Mystro
Years ago

Tall Blacks Squad announced.

NZBB has released the team for the Olympic Qualifying Series against Australia.

Tall Blacks: Tom Abercrombie (Waikato), Benny Anthony (Waikato), Mark Dickel (Southland), Michael Fitchett (Nelson), Isaac Fotu (Breakers), Casey Frank (Wellington), Leon Henry (Wellington), Kirk Penney (Breakers), Alex Pledger (Waikato), Lindsay Tait (Wellington), Mika Vukona (Nelson), Corey Webster (Wellington),

Isaac Fotu (Breakers Development Player) has been selected despite the fact he will not be eligible to play as he is classed as a naturalized player despite spending most of his life in NZ (if he held an NZ passport by age 16 he would have been sweet). Casey Frank fills the 1 naturalized player spot for the NZ Vs Aus series.

Great to see the addition of Michael Fitchett on the team.

Topic #25967 | Report this topic

MACDUB  
Years ago

Boomers beware. Us Kiwis are going to be more than ready.
You guys have a good buildup, but we have very good preparation as well:

Stankovic Cup (China) August 5-10

Training camp (Italy) Aug 11-18

Macedonia Trophy tournament Aug 19-21

Four Nations tournament (Turkey) Aug 22-25

Oceania Olympic qualifying series in Australia Sept 7, 9 & 11

Congrats to my boy Isaac; Very humble and hard-working guy.
Very unfortunate that he didn't receive NZ citizenship/passport before 16.
I don't think he should have to be classed as a naturalised player, its ridicolous
If he was born in Aussie then yes he should be classed as a naturalised player.
But Tonga are not affliated with FIBA and its not like he can play for them. I think the Naturalisation rule should only apply if the player was born in a country that is affliated with FIBA (i.e. his birth country actually enter FIBA competetions.

Reply #324944 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Anthony over Trueman I guess?

Reply #324946 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Trueman currently unavailable due to birth of child.
I think he will take Fotu's place for the Oceania champs.

Reply #324948 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

why would they select someone who cant play? will frank sit out some games so he can play?

Reply #324954 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

I agree Macdub, very different story if he was born in Australia but like you say, Tonga aren't even affiliated to FIBA, would they rather he played Rugby?
Steven Adams has to meet academic criteria for his Pittsburgh scholarship so has wisely put his studies before National Duties.
Unfortunate timing for Jeremiah but good on him and would be great to see him in a Black Singlet again soon.
Congrats to Leon Henry on making the squad, the way he has been playing as of late it comes as no surprise.
Reasonably happy with the squad but cannot wait till guys like Robb Lowe, Adams and Fotu can give Pledger some legitimate backup in the paint especially against the likes of Australia who have decent depth in the Centre/Power Forward positions.

Reply #324955 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

Casey Frank! Wow, I thought he had retired from all basketball.

Reply #324958 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I would've expected Nick Horvath to make the team now that he's back playing basketball again? Far better player than Casey Frank for the naturalised Kiwi spot.

Reply #324964 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Frank has been in and out of the Tall Blacks for years and would no the systems well and add a bit of experience behind Dickle and Penney. I do not rate him tho, he's great at turning the ball over at the worst time. I would have take Fotu over both of them just from a development point of view as he has all the attributes to become a very good player where the other two are a fair bit older and what you see is what you get on a good day, maybe.

Reply #324993 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Frank was excellent in Turkey last year.

Reply #324997 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

You look at that team, only 3 of them are starting 5 at NBL level and they all play on the New Zealand team.
Behind Penney, Abercrombie and Vukona, they are all just role players at best in the NBL.
Makes you wonder why we have any trouble beating them.
Apart from Marks, who isn't on the team that would normally be?
We have a huge list of players (the majority of our National team) who don't play NBL, but play higher level.

Reply #325013 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Team Chemistry and the fact that there isn't a Kiwi alive who doesn't love beating an Australian at anything.
I concede Paul, Frank did play reasonably well in Turkey. Against Australia he has made me pull my hair out on occasions with poor decision making.

Reply #325024 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Yeah I know some of those guys aren't very influential at the NBL level.
But damn, some of those players could be!

Can't believe Leon Henry hasn't got picked up by an Aussie NBL team (He will come cheap as chips and not much on the points cap and he could be a 10 and 5 kind of guy).

Webster will one day very soon be a good player in the NBL.
Fitchett -- Don't know why Aussie NBL teams haven't looked at him. Surely he is better than Rhys Martin!
Pledger-Don't know why Aussie NBL teams haven't tried to snap him up (Im sure the Breakers aren't offering him too much) and he is much better than Sam Harris.

Reply #325039 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

All the guys Macdub mentioned are very capable players at NBL level, may not be stars but will serve their purposes for good bang for buck.

Reply #325040 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

International basketball is not about having guys who play somewhere that sounds fancy. How many times do the Tall Blacks (amongst other teams) have to prove that?

Reply #325043 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The team seems a little small though - where is bradshaw these days?

also seem a little weak at the pg spot

Reply #325115 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Tait, Dickel, Fitchett @ PG.
Dickel and Tait have been running the point for NZ for along time and are well up 2 it.
Bradshaw was not available to be selected and isn't all that so prob not a huge loss.
Tall Black teams have always been small, Pledger is the only legit Centre as usual. Won't always be like that with Fotu, Adams and Loe all coming through in the next few years to bolster the Tall Blacks timber in the paint.

Reply #325155 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:03 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754