Isaac
Years ago

Artest says he'll play cheap in UK

"I'm definitely going to play for the Jets," the Los Angeles Lakers forward told the Los Angeles Times Thursday night. "I'm definitely going to play for the Jets."

The Jets have offered to help Artest promote his music and movie interests in the United Kingdom because they reportedly can pay him only $1,500 to $2,500 per month for playing basketball.
This part was a bit amusing:
The Jets' season runs from Sept. 30 through April 22, but Artest would not join the team until November. He plans to play with a Finnish team, the Loimaa Bisons, for a week in September. He also told the newspaper that he will spend that week hosting comedy shows and promoting mental health issues.

"One reason I want to go to Finland is it's the cleanest country in the world," Artest said, according to the Times. "I want to experience that. I'm amazed by that. ... That's the future. I think I want to come back to America with that experience. I want to tell everyone my experience about how they're treating the Earth. It's very important to me."
Full story

Imagine the media circus...

Topic #26081 | Report this topic

Mr bEn  
Years ago

Glad he's not coming to Australia.

Reply #326466 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

tbh i think he's a bit of a tool

But only $1,500 to $2,500 per month?? Is that in pounds or USD? That is a pretty crap salary, NBL clubs could better that.

Reply #326469 | Report this post

curtley  
Years ago

hosting comedy shows in finland...... but of course.

Reply #326472 | Report this post

supaficialdheads  
Years ago

good on him.. my respect levels for him just went right up.. Its not all about money.. and while he may of acted idiotic in the past, it seems he has grown and become more mindful.

Reply #326480 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

good on him.. my respect levels for him just went right up.. Its not all about money.. and while he may of acted idiotic in the past, it seems he has grown and become more mindful.

Reply #326481 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He might yet wind up in australia for a few games in April/may.....I know of one team who has contacted his agent

Reply #326482 | Report this post

A reindeer went into a bar......

Seriously, I now understand after some extensive research why he is going there to host comedy shows. Apparently this is one of the most popular jokes in Finland...

-Pekka was out driving. Suddenly the road turned, but Pekka did not. Pekka ended up on a hospital. The doctor said: "But Pekka, you must learn how to turn." Week later, Pekka was out on the road driving again. Pekka turned, but the road sure hell did not!

Reply #326497 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

like 99 percent of all NBA players...he's a dick head !

Reply #326501 | Report this post

A  
Years ago

Hope Perth can get him out for a few games. Pity the Perth arena is taking so bloody long to build, might have filled it with him around.

Reply #326508 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Im sorry but I don't know what he is doing that is so wrong. Why are people criticizing him.

He has taken a massive pay cut to play in London.. ($1500-$2500 is hardly anything!
He just complimented Finland on their cleanliness and obviously he is concerned with the Environment--Obviously upset with the lack of cleanliness in the USA.
He is going to Finland to promote mental health issues.
"If I go play somewhere, I have to enjoy it," Artest said, according to the Times. "If I'm not going to enjoy the game, I'm not going. ... Right now I'm really happy with the passion of the team. I'm really happy with the passion of the league. It's not the best league in Europe. But it's a league that has potential. I'm looking forward to being a part of a start."
^^ That definitely sounds as though a guy who plays Basketball for the love of the game and not the money.

Reply #326518 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He has also been banned for a year before by the NBA remember.

He's probably improving which is always nice to see, but he still comes off as a bit of a tool...

Reply #326526 | Report this post

No Deal!!  
Years ago

I agree MACDUB. I think people have still got the indiana incident in their heads when they think of him. I hated the guy till he played for Houston (My Team) but the guy plays with so much passion and clearly is enjoys playing ball more than making the money. He is the only Laker that I can stand the sight of!

Reply #326527 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

People can get over Michael Jackson allegedly touching kids in no time, so why can't people get over Artest hitting someone who attacked him?

Either way, it's entertaining to see this from him. Either way it's going to be great for the sport in England, Finland and hopefully anywhere else he decides to go. Why hasn't Adelaide looked into getting him out here for a bit?

Reply #326555 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:02 am, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754