wnbl fan
Years ago

carla at F'ville

just seen this player at her first game - she is good enough for the lightning !

athletic and strong great match up between carla and M bowley

Topic #25843 | Report this topic

wnbl fan  
Years ago

I mean I have seen her play for the first time... my bad !

Reply #322971 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

But she signed a new deal with T-Birds. Don't the season & codes clash?

Reply #322980 | Report this post

wnbl fan  
Years ago

I have been around for a few years now - and just seeing her in once off tells me she has game.

Reply #322983 | Report this post

igotmadskills  
Years ago

my guess more money in netball.... less stress on the body if you play GS the whole time also.

Reply #323016 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Is living in Adelaide , I hear.
Looking to naturalise
I thought ,it was the perfect solution , last season, to play in ADL in T-Birds offseason and
would've been worth a phone call.
Seems the coach thought he'd be a good GM or so.
'Who is this Carla Borrego? I've never even heard of her.'
Seems there was an import that
played 3 or 4 games. Not sure if she scored.
I disremember her name.

Most likely, Borrego will play for Australia,now.

Reply #323017 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

More money in netball?? You can't be serious. It's still only semi-professional!

Reply #323020 | Report this post

wnbl fan  
Years ago

she has played ncaa - acc conference with university of miami.

she has height, huge wingspan, athletic and strength.

I understand CB went straight into Tbirds from basketball after a few years.

not a bad effort.

she is a must for adelaide sporting scene - could play either sport.

Reply #323023 | Report this post

Ushiro  
Years ago

A bit of info on Carla for those who dont know much about her background.

Carla Borrego (née Williams; born 11 November 1983) is a Jamaican international basketball and netball player. Borrego grew up playing netball in Jamaica, but gave up the sport to play women's basketball, first at Broward College in Fort Lauderdale before gaining a scholarship to the University of Miami. Before her move to the United States in 2004, Borrego was a member of the Jamaican national netball team at the 2003 Netball World Championships in Kingston, where she was the second most prolific shooter of the tournament. Her studies in the United States prevented her from playing for Jamaica in the 2007 Netball World Championships.

She currently plays domestic netball for Waulgrovians, and for the Adelaide Thunderbirds in the Australasian ANZ Championship. Borrego also made herself available for selection in the Jamaican national team for tours in 2010. However, later that year, Borrego signalled her intention to become an Australian citizen, with the possibility of joining the Australian national team

Reply #323033 | Report this post

Really  
Years ago

Head to Head with M Bowley looked pretty close to me.

Seekamp was the outstanding player of the game.

Reply #323035 | Report this post

Wam Soosnam  
Years ago

re: carla at F'ville

I think the minimum salary for the ANZ league is 15k. That is what someone like Cody Lange(a rookie) gets.

The pay is actually better than Basketball!

Reply #323047 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wam Soosnam: You're right - Wiki reckons that high profile players in the ANZ championship can make up to $40,000 AU. Netball's profile seems to have risen heaps in the last few years. Maybe womens basketball should check out what they've done

Reply #323073 | Report this post

Ushiro  
Years ago

The thing to remember about Netball is that it is the most popular female sport in NZ and has high participation levels in both OZ and NZ. Oz and NZ are the two best Netball teams in the world with the two most recent world events - Commonwealth games and World Championships both being decide by 1 goal in overtime.

The ANZ Championship sees equal numbers of OZ and NZ teams playing in the ANZ Championships so the best players in the world (imports included) are playing in the competition.

If we saw the WNBA and WNBL having 5 teams from each country playing in a similar 2 country competition, then perhaps the same interest and $$$ would be involved. Disregarding the actual current strengths of the teams, just imagine if you got to see the Seattle Storm play Bulleen, etc as part of a regular home and away competition. Then perhaps you have the feel of the Adelaide Thunderbirds playing the WBOP Magic in last years final in front of 10,000 at the Entertainment Centre. Wouldnt it be good to see for the WNBL/WNBA, but it would never happen.

Reply #323122 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

compare the press netball gets to basketball, look at the way the journo presents it with pics then look at what basketball our journo does and the excuses why

Reply #323123 | Report this post

fan  
Years ago

However the Subway Cup, equivalent of ABA, gets absolutely no coverage in The Advertiser. NetballSA caused a big furore when they decreased the number of teams in their elite competition to 6 last year because it was not producing players at the level required to play for the Thunderbirds. Do you think there are any youngsters playing ABA here that could be picked up by WNBL clubs? Maybe we have too many teams also, but as with the netball decision to keep Garville who have been deplorable again this season and leave out the team that won a premiership in 2009, politics will always be present.

Reply #323132 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

In 2010 - When she whispered , in my ear
and told me she wanted to play basketball in australia
in t-birds off-season, I couldn't believe just what I could hear.
But australian basketball had no interest in her.
So, she went off to jamaica.
Lightning had a rag-time season. If it was a season at all.
In 2011 - F'ville heard her.
We'd just be curious to know whether she could do both , lightning n t-birds.

Reply #323143 | Report this post

Wam Soosnam  
Years ago

ANZ League is February to May. WNBL is September till March

Given Netball preseason would start in November at the latest, I couldn't see it at possible or likely.

Reply #323147 | Report this post

wnbl fan  
Years ago

that was one big wing span denying in lanes.

a huge reach when mons could not put a clean shot up even with the ball above her head.

that was a huge one handed, ring level sweeping rebound whilst spinning in the air.

Reply #323160 | Report this post

wnbl fan  
Years ago

surely an invite to some lightning trainings ?

Reply #323161 | Report this post

Really  
Years ago

wnbl fan,

She didnt outplay M Bowley and hardly put up great stats in a losing team.

And Seekamp isn't a WNBL star, then Borrego isn't even close.

Reply #323162 | Report this post

wnbl fan  
Years ago

i didn't say she beat mons.

consider the amount of bball she has played since miami and looking at her physique / athletic ability and presence - I feel she is wnbl material.

Reply #323165 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They'd take her height and reach every day over seekamp

Reply #323186 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

She should play Korfball. An interesting sport.
A cross between Basketball and Netball.
Being played at the dome , this week.

Reply #323199 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

At the end of the day Carla could easily play WNBL. But why would she? Netball offers MUCH better pay, more exposure, more perks and i can assure you she gets extremely good treatment at the Thunderbirds. The Lightning (or any WNBL team for that matter) could not compare. I know what I'd be doing!

Reply #323480 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

At the end of the day Carla could easily play WNBL. But why would she? Netball offers MUCH better pay, more exposure, more perks and i can assure you she gets looked after extremely well at the Thunderbirds. The Lightning (or any WNBL team for that matter) could not compare. What would you be doing?

Reply #323484 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why girls bother at all playing district is a puzzle considering the othe options. Social basketball for girls seems more logical and cheaper.

Reply #323539 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Netball is much more girl friendly

Reply #323562 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:20 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754