ziah
Years ago

Crocs sign Eddie Gill as second import

EDDIE GILL:

http://www.nbl.com.au/crocodiles-hom...ion-point-man/

put up 15.1 points, 8.7 assists, 4.0 rebounds, 1.7 steals in 35min in D-league in '09.

Topic #25881 | Report this topic

Hendo8888  
Years ago

Can't argue with any of those numbers. Howard and Winder averaged around the 17 from memory without any of the secondary stats to go with it. So pretty impressive in multiple areas.
8.7 assists at D-League level is very impressive.
NBA experience.
2 imports in their 30s, so they have gone with experience from their imports.

Reply #323502 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not often I have heard of an import that comes to the NBL!

Reply #323505 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

That article certainly talks him up a lot. If he's as good as they're suggesting, the Crocs should do well next season. The roster looks like this now I think:

Gill (I) K Williams ?
Crawford Cedar
Mims (I) ?
Hinder Blanchfield
Big Red Allen

They will definitely need Crawford to have another good season and for Gill to be a scorer, but they have a very solid front line and some firepower off the bench with Cedar.

Reply #323507 | Report this post

ziah  
Years ago

Beantown, although DJ Rod has a different idea (and he would probably know) I would imagine this:

Gill/C. Cedar (K. williams is contracted to Cairns)
Crawford/M. Cedar
Mims/Blanchfield
Hinder/??
Schenscher/Allen

The article states they are basically looking to the lower AUS leagues for their last two spots. Crocs also previously stated their backup pg spot was between Cedar, Norton and Kelvin Robertson. Norton isn't finished school I don't think, and I don't see why they would choose Robertson over the developing Cedar when they have Gill in fron of them. I'm loving the look of this team.

Reply #323511 | Report this post

Kr  
Years ago

Ziah, loving the look of the Crocs too. Still think they need a mobile aussie 3/4 for one of the last spots in the wortho, Redhage, petrie mould to defend those types of guys.

Reply #323513 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Ziah, I was thinking after I posted that I had confused Williams teams! All these FNQ clubs look the same to me LOL.

Didn't realise Blanchfield was seen more as a SF by Crocs fans. Haven't actually seen much of him.

Is that Mitch Norton you're talking about? U19 PG who twisted his ankle and missed out on the recent U19 WC's? He'd be a nice pickup for the Crocs as a development player if you can get him.

Reply #323514 | Report this post

ziah  
Years ago

Kr, The article lists Mims as a 3/4 player, and personally I think if you went with a lineup of:

Gill
Cedar
Crawford
Mims
Schenscher/Allen/Hinder

That particular spot could be covered. I would love to see the Crocs sign another young guy with potential (although I have no idea who) to backup the 4, and essentially have an extremely experienced starting 5 lead a young and up and coming bench

Reply #323515 | Report this post

ziah  
Years ago

Beantown, same guy. I think I remember recently DJ Rod saying that he was a year out of going to college/signing with a team, which is why I would imagine Cedar will get the nod. Logically, the only other course of events I could foresee would be to sign Robertson with a view to picking Norton up next year, but again I would have though he would have some college interest that would seriously jeorpardise that plan, and then we may lose C. Cedar as well in doing so.

Reply #323516 | Report this post

Big Sexy  
Years ago

Just a question, has the big spending on Crawford and Big Red in the off season limiting the imports the crocs are chasing?

Reply #323517 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Crocs have been chasing a pg from Melbourne who is currently at college for their back up spot.

Gill sounds like a more experienced version of Will Blalock with a bit better jumpshot. Was a solid player in his stints in Europe from memory, and played with Aron Baynes last year.

Reply #323521 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gill/Norton
Crawford/Cedar
Mims/Blanchfield
Hinder/Holmes
Schenscher/Allen

Looks good to me!

Reply #323522 | Report this post

Big Sexy  
Years ago

Anon, I like your team, I forgot the Crocs imports weren't great last year (Blalock and Ellis) anyway so if the are a tiny bit better the crocs push for the title

Reply #323524 | Report this post

DJ Rod  
Years ago

Mitch Norton broke a bone in his foot in the last lead up game in the U19s - having the same pins that Joe Ingles got put into his foot about 5yrs ago - should only be 8wks off the floor.

I'd say Mitch will stay at AIS for one more year...

Blanchfield is definitely a 3!

i THINK Mims will be off the bench in the same role as Ellis last year, meaning Gill, Cedar, Crawford, Hinder & Schenscher are starters.

& btw - Townsville isn't in FNQ, we are NQ ;)

Reply #323525 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mick Cedar sucks though! Only thing he can do is shoot, and he can only do that every now and then!

Reply #323526 | Report this post

ziah  
Years ago

I dont know a lot about the college guys, but is it Dellavedova?

Reply #323527 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I highly doubt it's Delly!

Reply #323528 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ben Lous, Joel Naburgs or Brad Kelleher maybe?

Reply #323529 | Report this post

ziah  
Years ago

So do I, so how many Melbourne point guards are at college other than he?

Reply #323530 | Report this post

ziah  
Years ago

So do I, so how many Melbourne point guards are at college other than he?

Reply #323531 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ben Lous, Joel Naburgs and Brad Kelleher.

Reply #323535 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

That looks like a very talented starting 5!

Gill
Crawford
Mims
Hinder
Schenscher

Not too sure about the bench though..Allen, Cedar, Blanchfield. There has to be concern over their ability to defend.
I suppose that with a 40 min game, as opposed to a 48 min game, you can get by without as many bench players.

Reply #323537 | Report this post

ziah  
Years ago

Not to discredit them, but why pursue any of those three over Norton or developig C. Cedar?

Reply #323540 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

It's none of those three. Apparently he had offers from NBL clubs before going to college, so can play a bit.

Reply #323541 | Report this post

DJ Rod  
Years ago

Who said Melb?

Reply #323542 | Report this post

ziah  
Years ago

Paul did! He said it! It was him!

Reply #323546 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Those were the only three point guards from Melbourne according to AussiehoopsAmerica.

Reply #323547 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

FFS It's Corey Maynard. He was in Townsville recently working out with the Crocs players and coaches. He grew up in both Melbourne and Adelaide.

Reply #323548 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Paul.

Reply #323554 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Yeah it's Maynard, prob confusing saying he is from Melbourne on an SA forum! Sorry. Dont know if he is close to signing or whatever, but he is a talent.

Reply #323558 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gill is pretty expereienced and is a former NBA journeyman. Doesn't mean he'll be any good now (Awvee Storey) but you'd have to think he'll be an upgrade on Blalock.

Reply #323571 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Crocs should sign Holmes

Reply #323583 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Blalock had been around the NBA scene too, though not nearly as much as Gill. But he had good D-League numbers too. Holmes would be a perfect fit for Townsville now if he were willing to take that role.

Schenscher
Hinder
Mims
Crawford
Gill

Allen
Holmes
Blanchfield
Cedar
Maynard/Robertson/C Cedar ??

For once Townsville people might be justified in expecting a championship.

Reply #323590 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Crocs should sign Holmes

Nah, he's taking his skillz to Europe!

Reply #323600 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If you look at Gills stats in games where he has at least 20 min playing time. You will see he has great shooting percenteges from any where on the court. He is a lock to lead the league in assists, and he will surprise you with his D. He is a great addition to any team NBL or NBA.

Reply #328670 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

A guy who seems to add more than his stats suggest. Unselfish team player, a better version Blalock in my mind.

Reply #328688 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

8.7 assists a game is the definition of unselfish Gill is the better option.

Reply #328736 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The imports looked great during the game. Mims is all athlete and Gill everything I expected in a pg of his caliber. He looked like he was going half speed and he was still the fastest one out there. He is going to be a really good floor general I am willing to bet that everyones numbers will go up this year because of him. This is going to be an exciting season.

Reply #329171 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I meant to say a better version of Blalock, not that Blalock is a better option!

Reply #329186 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:38 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754