billo
Years ago

Sixers new import to be announced Tuesday?

Heard on the grapevine that the Sixers will be announcing a new import this Tuesday, apparently he's already signed but they're holding off on making the announcement.

Apparently he's a PG coming straight from an NCAA div 1 college, short, quick and a 90% free throw shooter (ie Sixers have put Ervin in the too hard basket). Some pretty vague descriptions, I know.

Topic #25890 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Id take it by short, he is VERY short. Excuse for me not being excited about any signings until they actually perform.

Reply #323722 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

Going by those descriptions and checking the NCAA foul shooters that are 90% (or better), that are a senior and that are short, here is the list that I came up with (Chris Warren is the best of that list from looking at their stats)

Justin Robinson
B.J. Jenkins
Devon Beitzel
Devon Peltier
Zamal Nixon
Chris Warren

Reply #323726 | Report this post

Muzz Buzz  
Years ago

Mickey McConnell snr at St Marys
Matches Billo's criteria
Marty would have a solid relationship with the coaching staff at St Marys
Numbers are similar of better than Patty's last year there.
Has an agent that has placed players in the NBL before.

if Billo has heard right this is where i am laying my money.

Reply #323728 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mickey McConnell

Reply #323729 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Sounds like a pretty good guess muzz buzz! Has some great shooting stats his senior year and won WCC player of year so some +ve points in his favor. If it's him u would think the key will be his ability to adjust to the pressure of being an import in a professional league straight from college.

Reply #323731 | Report this post

Flinders80  
Years ago

Mickey McConnell

Reply #323732 | Report this post

Flinders80  
Years ago

Reply #323733 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Been told it is Mickey! Cheap option for us to then make a play for a bigger "rep" experienced import

Reply #323734 | Report this post

Muzz Buzz  
Years ago

Mills v Mcconnell
Last year at St Marys Comparison

PPG Mills 18.4 McConnell 16.4
APG Mills 3.9 McConell 6.1
RPG Mills 2.4 McConnell 2.5
FG% Mills 40.2 McConnell 50.4%
3p% Mills 33.8% McConnell 45.6%
Steals Mills 2.2 McConnell 1.2
Assist to Turnover Mills 1.35 McConnell 2.66

According to Draft Express Patty has a bigger reach and is slightly quicker ( considering he is super quick McConnell cant be considered slow)

Patty averaged only 2 points per game more but also took 5.2 shots per game more.

McConnell would also be the 2nd WCC POTY to play for the 36ers behind Orlando Phillips.

A lot to like if this is the guy.

Reply #323735 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If it is Mickey i am super excited. This kid can play. He could be a long term option as well. I hope he doesn't get the Tyndale treatment from ignorant fans who fail to see that it takes time for a guy coming out of college to make the adjustment to pro ball.

Reply #323736 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He is a better pure PG than patty, but not as good of a pure scorer.

Reply #323737 | Report this post

Justin  
Years ago

Very happy if it is, the guy can flat out shoot. And if he comes cheap even better. What position do we target for our second import then still a big? Hopefully not just a role player

Reply #323738 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

ira clark as 2nd import. we no what he can do and his size and age can help out our new pg.

Reply #323739 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

He looks to be like Shannon but can actually shoot and has better vision.

Here is another video with better highlights

More Highlights

Reply #323740 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

looks to be a good signing to me, for many reasons

a. he can shoot the lights out looking at the numbers and highlights on youtube, and averaged decent assist numbers,

b. his numbers stack up very well against Mills, at the same college, so he should be a very good player at NBL level.

c. he is young, which should suit Clarkes coaching style and experience of working with young players, also if all goes well, but not to the point where he gets massive european offers he could be a long term option for the sixers and develop with Weigh, Creek, Johnson over several years, or even atleast 2 or 3 years like Lisch at the Wildcats.

d. id expect he would be cheaper than Ervin so gives us more $$ to spend on our last Aussie/2nd import.

Good luck to Mickey and the 36ers, all looks promising to me, i hope they sign a good import big and the best Aussie they can get their hands on, hope Marty gets in the ear of a few at Boomers camp, ie Barlow, Baynes, any other uncontracted guys.

Reply #323742 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well Ben Allen averaged 10ppg at the same school, at look what he has done in the NBL...

Reply #323743 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Not surprised Ervin disappears into the air.
Ira Clark impressed everyone, including Euro teams.

Reply #323744 | Report this post

K.E.T  
Years ago

I am extremely happy with this, i support St Mary's and he's a freaking star for their team. Brilliant player!

Reply #323745 | Report this post

Elite  
Years ago

If you have handle, range and a mid range game, you'll succeed in this league.

His assist numbers coming in are better than any recent PG signings.

How old was Billy McCaffrey when you was the Magic's floor leader ??

Reply #323755 | Report this post

Elite  
Years ago

Meant "he" was the floor leader.

And I just checked....24.

Reply #323756 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Numbers look pretty good. Amusingly, he was drafted by a baseball team and had to tell them he was more interested in basketball. Same agent as Schensch.

Reply #323758 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

interesting article about how he likes the pick and roll. should work well with balls.

Reply #323760 | Report this post

Nutwork  
Years ago

Can he defend???

Reply #323761 | Report this post

joshuapending  
Years ago

Sure looks to have range on his shot.

Reply #323763 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

Can't really complain with any of those numbers.
Seriously impressive shooting numbers and he has good assist numbers as well.
Doesn't look like there's much that he doesn't do.
Can drive and dish, get in for lay-ups, shoot extremely well from range, find an open man... Pretty well exactly the skill set you'd want from an NBL import.
Hopefully his style can translate to NBL level because well rounded players who do a bit of everything well, but have 1 weakness (height) that holds them out of Europe/NBA generally do pretty well in the NBL.
Putting him up against Mills shows he's pretty well as good or better in most areas. Took 5 less shots, so obviously he isn't going to average as much as Mills.

St Mary's has almost become a feeder team for the NBL of late.

Reply #323765 | Report this post

K.E.T  
Years ago

After watching him with St. Mary's, he may become a fan favourite, atleast with one fan right here.

Reply #323767 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cant say i would be overly impressed if this was to eventuate. Why would we cheap out on an import guard rather than get a tested import for more money. Our main problem last year was getting balls the ball and I'm not sure that this is the best way to remedy the situation. Personally i would go for a more expensive/ better guard and then start johnson who is killing the state league and looks to be a bigger body than last season and get a backup big who is a beast and crashes the boards.

Reply #323768 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

TJ Campbell in the same conference - 13.6 points per game on 43% from three, 5.6 assists per game.

It's a bit of a lottery bringing in guys straight from college. He has skill, but will he adjust? On the other hand, it could be a brilliant play to try and gett Patty Mills in for a stint.

Reply #323769 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

Do you think this could assist getting Patty Paul? are they mates from St Mary's? looks like he may of been Patty's back up for 2 years at college, wow would be a brilliant idea if thats the case.

Would be awesome if it turned out, i sort of thought that this signing ruled out getting Patty Mills, being PG's

I guess they could go

PG Mills/Crosswell
SG Mcconnell/Ng
SF Weigh/Herbert
PF Ballinger/Creek
C Johnson/IMPORT

Would definatly be a great scoring/shooting team, and fun to watch, possibly a few concerns defensively, but should be able to score with the best of them and if they can put in a good team defensive structure could be quite a good line up.

Herbert, Creek are good defenders and hopefully the 2nd import will be aswell so we will have a good defensive guard, forward and big,to throw at opposition scorers, so could be a good balance in the end.

Then i guess you would have someone like a Mottram train with the team and come into the 10 if Patty goes back to the NBA.

Would be awesome if it happened!

Reply #323775 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mitch Creek couldn't guard a four in the league, or hold his own on the boards either.

Reply #323776 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's a bit of a lottery bringing in guys straight from college. He has skill, but will he adjust? On the other hand, it could be a brilliant play to try and gett Patty Mills in for a stint.

Pretty much what I was thinking. You can't get too excited about a guy straight from college as for the most part if he were any good he would've been signed by a team in Europe but think it might have more to do with trying to entice Patty Mills (with a few extra dollars available too as this guy would be coming cheap).

Reply #323777 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Williams and McKee were great straight out of college, as was Overton from memory. Devendorf was ok, while others have been terrible. McConnell could be anything. There are plenty of very good Americans who have never played in Europe or only played there for a short time.

I suspect Sixers would prob play with one import if they could get Mills, then when the lockout ends they can replace him, prob with a frontcourt player.

Reply #323784 | Report this post

Muzz Buzz  
Years ago

Agreed.

However Ballinger, Rychart and Lisch show that you can get it right as well.
Also how many NBA players have we seen come through the league that have been a bust of sorts.

Recruiting a quality import is never easy as my other thread shows. The 36ers have recruited Brunson, Hays, Farley and Brooks. 4 imports they have sourced themselves since 1985 that people would consider keepers shows that it is hard to get right.

The difference between Mickey and TJ is vast. Mickey won the WCC player of the year which is no small feat.

I may need to correct him being the 2nd 36er as i just checked the list and there is a Jeff Brown on there. So he may be the 3rd player to win it and then be a 36er.

Reply #323785 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

Yea, i was thinking that a 2nd import like a Galen Young, would possibly come as cheap as Mottram, and could fill the back up PF/C role, like he did in Perth, a guy like Young would also provide, hustle on the boards, leadership and all round defense. If too expensive id say we would just end up with someone like Mottram.

Yea Creek isnt a PF, definatly a SF, but could play short spirts at SG or PF if needed (as could Weigh), i just listed him there as i was just listing the bench players, not 100% by position, depth charts would look more like

Mills/McConnell/Crosswell
McConnell/Herbert/Ng/
Weigh/Creek/Herbert
Ballinger/IMPORT (Galen Young?) or Mottram/
Johnson/IMPORT (Galen Young?) or Mottram

Reply #323786 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I have watched Mickey for a couple of years and if this signing is true, he will be a very, very good player in this league.
He will dominate, mark my words.

Reply #323787 | Report this post

No Deal!!  
Years ago

I like it. Get him on board. I have seen him play plenty of times and he is a fantastic drive and dish player, which is perfect for our team. He is also an elite shooter who is not afraid to put up big shots. His play reminds me of Barea from Dallas he constantly looks to get into the teeth of the defence and is always moving.

Also for those who are saying that getting a college player is a lottery, I can't see how it's any more of a lottery than bringing in any other import. We went 0/4 (apologies DeVries, who was good til hurt) last year with our imports, none of whom came straight from college.

Reply #323788 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

If we get Mickey Mac I'd prefer we didn't bring mills in and instead spent the money on an import big. We need to keep team balance and build team chemistry with everyone around in preseason.

Reply #323790 | Report this post

ineedmore  
Years ago

Exciting to see we are doing something.

But did he hit a three point bank shot, on the siren, to the win the game.....

Reply #323793 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Barking up the wrong Tree!! woof woof!!

Reply #323794 | Report this post

pwned  
Years ago

on the siren? don't think so. unless its a different game than the one posted on here

Reply #323801 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Nagy seems to think they won't do Mills.
Gotta get a big.
Ballinger curiously trained alone agen , not fit.
Today included a half dozen players I didn't know.
Fan's reactions at games shifted when they came out and didn't know new players and their favorites had gone
After a quick look today, 4 white , Herbert is the best player.
Ingles never appeared.
7 white , I think was Newley.
I fostered links to players, last season.
I don't think I took a lot from today.

Reply #323802 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

Quite confusing their Camel but compelling :)

Reply #323803 | Report this post

AK-47  
Years ago

Looking just from the video that King James posted, which was a very good clip, I predict Mickey to average about 12 and 7 in the NBL. Agree with the JJ Barea comparisons and also appears to have a touch of Jimmer from deep. Some of those long range threes were beautiful!

I think he's a solid option and would be quite happy to see him come over. Don't know what his defence is like but as long as he comes with the effort and intensity i'm sure he'll work out.

Reply #323804 | Report this post

noose  
Years ago

"He's got range". Hope that suits the NBL 3pt line distance of 6.75m, whereas for the NCAA it is 6.32m.

Reply #323805 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

In case anyone needs helped understanding Camel's points:

Fan's reactions at games shifted when they came out and didn't know new players and their favorites had gone
Here, Camel is talking about fan reactions at games, not at the day's trainings. Think about the Timmons season - it was hard to connect with short-term hirings.
I don't think I took a lot from today.
Camel didn't recognise many players at training and had a lessened emotional connection as a result.

I think Mottram is training with the team and looking for a gig - Camel, if you weren't confident about recognising Newley, would you recognise Mottram?

Reply #323806 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

I gotta use words when I talk to you...

Like Crosswell yelled out , today 'I'm hopeless
that's 0 from 4 , now.'

Not sure if Mottram was there or not..
could've been Warbout, not sure..Sorry
A little confused.
And, if Ballinger's gonna miss some games..
We need an Ira Clark type.

Reply #323807 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

It's easy to run with a guy who fits a rumour isnt it - funny if it's not McConnell. Anyway, hopefully the announcement of someone happens this week so we have something real to waste time talking about!

Reply #323810 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Paul, this anonymous poster "Barking up the wrong Tree!! woof woof!!" is a regular.

Reply #323811 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

I miss .. sometimes...I sat next to Ben Fitz
" Mickey Mac , I hear , Ben." and that was a bitta fun

(Meanwhile , Herbert, about 6 or 7 three pointers in a row, in a scrimmage , the highlight.)

Reply #323812 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I wasnt just talking about McConnell, also Baynes, Kickert, K Johnson etc etc. Sometimes, though the shoe seems to fit, it ends up giving you blisters! Still, running with rumours is what forums are all about in the off-season.

Reply #323821 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Yeah, I know what you mean. Just replying to your "funny if" comment - the anon isn't a pure anon, just a regular acting anon.

Contacted them off-forum and they don't believe it to be Mickey McConnell who will sign.

FWIW, I don't really ask around that much any more so no more in the know than many on here. Figure someone will sign and announce when they sign and announce.

Reply #323822 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ingles & Newley trained with the Tigers last week:

http://www.nbl.com.au/tigers/news/article/2011/july/joe-ingles-and-brad-newley-hit-the-court-with-the-tigers/

Reply #323823 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Years ago

It makes a nice change to the Ervin, Mills, Tucker and Homicide threads.

Reply #323832 | Report this post

DJ Rod  
Years ago

Anon would be right...

Reply #323850 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dj rod anon correct in saying it's Mickey?

Reply #323851 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Years ago

Anon's hints have left me stumped. I can't find any reason why it can't be bull, but it might make dogs out of those who think it will be McConnell if it isn't.

Reply #323858 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

Isaac - I'd be interested in a subscription service translating Camel's posts.

Reply #323863 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jawai?

Reply #323865 | Report this post

ineedmore  
Years ago

It's not McConnell.

Reply #323867 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who is it the suspense is killing me?

Reply #323868 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

doc, I hope you saw the latest one about the party at his house in the Tigers thread. It's a bit like having Alain de Botton throwing out random, barely-related musings at a dinner party. Provides something to the mix, but you're not always sure what.

Reply #323870 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yao Ming spotted at adelaide airport

Reply #323874 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

LOL isaac. according to who anon?

Reply #323890 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

joking btw

Reply #323891 | Report this post

Hoops  
Years ago

Its not Mickey, my money is on B.J.Jenkins,you heard it here first.

Reply #323922 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:27 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754