Big Sexy
Years ago

Boomers announce Euro team

Have picked 14 guys to go to Europe.
Only Greenwood and Drmic (I think) missed out
http://www.nbl.com.au/news/article/2011/august/boomers-name-european-touring-team/

Topic #26063 | Report this topic

Big Sexy  
Years ago

Whoops Wagstaff not Drimic

Reply #326311 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

wow baynes and kickert over wagstaff ... he must have had a shocker at camp

Reply #326312 | Report this post

aussieboomers4eva  
Years ago

Ninja'd

http://www.hoops.com.au/forum/26033-boomers-squad-for-second-camp/#p326310

but worthy of a new thread.

Agreed, Wagstaff seems hard done by.

Reply #326314 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If Kickert played NBL this season he wouldn't have even got a look in. Sad but true.

Reply #326320 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Pretty much as expected. I too am yet to be convinced by Kickert or Baynes, but clearly Brown sees something in them, given the amount of court time he has given them in recent series.

I wonder if Brown sees Kickert as the logical long-term replacement for David Andersen? (ie, PF height, but can stretch the D with perimeter shooting). Since he's been picked now, I hope his shooting comes good and he shows us why he should be in the team.

I think Baynes could be a nice enforcer for us down the track, but I just don't think he is ready yet as he picks up too many dumb fouls from over aggression.

I think in Wagstaff's case, Brown may have seen him as competing more with Worthington for the 'small ball' PF slot or even against Ingles/ Barlow/ Newley for the SF slot. If that's the case, then I can see why he missed out, as those guys are all clearly ahead of him right now.

You'd think Baynes and Delly will be the last two cut when it comes time for the NZ series. I can't see Wortho or Gibbo missing out and all the other guys are pretty well locks now (incl Crawford who is to be our Penney-pincher I think).

Reply #326336 | Report this post

Mr bEn  
Years ago

I don't think PC would make the final 12.

Reply #326346 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

If Crawford gets time and plays the way he has been in the last year it is hard to see him not making the team.

Shame about Wagstaff, when you think we are going to have to match up on Vukona, Anthony and Frank, it would be nice to have a greater mix of true bigs and mobile bigs.

Looking forward to seeing the team play and seeing what adjustments have been made following the WCs.

Reply #326364 | Report this post

aussieboomers4eva  
Years ago

If you are right about Crawford, paul, then if I were Gibbo, I'd be feeling pretty nervous about Delly taking my spot.

Reply #326367 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I think with those three a large amount will come down to who hits their shots when they get the chance in the next seven games.

Obviously, some standout defensive efforts on good players will help, but if any of those guys shoot at a really good clip they will prob get the nod given Brown's offence will prob have them standing in a corner waiting for a catch and shoot.

Reply #326374 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Could Kickert be making these squads because of experience against European players that Wagstaff might not have?

Reply #326408 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I think they want a big who can shoot the three. Given we are playing NZ for a spot in the Olympics, I certainly hope you arent right Isaac!

Reply #326411 | Report this post

hurley  
Years ago

i dont even care how good a shooter hes meant to be in whatever league he plays in, every time hes played for australia (and theres been a few) hes done fuck all.

Reply #326419 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Paul, I assumed this was just the team for various European bouts. I guess they will try to carry that chemistry through to NZ as well.

Reply #326428 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:09 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754