Bob
Years ago

SPEAR WANTS TO COACH AGAIN

The word is that former Sixer Championship guard and West Senior Mens Championship coach, David Spear is looking to coach again, and soon, and it wont be at West.

Any ideas where and would he be a good choice?

Topic #258 | Report this topic

Ronnie Ratliff  
Years ago

i assume you mean at senior level. Are there any ABL men spots available ? doesn't appear so at this stage

Reply #1960 | Report this post

S Vidmar  
Years ago

Woodville women could do with some help.

Spear could be the man to turn them around.

Reply #1967 | Report this post

Pinnochio  
Years ago

Rumour has it the Norwood mens position is vacant with Mat Dobson heading o/s

Reply #1972 | Report this post

j bags  
Years ago

Roger, roger!! That is a big 10-4!
Matty D is on his way to Germany for 12 months if not more.

Good luck to him.

Bags the informant.

Reply #1974 | Report this post

Pinnochio  
Years ago

Any word on his replacement. Norwood arguably have the most amount of talent with Dan Thompson returning this year and definitely under achieved last season. They need a coach that can pull it all together. Any ideas???

Reply #1997 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

sapper

Reply #1998 | Report this post

Bob  
Years ago

Sapper??? Spear would be a far better fit for that group of kids. He's a proven coach and he's won a championship as a coach.

Sap would be god but I feel Spear would be a better bet.

The other rumour on Spear is that he could be looking at a womens coaching job, maybe at the Bearcats....thats the word.

Reply #2000 | Report this post

X_factor  
Years ago

the word is legs.......spread the word!

Reply #2023 | Report this post

Libertine  
Years ago

I guess I'll just have to do some snooping.... ;)

Reply #2032 | Report this post

team 1  
Years ago

sapper to player coach

Reply #2056 | Report this post

Ronnie Ratliff  
Years ago

say it aint so. Rupert great ABL player, could be a great ABL coach. Combining the two is a recipe for disaster, how can he possibly do both to the best of his abilities. Get Rupert to suit and test the waters and see if Shaun Ryan, Simon Pritchard or David Spear are interested in coaching again. If Thompson and Matthews were available then Norwood quickly becomes a championship contender. Thoughts Libertine

Reply #2062 | Report this post

charmaine  
Years ago

i am not libertine, but i would think with such a line...norwood would quickly become title favourites!!!
they would have so much depth they would not know what to do with it....

Reply #2063 | Report this post

Libertine  
Years ago

I think the key for Norwood is finding a balanced core group, over the past two years it changed a fair bit, remember Eley was their star at the start of the year and now everyone has forgotten about him. Younie left before the start of last season, and Mellow only had one come back season, and a host of other squad players all have come in and out.

Adding Matthews and Thompson to the squad, coupled with the right attitude, SHOULD allow them to become contenders. I've spoken to Matty D about Sapper, and we were both certain that even if Norwood was his preffered choice, other clubs with more money would be chasing him too!

Matty did the honourable thing, letting the club know so they wouldn't be screwed over come January - and think about what he's done with the team since he came back - taken the clear WORST team into the finals and into a spot where they have the platform to contend finals for a few years, not BUYING a team but trying to develop one with a base of ex-Norwood junior players returning.

Potential Norwood rotation:

Guards: Matthews, Bell, Arnold, Schaftenaar, Webber, Januszke
Forwards: Thompson, Krause, Foster, Lomman

And youngsters to make up the 12: Lampshire, Nitscke and if any of us other U20s bother to go to training and get into shape for next year over Summer.

Can't argue with those names!

Reply #2075 | Report this post

Ronnie Ratliff  
Years ago

any comments on the three possible coaches i mentioned or is that too close to home

Reply #2077 | Report this post

Pinnochio  
Years ago

Ive heard Matthews is a not going to be back for this year. Wow pretty impressive line-up though.

Reply #2078 | Report this post

Libertine  
Years ago

Who knows? MD was the preffered choice, obviously, but with his leaving I guess it's an open book. I'm sure all 3 would be more than suitable candidates.

I knew a Simon Pritchard was involved in the club, coaching his daughter in U10 div2, not sure if it's the same guy anymore, as my sister moved up to 12s, but I assume it is. Although I haven't seen him around the club, infact I haven't seen Simon since my ill-fated SASI days. Can anyone in the club confirm this?

Without Matthews, just gives my boy Webber more opportunities to show his stuff, which he did in the last few weeks of the season. If they can keep that core of 9, then who knows what could happen?

Reply #2089 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Simon coaches u/10 girls at Norwood. Sapwell to coach Norwood next year. Sky's the limit for this team. Just need some positive energy and chemistry which Sapwell should provide.

Reply #2094 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

i see he is no longer at the 36's

Reply #53236 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:01 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754