perplexed
Years ago

junior division B&F, mvp etc

why don't we have BSA mvps or best and fairest for a divison / grade. voted by the refs - 1,2,3 after the game like seniors.

ever other junior sport i have been involved in a competition mvp system - besides club awards.

Topic #26136 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Its hard enough for BSA to programme games now you want to count votes! The clubs give out MVPs so why do we need to give out a second one (and the reffs are there to reff the game not look for the best player).. And what do you class as an MVP the player with the most points? or the one who plays a team game? or the one who dont argue with the reff? everyone has a different look at an MVP so just leave it to the clubs ....

Reply #327485 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

the refs have a hard enough time calling what they have to without having to make decisions on MVP.

Reply #327491 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

and all they'd do is give 3 to the highest point scorer from the winning team, 2 to the 2nd highest point scorer (from either team dependent on how close the game was) and 1 to the 3rd highest point scorer (again dependent on how close the game was). That's how they do the majority of the senior voting including in a lot of instances the ABL. We all know that highest point scorers are not always necessarily the MVPs

Reply #327504 | Report this post

perplexed  
Years ago

just saying "they wont do it right" is not the answer.

if they understand what it is about - it should be done properly.

after all if they have a whistle and have to manage a game for 1 hr or so - writing 3-2-1 on a score sheet should not be hard.

Reply #327544 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Basketball is a team sport and the end goal of a junior player should be to have team success.

Having individual awards at junior level surely takes away from the team goals?

I know a number of kids and even more parents who would focus on an MVP award and lose focus on development and team success.

Reply #327586 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

In the past I know of some parents PAYING their child for every point they scored in as low as U12's & U14's. This obviously induced playing for oneself and while MVP awards at such a young age are not as immediate in terms of recognising individual performance as these cash payments I would suggest they really have no place in the game at this stage.

Reply #327593 | Report this post

Years ago

every other junior sport I have been involved in has had an association award as well as club awards - and those people involved are not mutant zombies - they are just like you and me.

Reply #327594 | Report this post

Latrentis  
Years ago

Don't most teams give out awards to players at the end of the season?? That's good enough, the kids that play basketball for the love of it don't need an award. That's why all these egotistical nba players are the way they are...because of all the 'trophies' they racked up during highschool, aau ball. Just my opinion though.

Reply #327630 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

I agree with Latrentis. Keep the junior awards at Club level, where the values of leadership and teamwork are more able to be reconised and rewarded. We certainly don't need awards at the league level for egotistical kids and their parents to focus on.

Reply #327632 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:38 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754