ando
Years ago

NBA Lockout 2011

The NBPA and NBA have not come to an agreement and will result in a lockout in 2011/12

The last lockout was in 1998/99 and lasted 6 months, cutting to only 50 games.

More here : http://on.nba.com/mQ3iuW

Topic #25798 | Report this topic

LC  
Years ago

Yep - was always likely to happen.

Now lets see what the result is - whether we may see guys like Patty Mills end up returning to play in Australia.

Reply #322208 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

If guys have insurance issues with playing for national teams I can't see how they are going to get guys to play NBL for peanuts. Don't get me wrong, it would be great to see a guy like Patrick Mills tearing up Gary Ervin.

Reply #322211 | Report this post

SRT070  
Years ago

this was mentioned in an earlier article, where Clarke said they are keen to get Patty if the lock out happens even if its for just a few games.

Reply #322213 | Report this post

Big Marty  
Years ago

This goes to show what happens when salaries get inflated beyond common sense.

While I can understand "why" lower paid players would warrant a stand; those on 16m+ a year are well overpaid and should probably take a pay cut for the betterment of the league.

Yes, there is always the arguement of "They're pro athletes and only have a limited number of years"; last time I checked, players earning 200k still seem to live normal lives after they retire. It's just the playboys who forget what reality is that couldn't handle a paycut.

Reply #322217 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

Mystro - I'm assuming you are referring to the issue Neilsen faced a few years back? That related to BA covering the premium for his Euro club to allow him to play for the Boomers.

In this instance, I'm assuming that a lockout has the effect of releasing both parties from their contractual obligations temporarily. If a player wants to head overseas and play, it will be at that player's risk.

It is really interesting legal situation.

Reply #322218 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Paul Pierce could he heading down under to play!

Reply #322222 | Report this post

alexkrad  
Years ago

2 reasons why I dont think we will see any currently rostered NBA players in the NBL.

Too great a risk to the players, if they don't get insurance which I doubt any NBL club would pay, then they get injured they will lose big. Would you give up millions of dollars to go play a couple games in another country?
And lets face it they wont be coming here for the money, If they did need some extra pocket money they will be off to Euro surely.

Apart from the publicity what does any NBL team have to gain from getting an NBA player? Maybe if we were playing in huge empty stadiums (sydney maybe) there was some money to be made but most of the games are usually to a decent turnout per centage of bums on seats anyway.
As soon as the lockout is over the NBA player will be on the next plane back to America and then the NBL team will be left one mega star short. Winning a couple of games at the start of the season to a sell out crowd is not as important as having a consistant season and making the finals.

Plus who could they get that the general public would know about apart from Patty Mills? All the big names will be sitting in their mansions playing NBA 2K12 on their 180" TV's. Dont say Majok he does not count, although likely to be back in the NBL now.

Reply #322223 | Report this post

Kr  
Years ago

Obviously no-one wants to take a pay cut but it amazes me that players earning $5mill a year on average have no concept of the fact that without the owners they wouldn't have a job and would have to go elsewhere. Why is it ok for the business owner who employees these guys to make a loss, while the players whinge about making multiple millions. Got to love the combination of unions with inflated egos.

Reply #322226 | Report this post

RL  
Years ago

If the NBL had a clue they'd go down the A-Leaugue route and allow teams to sign a marquee player without it impacting their $1mil salary cap. For example the Kings could try and sign Iverson for a season and pay him $750K or something like that. Would certainly get attendances up for that season and generate some more interest.

Reply #322228 | Report this post

Steve cairns  
Years ago

I don't profess to understand how the NBA structure works but I see it more as a flow on affect with the lock out . We will not see NBA stars coming to the nbl but we will see opportunities for current d league players or Americans that are in Europe . The caliber of import available should improve.

Reply #322229 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Paul Pierce is looking at the Waikato Pistons in the NZNBL, where his life-long friend Jason Crowe currently plays.

He has said that there is a real possibility that he could come down under to unite with his best friend Crowe.
They were high school teammates at Inglewood, grew up together and everything.

Crazy stuff.

Reply #322230 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

the Doctor: yes and also guys like Ginobli with Argentina.

A big issue is also that the new generation of Team Owners have paid absolutely huge sums of money (350-450 million) for these teams that will not give them a return on their investment for years to come unlike the "good old boys" who picked up their franchises for a lousy coupe of Mill in the 70's.

Reply #322231 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

lol Macdub, Waikato will pack out the school hall with Pierce signing ;)

Reply #322232 | Report this post

Don't thionk so  
Years ago

The question I pose.
Why would any NBA club release any contracted players to play in any other leauge during a lock out.
I wouldn't do it

Reply #322234 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

NBA clubs dont have any contracted players at the moment, that is the whole effect of the lockout.

I think we are more likely to see free agents go overseas than guys who will automatically have a contract once the lockout finishes. Those guys wont have any insurance issues.

Reply #322235 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

good post axelrad

Reply #322237 | Report this post

No Deal!!  
Years ago

I think the NBL will benefit by getting a few guys who were on the fringes of the league. I assume that the players won't get paid during the lockout so guys that were on non guaranteed minimum contracts last year would definately be looking for somewhere to play. Also how does this effect the Dleague? I bet some of the top guys in that league would be willing to come down if the lock out extends to them.

Reply #322242 | Report this post

Ineedmore  
Years ago

Thought this was interesting.

.....an estimated 60 percent of NBA players, according to a Sports Illustrated investigation, are broke within five years of retiring despite an average annual salary in their league of $5.85 million. Many NBA players make fortunes before they prove they can do their jobs. That system is unfair to the stars of the league, and proves to be unfair to the youngsters, too, because they are made wealthy before they know what to do with the wealth.
NFL players go broke in droves, too. Sports Illustrated estimated that 78 percent of NFL players are bankrupt or close within two years of retirement, but the NFL statistic is less surprising......

By Jim Souhan
Star Tribune (Minneapolis)

Reply #322243 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

great post Ineedmore. You only have to look at shows like "Cribs" etc to see that a lot of these guys are living a dream that can't last forever.

Reply #322245 | Report this post

@rangaMITCH  
Years ago

Indeedmore, good pickup there. It's amazing to think that so many players are so fiscally inept.

In regards to the NBL. Just the fact that there will be no NBA season is a massive opportunity for the NBL. People who are fans of the NBA will hopefully need to fill their basketball-watching void with something. This could be the thing that brings people back to the NBL. People who have don't really watch it at the moment might begin to watch it because there is nothing else. It might make people realize it isn't all that bad!

Reply #322247 | Report this post

Big Sexy  
Years ago

An ex-player come out and stated that most people would be amazed how many players live pay check to pay check, that is why so many would be looking for jobs.

Mystro on the insurance for national duty, Ginobili said in an interview the players where talking to the union to see what the can do to let in regards to insurance so players can play for there county

Reply #322252 | Report this post

Coopz  
Years ago

Ineedmore, maybe NBA players should employ Shaq's money advisor.

Didn't he say when he retired, that he has never spent a single cent of his playing contract money, only his endrosements? all that money went into investments.

That seems like a very smart, and obviously rare, decision now that i've seen that stat.

Reply #322266 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Big Sexy, I also saw something about that but you can understand where franchises are coming from with the amount of $ they are paying players per season and to have them go get injured playing for their country for free but for the betterment of the game internationally something needs to be sorted.

Reply #322270 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

where's high stakes hoops when you need it hey

now would be an awesome time to run that !!

Reply #322300 | Report this post

Who Me  
Years ago

Anonymous 300

From what I have heard, stay tuned!!!!

Just waiting for the Lockout to be official!!!

Reply #322301 | Report this post

pwned  
Years ago

No where else in the world can an employee tell the boss that he wants 60% of the companies earnings. Just work for what your employer wants to pay you!!

Reply #322312 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

it's not just about sharing league revenue pwned

Reply #322337 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

If there is any truth to the Pierece and Crowe friendship above, if im the sixers im signing Crowe right now to get Pierce, sort of like a package deal.

Would be amazing if true to see Pierce play in NZ or Aus.

Reply #322341 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

I'd look at Crowe regardless, has been playing well in NZNBL

Reply #322347 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Yes, it is plausible(spl?) that Pierce could come and play down under.

Crowe and Pierce are pretty much 'best friends'.
They are childhood friends, played at same HS and worked out together and they have remained in contact.

In fact when Pierce had to throw the first pitch at a Boston baseball game, he got Crowe to walk out on the diamond with him.

Could definently happen, believe me! Pierce wouldn't care about money at his age--

He would want to play in a league where there isn't too much pressure and where it isn't too demanding --Obviously if he went to Europe, the schedule is much more demanding and there would be more pressure on him because the leagues over there are much harder.

Reply #322355 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

That is a pretty cool connection there MACDUB! I'd love to see Pierce play down under. The guy is an absolute gym rat and I could definitely see him itching to play some competitive games while the lockout is on.

Not sure I'll hold my breath for him to come here though, as he is still under contract for 3 years and $47 mill, which is an awfully large amount to insure!

KG'd tear him a new one too, if he got injured and couldn't help the Celtics make one last run in a shortened season!

Reply #322356 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

yea it would be amazing to see Pierce play in the NBL, i hope the 36ers atleast investigate this.

As Mystro said Crowe is probably worth considering in his own merit, and would probably come reasonably cheap given he is playing NZBL, which could give us more $$ to sign a better Aussie with our last spot, or to throw at a gun 2nd import, and if we can get him to convince Pierce to come and play with him for a few games then that would be a huge BONUS.

As said above Pierce might be happy to play for a NBL salary given he is already loaded, and to be honest this is the only way it would ever happen, he would have to come for 200k max.

I'd almost sign Crowe no matter what just incase as you wouldnt wanna regret missing Pierce in the NBL, and if he comes cheap enough the worse case scenario is we sign Crowe on the cheap (who is better than our imports last year anyway), we could still offer Ervin or any over stud imports we are looking at the other import spot if Pierce doesnt come and just get the best Aussie big we can get, at worst sign a Vanderjagt or Holmes, at best get a Baynes or Nevill.

That would at worse give us

Johnson/Vanderjagt
Ballinger
Weigh/Creek
Crowe/Herbert/Ng
Ervin (or Stud import not neccessarily PG as Crowe can play PG)/Crosswell

If dreams come true and Pierce comes with Crowe we would have something like

Johnson/Vanderjagt
Ballinger/
Pierce/Weigh/Creek
Herbert/Ng
Crowe/Crosswell

obviously Johnson/Pierce/Weigh/Creek would have to play the 10-15mins back up mins at PF between them, which would be fine IMO, just imagine what Pierce could do in the NBL with the right attitude, id be backing him for around 30pts, 7 assists, 10 rebounds atleast.

It probably wont happen, but we can dream, and the 36ers should atleast be making enquiries to Crowe about this.

Reply #322359 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

http://sportsblog.projo.com/2008/07/the-truth-is-pa.html

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/basketball/celtics/view/2011_0220stronger_hometown_pierce_gives_back_to_inglewood/srvc=sports&position=also

These articles confirm the friendship, the fact Crowe was there when Pierce threw the first pitch, as mentioned by MACDUB and mentions they were best men at each others weddings, obviously not guaranteeing Pierce is coming to NZ/OZ but gives the rumour some merit IMO.

WOW just imagine it, obviously a long way to go before it happens, but yea ill dream its possible, and hope the 36ers make contact with atleast Crowe about this.

Reply #322360 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

I know the Breakers are trialing Crowe as of now(along with Jerry Smith)

So the 36ers would have to hurry to go after Crowe. He is experienced, and can still do it all ala. His GC Blaze days.

You know that they are good friends when they were best men at eachothers weddings,and the weddings were a day apart.
You don't just invite a random stranger to be your best man..you've obviously had a LONG and CLOSE relationship with that person.

Reply #322363 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Pierces age and value to the Celtics would make it difficult to get him on a court down here but I do think in the long term 2 guys with a friendship like that would quite possibly and more than likely have a shared goal of playing together on the same team again before they retire. The chance of Crow getting a spot on the Celtics is slim so Pierce would have to be the one to sacrifice, but with his accolades and finances it isn't an impossible dream.
If Crowe gets a spot on a good team and can find a home in the near future the Pierce/Crowe duo could happen and I also agree that the NBL would be more likely than Europe due to the more relaxed schedule and relaxed lifestyle associated with Australia. Salary cap is the only issue, Breakers have a large portion of players that are ex development players that would be "on the cheap" so if Crowe was cheap enough and minus Bruton and Penney's contracts they may have a decent shot but still a long one as players minimum in the NBA would still be a lot more.

Dreams are free at least.

Reply #322395 | Report this post

Keep dreaming!!!  
Years ago

I think my eyes are going bad. I thought I saw people suggesting pierce would consider playing in the NBL...

Reply #322413 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

yeah your eyes are bad, we are talking about trying to keep the league as shitty as possible for as long as possible to appease you

Reply #322425 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

'Part of the season won't be cancelled' Stern said that.
Still so far apart. All or nothing , then.

Reply #322437 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I doubt money would be the issue. If they wanted to play together the main criteria would be a chance of winning and a nice place to live I reckon.

Reply #322438 | Report this post

Keep dreaming!!!  
Years ago

I don't want to see the league turn to shit. But please, Paul Pierce? It was a nice litte fact about how Pierce and Crowe are mates and how potententially could play for Waikato Pistons but just leave it there!

Reply #322446 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

I agree Paul, when you have won a NBA Championship as well as Finals MVP with 9 Allstar appearances over a stellar career, it aint all about the $ in your twilight years.

Reply #322505 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

but limting injuries is, and paul pierce won't risk that

Reply #322508 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Injuries wont be a concern once he's retired though. Who knows what might happen.

Reply #322512 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

no one here has said Pierce will take a contract with the Breakers/Sixers over the Boston Celtics as we all know that is bullsh#^t. What we are saying tho as he nears retirement from basketball he may consider playing elsewhere in another league especially if it's with a close childhood friend.

Reply #322518 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:23 am, Wed 17 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754