Anonymous
Years ago

Best Junior team this year in sa district?

Interested in peoples comments
Can count medals ie. state champs, classic results etc

Topic #25929 | Report this topic

Buzzer Beater  
Years ago

my 2 bob, u16 girls up the hill state champs by 40+ silver classic medal (best of any interstate team)and best of all they aint sturt!!!

Reply #324566 | Report this post

greeny  
Years ago

Didnt sturt beat them in the summer GF though?

Reply #324573 | Report this post

Buzzer Beater  
Years ago

did sturt even make the classics?

Reply #324576 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Did Eastern even make the summer GF?

Reply #324578 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

ok thats one small summer medal to sturt wow who gives a, classics silver and state champs to eastern thats 2 major medals. That rates eastern better, I think the questioned asked this year I assume its over the whole period,

Reply #324579 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

The only way to measure this is to level the playing field.

Similar studies have been undertaken to settle arguments as to whether Babe Ruth or Don Bradman was a better player in their sport based on how they played against their peers. The statisticians looked at their output and then compared it to the average, then determined the number of standard deviations from the mean (Bradman was 4.4 sigma)

http://neuroskeptic.blogspot.com/2009/10/whos-greatest-sportsperson.html

To determine this for basketball, find the average score for each division, then work out the standard deviation, then find the difference to mean for the for and against scores per team.

A mate of mine with a maths degree had a quick look at the undefeated teams in the competitions. (Only Div 1 and 2 U12 to U18 considered)

U16 Girls Div 1 - Eastern Mavericks - 2.27 SD's better in offence, 1.43 SD's in defence - Score of 3.70

U12 Girls Div 1 - Forestville - 1.87 in offence, 1.81 in defence - Score of 3.68

Other notables: U18 Girls Div 1 - Norwood - 2.31 Points

Sturt teams conspicuous by their absence, but if this was done at a club level, the story would be different.

Based on this, U16 Girls Div 1 - Eastern Mavericks are the best junior team at the moment.

Reply #324580 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Just heard back. Summative data for Div 1 Boys so far this season (4 teams per club)

Sturt Sabres (+ 9.74)
Forestville Eagles (+ 3.37)
Norwood Flames (+ 3.18)
Southern Tigers (+ 2.32)
West Adelaide Bearcats (+ 2.21)
Eastern Mavericks (+ 0.27)
Central Districts Lions (- 3.45)
Woodville Warriors (- 3.51)
North Adelaide Rockets (- 3.62)
South Adelaide Panthers (- 10.51)

Reply #324584 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Just heard back. Average data for Div 1 Girls so far this season (4 teams per club)

Forestville Eagles + 1.66
Sturt Sabres + 1.17
Eastern Mavericks + 1.14
Norwood Flames +0.15
Southern Tigers - 0.43
North Adelaide Rockets - 0.53
Central Districts Lions - 1.88

Clubs without full teams

West Adelaide Bearcats + 0.25
Woodville Warriors - 1.43
South Adelaide Panthers - 1.91

Reply #324586 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Just shows how bad district is given the poor performances at the 16 nationals

Reply #324597 | Report this post

greeny  
Years ago

not suggesting that Sturt U16 Girls are the best team. Just that there may be other more deserving teams. ie Sturt u14 Boys who won, summer, Eastern and State Champs. By bizzer beaters thinking thats 3 medals to 2.

Jack can you do you SD analysis for this team who I think are undefeated?

Reply #324598 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

I'll ask my mate

Reply #324600 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Sturt U14 Boys Div 1 have lost one game (R1 by 1 point to Norwood) but otherwise have cracked the ton twice and 33% of games are margins in excess of 50 points.

Average score in U14 Boys Div 1 is 48.1 ppg. Sturt's average score (R12) is 78.7 to 37.2. That gives them +2.28 in offence and - 1.04 in defence (3.32 points)

That R1 result is considered an "outlier" - there was a 1% chance of it occurring. When that is removed, their points go to 3.45.

Close, but no cigar. They would more than likely hold the title of the best boys team.

Reply #324606 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Sturts Div 1 boys own!!

Reply #324607 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

u18 boys.....

Reply #324612 | Report this post

imnoballer  
Years ago

Sorry but you are all wrong wrong wrong

the best junior teams in SA districts would have to be any Victorian teams coming over for a holiday

yep I went there
there it is end of argument
now you can all start bagging me instead

Reply #324620 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

(Mod: That's the spirit!)

Reply #324651 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:20 am, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754