I
Years ago

Shooting Percentages

At what percentage do you start to rate shooting as exceptional.
What is a pass mark and at what percenage do you think restrictions need to be placed to those who think they can shoot but cant.
looking at some stats - there are few shooting below 25% but putting up shot after shot - do you give them green light to keep firing and hopefully get back in the zone

Topic #25831 | Report this topic

depends on the level of comp as to what %s you would consider acceptable.

Reply #322732 | Report this post

Ineedmore  
Years ago

I could be wrong but I think I remember reading Michael Jordan had a career average of 50 per cent from the field?
Happy to be corrected if I'm wrong.
But that's not a bad starting point, arguably the best player every to play the game only hit half of his shots.
Of course he wasn't a centre, Bill Russell, Wilt, but as I said, a starting point.

Reply #322733 | Report this post

I  
Years ago

i am referring to ABA Women /Men - i suggest percentage for both should be the same but what are acceptable pass grades - A / B / C LEVEL

Reply #322734 | Report this post

at abl

again depends on the player -

shooting guard 3 pointers 40%

deuces - 60%

Foul line 80%

Reply #322737 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

What player (that gets consistent minutes) shoots at 60% fg or 40% from 3point range?

Reply #322739 | Report this post

Juror 12  
Years ago

mfp,

Not many ABL players should be shooting then!

Only one person in ABL with more than 1 FTA per game is averaging 80% or more from the line - Darren NG.

For threes, only Breheny (!?), Pearce, Howell, Madgen and Bond make the 40% mark (again more than 1 #PA per game)

For twos it is a bit harder to work out but it looks like no one who shoots at least three times per game is above 60%. Creek looks to be closest at around 58%.

Reply #322742 | Report this post

in this day and age probably more guard role players -

to hit the trey of a catch and shoot

shoot a duece of the dribble

Reply #322744 | Report this post

Cat in the Hat  
Years ago

mfp - you're kidding with those percentages, right? Wow.

Reply #322745 | Report this post

i think foul shooting could be better across the board

Reply #322748 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perimeter Players-
Shooting %= 45%
3PT %= 35%
FT %= 80%
Post Players
Shooting %= 50%+
3PT %= 35%
FT %= 80%

Frankly, the only reason why shooting percentages are so low in ABA comps is because teams simply don't practice them frequently enough. I've also noticed the assist/turnover ratio is absolutely apalling. It should be about 2 assists per turnover in a game. So around 20 assists should be 10 turnovers. But frequently you get 20 turnovers and like 10 assists.

Reply #322756 | Report this post

Big Marty  
Years ago

MFP, Larry Bird got about 4 seasons averaging 40,50,90 and we're talking about one of the best shooters of the game.

There aren't that many people out there who are going to hit that.

Better to aim for 40,40,75 as your standard, with a 40,45,85 as your "Take notice" radar.

Reply #322758 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

At state basketball league level -
Carla Borrego is first in FG% = 59%
second in scoring = 23.0 points
(4th in rebounds = 10.4)

Reply #322765 | Report this post

sorry i was just going by my averages when I played

Reply #322766 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

It is incredible to go 40,50,90 over 4 seasons like Bird did.
Steve Nash did it 5 seasons in a row from the 2005-06 season to the 2009-2010 season.
In fact, some of Nash's shooting seasons have been unbelievable, heres a list of some of his best ones: 50,47,91
50,43,93 (twice)

A good target for a SG in the NBL would be:
45, 36, 80

Reply #322778 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:40 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754