explored might actually be some good come out of it
Visionary i might not be - BUT negative i am not.

Reply #322220 | Report this post

Ganymede 41  
Years ago

"Pool income and provide dividends to clubs.
might make more interesting viewing for publuic witth decent facilities , games every week same places so easier to package sponsorship deals , program and promote."

I think this has merit. If the concept is worth exploring we need to know what people would pay. With decent facilities and 2 ABA games, I would go to Wayville, Pasadena and Dome. I would not pay above $12 adult admission or take kids above $5. Eat and drink some. If the season programming was well laid out I'd buy a season pass - I would want entry to any stadium for any round. With kids in junior competition, it is easier for me to commit to ABA on every Saturday than 36ers (go when I can).

Reply #322227 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How do we fit 2 games in at one stadium on a Saturday night. Currently we have 1 game and it finishes at 10. If we start earlier you will have problems with people getting there from work or other sporting commitments and if it is later how can we get juniors involved??

Reply #322233 | Report this post

Visionary  
Years ago

sorry 233 we currently play 2 games women men at a stadium - if have 5 stadium operating each Sat that all teams playing in a venue - your point lost on me.
more people involved - more games at one base more attractive

Reply #322241 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

There are a number of sports with centrally located "master arenas" and then clubs with their own stadiums for trainings. Softball is one sport with the West Beach stadium (Barratt Reserve). For example, Seacombe played at West Beach and trained at one of the local Seacombe ovals. (don't know what they do now)

There are benefits of a central stadium that include sponsorship. Softball SA had quite a lucrative sponsorship with SAFM in the mid to late 80's. Softball was also written about extensively in the Crow-vertiser all those years ago as well!

Reply #322246 | Report this post

Ushiro  
Years ago

Used to enjoy the old days at Apollo when you used to be able to watch 4 "District" matches in the one venue on the same night. All Junior boys were either on a Friday night or Saturday morning at the old Forestville and Junior Girls the same time slots, but at Bowden. Progress is great or is it?

Reply #322254 | Report this post

freddles  
Years ago

Visonary I think the point is although your thoughts have merit. How do you think you are going to fit games into one venue. If we currently play one women's one men's game each sat night across five venues. starting at 6.30 for the women's men's finishing about 10.30 where can you fit another two games in do we start and 5 and finish at 1? and run two womens games and two mens games? Using Adelaide Arena (dome) as an example you could run two games on court 1, two on court 2 in the current 6.30 - 10.30 time frame but your specators will be sorely lacking by running two courts you lack side on access for specators. Using wayville court 1 would be fine for specators but they would struggle with seating on court 3. then you would lack warm up areas.

to run as many games as you want in a few venues you would have to shorten the games, less warm up time, less half time etc and lengthen the program.

If you are suggesting using only a few venues and only putting games on each week in those say AA, Wayville, Pas, MV and Plex you would be favouring southern suburb people in distance travelled to venue also give home court advantage to the teams that play in those venues.

The old format of women on tuesday night on show court at AA and men on wednesday night worked well, hoever even with three games there, and two games at then Forestville stadium meant a late night but there was a lot to be said for that in terms of specator numbers. However it was to remain on weekends do you play women on saturday and men on sundays?

Reply #322260 | Report this post

ringlord  
Years ago

Just think about the paying power of all those teams/clubs at gepps cross together, that's around at least 300 members not to mention social basketball tournaments.By the way why the hell does a court cost 250k my friend installs wood flooring he recons the price is way inflated who installed it at other stadiums-the same people who where in charge of the stimulus spending.

Reply #322320 | Report this post

Really  
Years ago

They put in a chaep court at pasadena and where did that get them?

9 month out of use and another $450K in a new one.

Reply #322327 | Report this post

ringlord  
Years ago

Sorry i meant to say a combined 200 teams at 8 players per team around 1600 members.Just wondering how much did it cost to install a new court at hillcrest i read around $40000?

Reply #322332 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:31 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754