Anonymous
Years ago

Taipans sign import Jamar Wilson

Was a teammate of new 36ers import John Williamson for Honka in Finland last season averaging 21.8ppg, 4rpg & 3.3apg.

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/basketball/taipans-throw-ball-to-wilson/story-e6frect3-1226109183992

Topic #26019 | Report this topic

paul  
Years ago

Not sure how the Taipans managed this, Wilson was the leading scorer in the VTB United league (which basically features the best teams from former Soviet Union countries) last year with 19ppg. He is quick with a nice touch in the lane. Scorer first and second. Cant wait to see how he goes in the NBL.

Reply #325756 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It will be interesting also I notice his turnovers were quite high so it will be intering to see how he will match up against guys like Damien Martin who is very good defensively

Reply #325757 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

Yeah I am surprised the Sixers didn't consider getting him with Williamson. They said they have been keeping their eye on Williamson for quite sometime so surely they were noticing Wilson was out doing him for points including 6 30 point games (in 2 consecutive games he got 44 and 45 points).

Surely they would have thought that he is a proven college and European player and he combines well with Williamson so why not bring them both.

I gave the Sixers the benefit of the doubt on that one that perhaps Jamar's price tag was outside the NBL but obviously its not. I am surprised with lots of imports not working out these days that why don't clubs get two proven imports playing for other clubs (If its possible). Like the Tigers did but hunting them down in Europe like Wilson and Williamson.

Reply #325760 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

Actually Anonymous you are right about his turnovers they are horrible and that is why the Sixers probably choose Warren over Jamar. So the Sixers probably made the right decision in this case but I guess we will soon see how the two go.

Reply #325761 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Clarke actually said they found Williamson when they were watching tape of Wilson, so he was obviously under consideration.

Fearne commented that Wilson had a lot of good European offers and signing him was a close thing after building a relationship with him at the NBL Las Vegas camp, so that might explain why Adelaide didnt get him. Signing Warren, who is very talented in his own right could well have been easier and less expensive.

As for Wilson's turnovers, consider that he was expected to do a lot on a team without a lot of other talent. For mine, his 3.4 topg in the VTB league are ok given his output as the competition's leading scorer. Ervin averaged 2.8 topg last year for Wollongong as the league's second leading scorer.

Reply #325764 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

Cheers for the clarification there Paul. Either way it is good to have both Warren and Wilson in the league and should be a good season

Reply #325765 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

From the youtube clip the finland league looks very poor. Does anyone no about the standard of it?

Reply #325766 | Report this post

SixerFan  
Years ago

Finland league very much the same as SEABL

Reply #325776 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hey SixerFan, just curious, how many games of theirs did you watch last season?

Reply #325777 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Yeah, Finland league is very average, but the VTB United league has some very good teams in it, is roughly a league made up of the best clubs from the former Soviet Union.

Reply #325778 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:41 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754