Kent Brockman
Years ago

What do we need to sign?

with free agets signing thick and fast and some big announcements to come soon from interstate teams where do people feel we need to bolster our line up?

Guards : signed Hill

Forwards : signed Forman Holmes Rychart

Centre : signed....beans

you would think that Brett would come back meaning with either start Hill or bring him off the bench behind an import guard.

The middle and the 4 spot seem to be the issue for me. Dusty needs some help, Oscar is more a 3 than a 4 and Jacob is not big enough to effectively stop Brannnen / Bradtke types

Would Ben Castle be a god fit for this team? Seems the club is not interested in Nashy so we need a 3/4 role player with range.

Whatever way i look at it our back court and middle are weakness' already.

I would love to see Coop take even bigger steps this year and he can get the job done but we still will struggle size wise against the bigger teams.

Maybe Geordie Cullen for some height and inside game. This would then switch Jake to the 2/3 which i think is his most suited position.

What da yall think?

Topic #2605 | Report this topic

Doctor E  
Years ago

We need to sign Maher. I am sure this is a formality though.

I can't see Cooper not re-signing, or not being wanted. After finally making his mark in the NBL under Smyth he will surely also be a certainty to sign.

That would then leave us a guard and centre as the main requirements, with one import spot free.

I was really keen to get Derek Moore last season and am keen to get him again. Replace Rees with Moore gives us a much better team. It's not that unrealistic.

I am also pretty sure that Farley will re-sign.

That would give us a similar look to last year but with improvement in the centre position and also having Hill all season will be a bonus.

That would be a good team easily capable of going top 4 again and maybe further.

I'd be very content if we could put a team together like that.

Reply #29246 | Report this post

Mix Master Wipe  
Years ago

I think we should keep Rees for another year and get a new big man also.
Rees would be much more value to the team than some young under-sized big man,who would just sit on the bench all year.

Mix Master Wipes team 2005/06

CENT/ Cooper,Rees,Moore???

FWD/ Forman,Rychart,Holmes

GRD/ Maher,Farley,Hill,Ng ?????

Reply #29258 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

I like this squad as it is achievable if we can get Moore for the right money.

You know Willie is going to ask for more as he did last time before he left.

With BASA putting a reduced budget for players contracts hopefully there is room to make this work.

Reply #29267 | Report this post

bootleg  
Years ago

I think that getting Moore would be a very good pick up not only can he score and rebound it also gives the 36ers a very good shot blocker and then pushes Holmes down to the three spot adding a lot of size to the starting five this would also give you more depth to the line up with Hill, Forman and Cooper coming of the bench.

Reply #29270 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Moore adds versatility to the line-up -- could run something like this: Cooper, Moore, Rychart, Holmes, Maher for a big line-up. Also gives depth in case Cooper or Rees are injured.

Reply #29273 | Report this post

Forbes 500  
Years ago

Farley will not take a pay cut so I can see the Adelaide 36ers running with one import (Dusty). Hopefully I am wrong but I cannot see WF signing for less than what he is getting now, and I doubt D Moore will come on the cheap either, so lets not get any hopes up about signing any free agent. The board have already said that the cap will not get maxed out.

The Adelaide 36ers are starting to become the western bulldogs of the NBL, only using 92.5% of the salary cap

Reply #29278 | Report this post

Bulldog  
Years ago

But you could get a great big man import if you signed someone like Darryl McDonald in the backcourt.

Then you are strong at both ends.

Reply #29279 | Report this post

Mix Master Wipe  
Years ago

If the 36ers have enough money ,they could pick up a big man and another decent free agent.

Reply #29280 | Report this post

Doctor E  
Years ago

If we can't sign Farley I would attempt to:

- Use some of Farleys money to lure Derek Moore.

- Attempt to get McDonald to replace Farley.

- Attempt to replace Nash with Castle.

Money wise that means Farley, Nash, Rees out and Moore, McDonald, Castle in. That is fairly realistic I think.

It would strengthen our inside presence as Moore is a clear improvement on Rees. Our backcourt would be a bit weaker because McDonald is not a 40 minute player anymore (more like 25-30) but it gives Hill a chance to play bigger minutes.

It also gives us versatility with our forwards. Holmes and Castle can play minutes in the backcourt if need be.

Reply #29282 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

I like the idea of Timmons if/when he is naturalised, how long do you wait for that to happen though and how would it affect his points? Based on last season he would probably be no more than a 7, although imports are auto 10's unlessed reviewed.

Reply #29293 | Report this post

Stephon  
Years ago

I believe Farley and Cooper will be re-signed shortly meaning our first 7 are re-signed.

Moore or another similar big man would be who I'd be looking at to complete the main 8 man rotation.

Can block shots, rebound and add some toughness to our front court.

Interesting to hear on Talking Hoops tonight that Bradtke only had three options: Melbourne, Brisbane and Adelaide.

Brisbane called and Adelaide didn't.

Not that I can see where we could have come up with the $150,000 necessary to sign him but you would have thought that someone would have at least called him.

Reply #29316 | Report this post

wak  
Years ago

Farley is priority - proven player that fits perfectly.

Mee - a luxury that if naturlised should also be priority if Maher not playing due to Europe.

Moore - excellent Nash replacement, but at what cost?

Timmons/Dmac - great pickups but at the right price.

Unfortunatley, all I can see is the same as last season coming back again due to BASA restrictions on percentage of salary cap to be used.

Reply #29415 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:44 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754