Anonymous
Years ago

Ballinger out 5-6 weeks

ADELAIDE 36ers captain Adam Ballinger believes it is vital to get this NBL season off on the right foot.
Which is ironic, considering he is having left-foot surgery on Monday.

The four-time Sixers' club MVP is hoping surgery will not cost him any games and that he will be ready to play the season-opener at Adelaide Arena against Perth on October 8.

"I'm not sure how long it will take (to get back), the best case scenario is five-to-six weeks," Ballinger said.

"But you never really know."

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/thirty-sixers-reach-for-the-sky/story-e6frecj3-1226117751966

Topic #26109 | Report this topic

Anon  
Years ago

That'll teach him for trying to take a pic of Kobe with his mobile phone

Reply #326980 | Report this post

TL47  
Years ago

^ stupid post Anon.

Best of luck Ballinger. There is a solid team taking the court this season and the sooner your back at the 4 the better. GO YOU SIXERS! GAME ON!

Reply #326987 | Report this post

Ballinger Fan  
Years ago

Only got an MRI last week?
who is his physio ?!?

huge massive disappointment !
ok there have been a few leaks saying he hasnt been training with the group, but never considered it this bad. large number of bone chips .... lets hope they dont miss any !

Reply #327000 | Report this post

DJ Rod  
Years ago

ok i'll ask... why wouldnt this have been done in the OFF SEASON not at the start of pre-season training????

Reply #327014 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dj Rod has asked the question THAT must be answered by the 36ers. The fan base isnt stupid, we all are aware of Ball's ankle problems. Did SOS have to save the pennys for the medical appointments first??

Reply #327018 | Report this post

Big Sexy  
Years ago

He has been trying to rehab it without surgery, I guess they where waiting until the last possible minute to do surgery.

Reply #327020 | Report this post

Muzz Buzz  
Years ago

We will soon see if Ballinger theory is right or wring with this injury

Reply #327022 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I assumed they just thought it was a sprain taking its time to heal, as Balls said himself in the paper. I'm not sure there needs to be a great conspiracy to explain it. He might've been hoping to get it right (with a full off-season) without surgery, etc.

Reply #327025 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Isaac, a conspiracy theory is always more fun:

This is clearly further evidence that Marty doesn't want Ballinger on the team so Marty has engineered it so that Balls will be on the injured list and miss all of pre-season training. OMG, the fact that my theory is somewhat outlandish only lends it credibility. If the Sixers now deny it, you know it must be true!

Reply #327030 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

XY, I think you may be closer to the truth than you think.
Maybe the coach wants the player but its the player who isnt really all that interested in getting treated like a rookie and flogged during pre season?

Reply #327035 | Report this post

Big Marty  
Years ago

My concern beyond that is Herbert surviving the pre-season intact.

Reply #327044 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Yeah, I always get a tear in my eye when I think of how tough it must be to be a professional sportman being paid $100s of thousands of dollars for six months work playing the sport they love. How dare anyone expect a level of professionalism or hard work to go with that? My sympathy is endless in this regard.

Goorjian required players to buy into his system too, and reportedly ran some of the toughest training sessions around. Some people even blame his trainings on the drop off of his teams in finals. But his record speaks for itself, and he changed the way the game was played in Australia. Apparently Marty is 'more relaxed' this year whatever that means, but the way I see it no matter how good they are a player has to be prepared to play for the coach, not the other way around.

Reply #327047 | Report this post

Muzz Buzz  
Years ago

plus they are operating on a different foot from the one he allegedly injured.

Plus i heard from the surgeon that it is not his foot at all but a second

makes you think huh?

Reply #327052 | Report this post

TJ  
Years ago

if the 6ers didnt want on the team he wouldnt be the captain

Reply #327054 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I met a Sixers fan who said the exploratory surgery was to look for his defence.

Reply #327055 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Muzz, what makes you think it's the other foot? Article says he jumped off his left foot and when landing it rolled and that the surgery is on his left foot.

Reply #327066 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

They've got him on conspiracy
but they're not sure who with

Reply #327067 | Report this post

TL47  
Years ago

PMSL. This has really entertained me the last 15 minutes! I love a good conspiracy theory!

Reply #327071 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Time the Sixers found some new medical staff it seems.

Reply #327674 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Heard that Balls went back to the US during the off-season, thinking the ankle would come good during that time. Can anyone confirm? If true, how do the 36ers medical staff have any say in that? "Hey Adam, we don't believe your personal opinion on your ankle and you're not going back home." How would that go down? I think it just turned out to be more serious than he thought and due to the trip, the timing is not ideal. Shit happens - doesn't sound like he'll miss the season proper (or much of it) and for once we have good coverage in the frontcourt.

At least it's being dealt with now rather than mid-season.

Reply #327676 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How can you not see a cherry sized piece of bone in an Xray or a scan.

Reply #327678 | Report this post

Ballinger Fan  
Years ago

The ankle should have been scanned before he went back to the US. Fair enough he might have bought the ticket before the injury, but surely they were examining and treating it before he left.

A bone chip that size, i am surprised that the treating medical staff could not feel it, let alone see it on a scan, but one rumour is that last weeks scan was the first time someone had thought to look at it ?!?

Reply #327679 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I'll pay that anon. Did wonder if it was cherry-sized or cherrystone-sized as the former seems pretty crazy?

Reply #327690 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Someone's forwarded a picture of what was removed - it's not tiny. Mentioned a second opinion was what led to surgery. This one could be on 36ers docs for missing it?

Reply #327699 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The reporting on a scan or xray isn't necessarily the fault of the doc.
Equally if the technician that reports on the scan etc misses it, the doc shouldn't.
Poor either way, assuming there was an MRI / xray done in the first place.

Reply #327861 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Is it fair to assume that there would have been a scan in that situation? Could they (player, doctors, etc) have collectively decided later that evening that it was a sprain and should be OK? Had heard that the type of fracture sustained is one that is typically difficult to spot, but I don't know how that explains the size of what was later pulled out!

Reply #327889 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nothing to do with the player at all.
How it got to this situation is difficult to understand.
Scans cost money, with no guarantee of anything will be revealed as well. Thats where good medical staff come into play.
Difficult i know but in hindsite should havent got to where he finds himself now.

Reply #327929 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:35 pm, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754