/
Years ago

U16 nats thread (spoilers)

starts today

Topic #25841 | Report this topic

ballboy  
Years ago

a VERY under-rated lass came out and kicked ass..last off the bench....a lazy 31 points..team high rebounds AND assists..good work Michaela ..a Sturt junior? Eagles? no..Warriors!!

Reply #322949 | Report this post

/  
Years ago

well done to the player involved.

result interesting WA country not a renown powerhouse.

Reply #322951 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

let's wait until the last of the games before we count our chickens because as the thread on 16's stated, not the strongest pool for many a year. 30 points in the back yard is good and this deserves congratulations but hold off with the praise for just a bit longer.

Reply #322953 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

ballboy, it is sad that you take a great game by one of our SA reps and turn it into a club swipe. Says more about you than the girl, or clubs, in question really!

Reply #322955 | Report this post

pug98  
Years ago

Ballboy, that is a pretty ridiculous post. Pretty sure she's representing SA this week, not her club. But if you really want to turn it into a shit-throwing contest, you are just going to make yourself and the club in question look pretty stupid.

Reply #322968 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

just a proud mum or reli flying high and while stupid, understandably so.

Reply #322970 | Report this post

Years ago

See metro B with a W as well with a strong second half v Qld Nth

Reply #322972 | Report this post

Dirty  
Years ago

A I allowed to say,

ballboy, looks what happens when she gets real coaching. Might show that playing for a good coach is a good idea. She might therefore want to move to Sturt.

Sorry, but it is the obvious thing to say.

Reply #322979 | Report this post

imnoballer  
Years ago

Boys

Round 1
DATE/TIME HOME TEAM AWAY TEAM VENUE RESULT
Sat 9/Jul 9:00 AM U16 NSW MM def. U16 SA CM 1 (Map) 70-48

Sat 9/Jul 9:00 AM U16 WA MM def. U16 NT M 6 (Map) 97-35

Sat 9/Jul 1:00 PM U16 VIC CM def. by U16 TAS M 1 (Map) 60-88

Sat 9/Jul 1:30 PM U16 NSW CM def. U16 WA CM 5 (Map) 85-44

Sat 9/Jul 7:00 PM U16 VIC MM def. U16 NZ M 1 (Map) 81-55

Sat 9/Jul 7:00 PM U16 SA MM def. U16 QLD NM 6 (Map) 81-73

Girls

DATE/TIME HOME TEAM AWAY TEAM VENUE RESULT
Sat 9/Jul 11:00 AM U16 QLD South Women def. U16 NZ Women 1 (Map) 49-47

Sat 9/Jul 11:00 AM U16 VIC Country Women def. U16 ACT Women 6 (Map) 88-26

Sat 9/Jul 11:30 AM U16 SA Metro Women def. U16 WA Country Women 5 (Map) 81-80

Sat 9/Jul 1:00 PM U16 SA Country Women def. U16 NT Women 6 (Map) 90-43

Sat 9/Jul 3:00 PM U16 NSW Metro Women def. U16 TAS Women 1 (Map) 71-5

Sat 9/Jul 3:00 PM U16 VIC Metro Women def. U16 QLD North Women 6 (Map) 62-39

Reply #322996 | Report this post

ballboy  
Years ago

not a swipe at Clubs..just refreshing to see great players can originate from ALL clubs. Reading months of posts on here you would be led to believe that only a couple of Clubs can lead you to the righteous land..obviously NOT the case. Definitely VERY early days and not counting any chickens.The girls have a severe lack of height and will struggle in this department.Good luck to them though.

Reply #323000 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

ballboy: Good players can certainly come from Woodville but to improve they need to leave because unfortunately, your coaching is deplorable from seniors down in your beloved girls.

Reply #323011 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

SA Metro women can now lay claims to being the first SA team to lose to NZ, that I can recall anyway. Interesting rotations.

Reply #323026 | Report this post

WOW  
Years ago

Yeah, whats happening to SA U16 TEAMS?

Reply #323027 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sat 10/Jul, 2010
Playoff for 7th and 8th
Logan Metro Crt 3 (Map) 69-71
U16 SA Metro Women def. by U16 NZ Women

Geez, as far as I remember last year we lost also!

What is wrong with SA teams... Maybe other teams are stronger than SA this year?
No that couldnt be it... It must be Neils fault or Bastetball SA...

Reply #323030 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nz rule! SA Metro anyway.

Reply #323036 | Report this post

Rob  
Years ago

Get all over the Tas men to win their first medal in 30 years

Reply #323048 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

No that couldnt be it... It must be Neils fault or Bastetball SA...

Neil is involved in the selection process as part of his role

Reply #323049 | Report this post

missed out  
Years ago

god help us if we just arent good enough for once. No thats right must find someone to blame or ridicule. Sink the boots in thats what everyone does O wonder what would happen if you had your name next to it this site wouldnt have anyone on it.

Reply #323052 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can only pick from the pool available but you can be flexible in how you play and who you start and that's not happening. SA have a long history of promoting and anointing players and if you are not one of them nothing will change their minds. Basketball is still a name game and pedigree will continue to overshadow selections and is successful because of the extra time they put into the chosen few.

Reply #323054 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

"Missed out" are you for real? Its not about sticking the boots in it is fact not fiction he is involved in the selection process nothing sinister about the comment at all. You are a fine one to tell others to put their name next to a comment though aren't you "missed out" what a joke!

Reply #323056 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bahahah that is gold ...054... Yea so many big name players playign for SA at this yrs championships. They must have been picked on their pedigree alone .... wow!!! I check this site out once in a blue moon and I get such a laugh when I do... Brilliant!

Reply #323070 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So why reply, touch a nerve?

Reply #323071 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

woodville coaching deplorable for womens and players have to leave to improve - sad but true.how can the club continue to dev juniors when no future to aspire to at higher level.
just showspotential is not going to be dev at the lesser clubs - good coaching brings out the best - power house clubs have that.

Reply #323077 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anon is right. This is part of the problem, with the unfair advantage those aligned with programs he oversees gather from this, whether perceived or real.

The hysterical over-reaction from "missed out" suggests it has touched a nerve!

Reply #323109 | Report this post

wnbl fan  
Years ago

sa country G had a close game with vic metro - strong medal chance IMO

Reply #323116 | Report this post

////////  
Years ago

23-2 second quarter vrs vic country G - not good (

5 from 43 shooting

Reply #323166 | Report this post

wise owl  
Years ago

been saying for a long time our shooting at u16g level here has been below par - particularly from outside the paint

Reply #323167 | Report this post

shoot2  
Years ago

there are some great shooters from outside the arc in this age group. They just weren't selected.Emphasis was on speed and transistion. Not half court sets.

Reply #323169 | Report this post

Callisto 90  
Years ago

Comparing results of shooting for this age group shows that comparitively compared to other years they are no where near as good at shooting from the 3 point line.

Reply #323174 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think metro letting Jarrod Clark goe was a big mistake!

Reply #323175 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sasi has lots of shooting practice just no shot correction so they shoot shoot shoot and nary a word said. Only the cream get individuals

Reply #323185 | Report this post

going to be below par results this year -

u16g MW - looking like just a top 10 fin
u16g CW - top 6 - maybe a medal game
u16b MM - may scrape into top 8
u16b CM - should finish in top 12

Reply #323189 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

anon #323175,

More improtantly, how is it that someone who has managed to coach the the same age group to a 8th and 10th place finish in previous gets the job.

Considering he is the very person who accepts nominations, it all seems a bit suss and has the potential for bias.

Reply #323190 | Report this post

pug98  
Years ago

#190 - I'm guessing you don't know the story about how Paul came to be coaching this group. If you do, then you understand why he is there. It was hardly by choice. Somebody had to do it, and when Jarrod pulled out nobody else wanted it. It was too late to re-advertise. I believe it was offered first to one of the assistants, who knocked it back.

Reply #323192 | Report this post

Uncle Rico  
Years ago

Isnt it great to see Tad Dufelmeier hooping it up again! 25/4.7/3 across his first 3 games. Are there any other sons/daughters of NBL/WNBL greats competing in the Nationals.

Reply #323195 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

pug, when you run a closed shop you can't expect any different. No issues with paul and they are lucky to be able to call on him but they need to get all clubs more fully associated with state and get a head coach who is willing to let the coaches run the show.

Reply #323197 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think the people that say state coaching is a closed shop are those that either expect to be approached to take on the role and not do the hard work to get their skills up and prove themselves to be able to secure such a role. Let your egos go start as an Assistant Coach do a year or 2 in that role then you MIGHT get the opportunity to coach a state side.

Reply #323198 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

will nsw metro defend their title?

Reply #323202 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

pug, do you wonder WHY nobody else wanted it (apparently including the assistant)?

Why would anybody want to subject themselves to the bully-boy treatment of the state director?
Whilst BSA allow this sort of behaviour to continue they will fail to entice excellent new coaches to the program, where favouritism to people in certain programs is expected. Unfortunately this means coaches who would be excellent teachers and examples to our young athletes will be excluded.

Reply #323206 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

crap crap and more crap.BSA are advertising for 2012 coaches which close soon for 20 and 18 with the 16 in August. If I contact BSA after these close dates and ask them how many applicants I can almost bet that only 3 will have applied for 6 teams, sorry make that 8 teams as ivor burge teams are considered a state team as well. Surprise everyone and put an application in.

Reply #323207 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Does BSA wonder why every other state has people falling over each other trying to get involved in their state programs, yet we struggle to get any applicants as you've suggested? Surely this suggests that something is wrong with the system?

Being treated poorly by those who should be showing leadership and guidance.

And I doubt more people are going to apply this year, or believe the "open shop" advertising, with the political goings on and coaching changes that occurred this year.

Reply #323208 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

323206, show me a coach not there now that should be.......

Girls Marcus Wong, Troy Schroeder, Simon Pritchard....

Boys Paul Arnott, Michael Chrisan, Tony Casella.....

Show me who is better... Most of these have played Div 1 basketball and ABL, have coached at club level for decades, have been assistant state coaches, have been on abl coaching staff, all have had SUCCESS at developing teams, winning state champs and most have medalled at the Classics and also developed players (the boys group have all coached Forestville which produced 1 Brad Newley amongst others)....

What would you look for.

Reply #323212 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Pritchard will not be coaching in the 20 women this year. He has a daughter in the age group.

So that means at least one new coach.

Marcus wong and Paul Arnott and Michael Chrisan are all new to their roles this year, so I would say that there has bee a good t/o of coaches. Possibly too much!!!

Just my 2 cents worth

Reply #323213 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

look for nsw metro to lose to vic metro in the final of mens....Tas 3rd, act 4th

in the womens...
Vic country to beat vic metro in the final
nsw country again 3rd place like last year...

feel free to disagree

Reply #323214 | Report this post

Nix  
Years ago

I would suggest that Paul Arnott did ot perform well enough at his previous Nationals to warrant another opportunity. 8th and 10th isnt good enough. Plenty of other coaches have done better at both club and State level that should have been asked.

Reply #323221 | Report this post

Tassie Pete  
Years ago

Anonymous,

Hang on a minute!!!!

Getting ahead of yourself with your prediction of NSW Metro losing to Vic Metro in the mens final.

NSW Metro obviously didn't heed the warning from Day 1 when Tassie flogged Vic Country 88 - 60. Tassie showed some real grit on Day 2 overcoming and suprising NSW Metro 56 - 52.

With one pool game to come against WA Metro, our much under rated Tassie men are one win away from finishing TOP of their pool. NSW Metro would finish second and play Vic Metro in a SEMI final.

I'm with Rob. Tassie are a fair dinkum chance to medal. Brilliant tournament so far. Keith and the boys are doing us proud.

Go Tas!!!!!!!!

Reply #323231 | Report this post

hooper112  
Years ago

NZ are still a possible chance for the semi if they win all remaining games

Reply #323235 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nix, I think you need to take into consideration a lot of state coaches get sick or are unavailable in very average years when talent is thin. Paul should not cop flack for picking up the team that no one wanted.

Reply #323246 | Report this post

DR10  
Years ago

The S.A. U-16 Girls team are falling very flat as the week goes on. Mr Wong has once again proved that he needs 'A' grade talent to produce results. He has never been a development coach which is clearly what this State Metro team is this year. Mr Wong is only use to coaching Stud teams, he was terrible selection for this group! As for the SA Country team, their team & performances will go only as far as their PG will take them. Mr Semmens Golden Child PG whilst talented cant carry the whole entire load for SA Country. There are other very talented girls in that SA Country group that need to get more shots for them to be competitive. Mr Semmens it cant be just about your Golden Child! Apparently a very PG was left home as a reserve, i bet they could of used her now!

Reply #323309 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

NSW country men...
again another disapointing year it would seem is appearing
this group i heard was going to be special
same coaching group as last year led by marty mclean former nbl player
the group had a few guys back from last year
has lots of bigs, plenty of talent from what i hav seen... but not the results
anyone got any ideas y???

Reply #323312 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anon, the talent of this group is not thin. They should have finished top 4. The girls on the other hand were not around the mark.

The fact that BSA can not even see the massive conflict of interest of having the person who accepted the nominations ending up coaching the team just shows how out of touch it is.

Reply #323415 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So if not Paul,who was only asked when appointed coach stepped down and assistant refuse the position, who would you like to have asked. There is a difference between who the applications get sent to and the selection panel that makes the decision. No conflict exsits. Just because you say so does not make it so.

Reply #323419 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And just because you say it isn't doesn't mean it's so either...

Someone who was not in a compromised position. Someone who had not had access to everybodys application.

How do you know anybody else WAS even asked? Did they go through the other candidates for the position. Did they head hunt a candidate who was not compromised?
Why do excellent candidates refuse to apply for what should be the top of the mountain for coaching in this state.

I can think of a lot of people who would be good in the position. Whether they would be willing to play the politics is another matter...

The fact that you refuse to acknowledge that there is something seriously wrong with what occurred with this age group in a number of different ways this year suggest that you are one of the BSA employees that lead us down this path! No wonder basketball in SA is in such poor health!

Reply #323425 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not a BSA employee but am still interested to know which applicant that you seem to think didnt get asked. You seem to know more then anyone. Were you an applicant?

Reply #323427 | Report this post

Coach_Carter  
Years ago

Completely agreeing with DR10 with the SA Country girls. I have been watching the tournament for years as coach and spectator. Mr Semmens seems to pick a Golden Child of his sides. This year and last year he has selected Golden Childs both PG's both of the same association (Mount Gambier) is this not the same town that Mr Semmens is the development co-ordinator of?
The side has had lots of problems shooting the ball in the last 4 games, Why? Maybe because all of Mr Semmens plays revolve around his Golden Child this tournament (ave 34min a game) and teams are starting to pick this up. Come on Mr Semmens a bit of common sense please, this is a national level competition, create something different because this is what exactly what happened last year.
The team also looks tried. There inability to push back in defensive trans is shocking is this maybe because half his starters are averaging over 30 minutes a game? I think so.
So in conclusion is Mr Semmens exactly the same as Mr Wong from SA Metro, does he need 'A' Grade talent to run a basketball side or does he have the talent but not using it properly? I think it is the second option, he has the side but not using it. If he coaches next year he will have to think about not having that Golden Child in his side.

But another question needs to be answered, Is Mr Semmens job on the line???

Reply #323436 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How are the SAC boys playing? any one seen their games?

Reply #323439 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

And what happened to the original coach in the boys?

Reply #323441 | Report this post

Spark Plug  
Years ago

Brilliant effort Tas men!!!!

Top of Pool B.

Hope you can claim another scalp tomorrow by taking down the ACT.

Top spot has given you guys a real chance of making it all the way to the Gold Medal game.

Apparently (not confirmed) this is the first time Tas has headed up a Pool.

The Basketball Tas trophy cupboard is pretty bare too. Best result was Silver in 1984 against a Shane Heal led Vic Metro. And must have been a Hugh Greenwood team in 2007 that made the final four but lost both the semi and bronze medal games.

History beckons guys.

All the very best to the team and a pat on the back to Keith, Dave and Josh for doing such a stellar job so far. And that's not forgetting Justin Schueller for "driving the bus" for the last few years. Cheers.

Reply #323444 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Sons of import guns starting to court their own success

"IN JUNIOR basketball across Australia a quiet revolution is under way. The offspring of naturalised American imports are becoming teenagers and following their fathers into elite basketball."

Reply #323454 | Report this post

Coach_Carter  
Years ago

The SAC boys are stuggling they finished 6th and were disapointing but up against the better Pool of the competition. Qld North (6th Pool A) and WA Metro (5th Pool B) were both also terrible.

The SAC boys have tried to run offenses and play team offence but it just hasn't come together. There half court man wasn't really the best so they have had to play a lot of zone. Possibly the end for a few of the coaches in there side through retirement not being sacked they have got a great head coach and good assistant but they may get out of it.

WA Metro really tick me off (Girls 6th on Pool A and Boys 5th in Pool B), this is because in a city of 1.7 million people (4th Highest in Aus) there inability to beat country and other metro sides is disgraceful. There offence has struggled to score and there ineffectiveness against the press has been unworthy of playing at the national level, there defense has tried to play press but they were unsuccessful in this.

Well done to Tasmania in the men though the coaching and players have been great all week. I still don't think they will get over Vic Metro but never say never someone needs to beat those fantastic Victorians.

Reply #323474 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Carter. Probably need to quit if they can't teach D and rely on zone. Stupid comment on WA as country teams occasionally have better teams than metro ones as talent is not related to birthplace.

Reply #323482 | Report this post

Spark Plug  
Years ago

Am home in Tasmania.

How will our boys go today against the ACT?

Anyone watching over in Melbourne got an opinion or prediction they'd like to share?

Reply #323489 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"The SAC boys are stuggling they finished 6th and were disapointing but up against the better Pool of the competition. Qld North (6th Pool A) and WA Metro (5th Pool B) were both also terrible. "

As terrible as your ability to work out ladder positions Coach_Carter?

SAC just played Qld North, so one of them finished 5th not 6th.

And can someone translate the comment about coaches?

Reply #323491 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

With the lack of results again for sa country girls and the poor rotations off the bench for the second year in a row I cant see Trevor retaining his position.
If the selection panel did so I could see a lot of kids only going to albury / pt mac and not bothering with nationals.
Certainly time for a change in the girls.

The boys on the other hand have busted their guts out all week but are juat lacking the depth.

In all honesty other than 18 boys where the coach has had 1 year in the job iI would say a change will be made on the other 3 fronts.
16 boys as the coaches will more than likely move on and in the girls....both coaches should be moved on.

Reply #323602 | Report this post

Coach_Carter  
Years ago

Just relpyling to a few things that were raised in concern to my last post.

The 'Anonymous' who was the first one under my last post, I agree with the talent base in differemt areas, but the WA Metro teams have continued to be in the botton half of the competition for some years.

The 'Anonymous' who was the third one under my last post. My ladder positions were correct they SAC Men played played QLD South in there pool matches and played QLD North in the finals matches you 'knowitall' toss, your problem is that you think you can follow games online without being there, you twat that never works. The question raised about coaches as well was that in regrads to my last post? Because if it was, I was refering to the SAC Mens coaches not being put out of the job, but retiring themselves. There a good coaching team but haven't been getting the results in previous years.

Reply #323618 | Report this post

Metta World Peace  
Years ago

I hate to say i told so but i did call that neither of the SA U-16 Girls team would finish in the Top 6. Poor reflection on SA that both teams played off against each other for a 9th & 10th finish today! Heads should roll for these type of results, Mr Semmens has to be 'Dead Coach Walking'. My mail is that there is 'Bad Blood' between Mr Semmens & Mr Bald (Guru/Expert/God Like Basketball Idol)& this result has rubber stamped Mr Semmens marching orders. Mr Semmens can now safely retire & relax down in sunny Mt Gambier. As for Mr Wong who is the most overated basketball coach in SA this type of result clearly shows up Coaching inabilities. Mr Wong will be in hurry to get back to coaching in his Sturt bubble where is nicely protected coaching talented players who can make him look like a 'Great Coach'!

Reply #323620 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"The SAC boys are stuggling they finished 6th and were disapointing but up against the better Pool of the competition. Qld North (6th Pool A)"

Hey Coach_Carter, perhaps instead of name calling when you've been shown to be wrong you should learn how ladder positions work.

SA Country played Qld North in a 5v6 match, so they both could NOT have finished 6th, as you so expertly suggested. It's not that hard to work out, just too hard for you it seems.

I'd read the rest of your posts, but you obviously have ZERO credibility!! Clueless.

Reply #323678 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Qld Nth finished 5th in their pool.

Reply #323680 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

carter, SAC have a history of underperforming with talented groups. They sent 5 coaches to bask in the expected glory a few years back with a star studded line up and finished nowhere.

Reply #323681 | Report this post

wise owl  
Years ago

2 points for the girls teams - undersized - Vic metro towered above us and shooting.

if you go to an u16 div 1 G game on a friday not very often can you see a player shoot a tough basket in the clutch play.

Not a lot of half court sets.

5 years ago there were players around that could.

i am sure the entire outfit gave it their best.

Reply #323684 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wise owl they won silver at 16s three years ago didn't they and bronze in 2009. They have been average in 10 and 2011 as happens. sAC coaches have consistently let their players down in years they should have won gold. That or the players were and are over rated.

Reply #323724 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:32 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754