Isaac
Years ago

Most anticipated imports

Which new NBL imports are you most looking forward to seeing play and to seeing how they go in our league?

Topic #26138 | Report this topic

skip  
Years ago

Of course Waz and Will for us, but away from our team..

Donavon Monroe - Just to see if the Gong can pull off a hat trick of top point guard imports.

Jerai Grant - Purely because of the name.

Reply #327519 | Report this post

hustle  
Years ago

I think the anticipation of seeing how these imports perform is the exciting aspect of the new season. Every team has some guns....

Williamson and Warren I am very interested in seeing how they go. Im glad we have gone for an import big.

Grant, Ratsch and Bose the new additions to Sydney (I know Bose is an Oz citizen) will be exciting to watch.

Plenty to look forward to!

Reply #327521 | Report this post

orbit  
Years ago

Cairns imports. Did they fluke it last year or do Beecroft & Fearne have a flare for it now?

Reply #327522 | Report this post

alexkrad  
Years ago

Shaq

Reply #327523 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kevin Ratzsch. He was impressive at HSH so it will be good to see how he does in the NBL. That's about it really this year's crop is mainly just cheap guys out of college.

Reply #327526 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can't wait to see the Taipans import pairing of Chris Paul and Kobe Bryant.

Reply #327527 | Report this post

curtley  
Years ago

Eddie "kendall" Gill

Reply #327531 | Report this post

Import fan  
Years ago

Agreed this years crop is pretty cheap and not making me rush out to buy tickets anytime soon. I was really looking forward to seeing salim stoudamire when I thought the breakers were going to get him.

I love the excitement of new imports, especially the ones with NBA experience. It saddens me that the import in our league is becoming a role player rather than a main attraction. We have not seen a big dunking import here in the moulds of Copeland, Trimmingham, Mike Mitchell, Dwayne McClain I feel here for a while.

Reply #327533 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I am pretty impressed with the import crop this year, only Gold Coast have really gone the role player route. Wilson and Williamson were both very good in a good European league last year so probably most looking forward to seeing them play.

You never really know who is going to boom or bust though.

Reply #327534 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I think ex-NBA imports just leave too many opportunities for disappointment. Look at guys like Orien Greene or Awvee Storey. They weren't horrible, but not exactly brilliant either.

Reply #327536 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

and isaac the great jo jo english i still cringe when looking back through old programs and tapes to see him in them

Reply #327537 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

As much as I dislike him Julius Hodge (ex-Nuggets/Bucks) dominated the league in his time with the 36ers and Trey Gilder (ex-Grizzlies) came good late last season with the Kings.

Then again you do get duds like Will Blalock (ex-Pistons) too. The only new imports this season with NBA experience are Eddie Gill & Cedric Jackson.

Reply #327538 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I still say the NBL should allow a salary cap exception for 1 import, so teams can pursue one absolute stud player. I miss the 90's when all the imports were so exciting to watch and so much storyline evolved around them. The equivalent of a Robert Rose in his prime, an NBL could not afford in this era of basketball. Rose sold out stadiums.

Reply #327539 | Report this post

BALLER#3  
Years ago

Anon thats just ridiculous. Did you not see the way the league was heading two seasons ago? Putting 1 above the salary cap would still lead to teams dieing out.

Reply #327542 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

To get guys who absolutely stand out in today's NBL the salary cap excemption would need to be a lot more than the salary cap!!

Reply #327547 | Report this post

Ushiro  
Years ago

Perhaps a "Marquee Player", similar to the A League scenario would be the way to go. However, there are not the $$$ in Basketball as there are in Soccer.

Reply #327556 | Report this post

DJ Rod  
Years ago

Teams like Cairns and Wollongong aren't even spending the salary cap now!

I'm looking forward to Gill, Grant, Jackson & Wilson

Reply #327558 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

I'm looking forward to seeing how Cedric Jackson pans out and if Wilkinson can back up last years form.

Reply #327567 | Report this post

Taipans r go!  
Years ago

@ DJ Rod, add your crocs to that list also!

Reply #327569 | Report this post

DJ Rod  
Years ago

teams like... hello!?!

Reply #327571 | Report this post

The_Champ33  
Years ago

Ebi Ere was exciting to watch.
He'd either dish out some athletic dunks and put up some jump shots. Entertaining bloke.

Reply #327572 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Also, we've had drawcard players without a marquee player rule. Maybe not every team, but Hodge, Powell, Ervin, Homicide, etc.

Reply #327590 | Report this post

The_Champ33  
Years ago

Carlos Powell.

Reply #327591 | Report this post

bretts the man  
Years ago

I personally enjoy each season seeing new imports for all teams both good and ordinary as never know who is going to step up or not .
Been some shockers over years in League and for Sixers especially over last few years with last year
" Air Ball Stars ' Shannon and Howard stand outs.
My favourite Sixer imports being Rose --Mee and going back Davis and Green but also loved Neon Leon for his amazing dunks.
Have real hope for this years imports as surely due to get one right

Reply #327605 | Report this post

The_Champ33  
Years ago

Dwayne Nelson was always exciting.

Reply #327616 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:59 am, Sat 30 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754