Peter
Years ago

No Jawai in Boomers team?

I was wondering why Nathan Jaiwai was not in the Boomers team for the upcoming series. Is he injured?

Topic #26075 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Just signed a new contract I think and he is coming off injury so insurance might be a factor

Reply #326430 | Report this post

Peter  
Years ago

I'm guessing he is still in the olympic team picture?

Reply #326454 | Report this post

aussieboomers4eva  
Years ago

I'd say certainly, but he's also not a lock.

Reply #326456 | Report this post

Bucks  
Years ago

Brown is not a big fan of Jawai. But i think he would be great for the boomers, a bit of inside prensence and off and def rebound help.

Reply #326473 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

howd u kno that? if true cmon brown he played nba for crying out loud

Reply #326488 | Report this post

aussieboomers4eva  
Years ago

It's fairly common knowledge that there was some kind of disagreement between Brown and Jawai in game two of the 2009 Oceania series. Since that time, Jawai has been unavailable for the Boomers for various reasons so there has been no opportunity to bury the hatchet. I don't think there is a problem though. If Brown feels he is worthy of a position on the Olympic team, he'll be in.

Reply #326494 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

brown is not a fan because jawai is not a guard!!

the big fella is probably dreaming about the good old days....at Bamaga.....under the swaying coconut trees....no little american bastard yelling at him about the peaks and valleys !!

Reply #326502 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

AB4EVA is on the money with the background info...but seriously though, with the plethora of bigs who *may* be available for selection for London, Jawai is definitely no lock.

Reply #326506 | Report this post

aussieboomers4eva  
Years ago

I just remembered that Jawai did in fact play in the three game series against Argentina in 2010, but then did not participate in any of the more significant series, including the WC's that year. But to demonstrate how much in the Brown dog house he was then in, the starting bigs for that series were Nevill and Loughton.

Reply #326509 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Seems that Australia just doesn't like big fellas.

Reply #326511 | Report this post

aussieboomers4eva  
Years ago

I must admit I am more than a little confused with your post, anon. When you say "big fellas", do you mean tall men, fat men, or something else altogether?

Obviously no basketball team can expect to be successful without tall players. Since Brett Brown has taken over the reins of the Boomers, players that have represented Australia at the power forward and centre positions include (in no particular order): Knight, Foreman, Maric, Jawai, Holmes, Baynes, Nevill, Burston, Ogilvy, Majok, Schenscher, Loughton, Allen, Nielsen, Worthington, Andersen, Kickert, Wagstaff and Tragardh. Of course, there is also Bogut.

But perhaps what you meant by "big fellas" was players like Jawai, Majok, Dillon and Mills? Youngsters Odigie and Exum are future Boomers stars in the making who I believe trained in preliminary squads.

Either way, I think I've demonstrated that Brett Brown, and indeed Australia, like "big fellas" just fine.

Reply #326515 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

We've never had a national team coach that has ever gotten the best out of our bigs or IMO even used them effectively. Even Bogut wasn't used effectively by Goorjian.

Instead of building a game plan around what we've got both Goorjian & Brown have gone in deciding "this is how I want us to play" and then gone about trying to fit the square pegs into round holes. All arse about.

In relation to Jawai he should be in our full-strength team every day of the week especially without Bogut there he's the only low post offensive option we've got.

Reply #326516 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

In Perth against China Luke Nevill top scored in points, free throws, rebounds and blocks ... what happened to him?

Reply #326519 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

I have never seen Jawai play in Green & Gold and been impressed with him.

Reply #326521 | Report this post

Big Sexy  
Years ago

It might have been Jawai's struggles with weight but since playing with Partizan (I think they play more games than most in a season) last year he is been looking a lot better.
Check this video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9hSbRTIC628

Reply #326528 | Report this post

Big Marty  
Years ago

Jawai is a beast straight-up. Awesome highlight package right there.

Definately lost a few kilos just looking at him; he's still built to bang in the post which is great. He's still got a frame that would work for the NBA and raw talent. He just needs some good coaching; hopefully that will help him demonstrate the skill set he has and it catches someones eye.

Reply #326538 | Report this post

Peter  
Years ago

couldn't have put it better myself, go nate !

Reply #326539 | Report this post

orbit  
Years ago

That's funny Skull!!

Reply #326559 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:25 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754