BJF
Years ago

Irving talks up being a Boomer and an Aussie

just caught this on twitter

http://yfrog.com/h0i2wbgj

interesting chat as well as what could be a massive coup for the Boomers.

Topic #26143 | Report this topic

curious  
Years ago

very interesting, good post!

Reply #327614 | Report this post

hurley  
Years ago

Well seeing as Irving is not likely to represent the US anytime soon, and that Australia would damn near build there team around him. We have a shot

Reply #327655 | Report this post

GM  
Years ago

While the lockout continues one really wonders why an NBL Club havent raced to try and secure his signature. As a person that holds Australian citizenship he wouldnt count as an import - and given that he is "Australian" he wouldn't count as a 10 point player, he should only count as 3 points.

When and if the Lockout is resolved then the team that has him can go find any aussie to fill his spot (within points reason) and they can count their receipts given the guy will put bums on seats.

Reply #327667 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

you honestly think the NBl would rate a number draft pick for the NBA as a 3point player lol

Reply #327682 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

whoops was supposed to read "number 1 draft pick"

Reply #327683 | Report this post

Maxx  
Years ago

The main reason ALL the NBA players aren't playing anywhere is because their insurance is waaaay to high. Why would they risk a $40m per year career for pocket money here.

Reply #327689 | Report this post

Big Sexy  
Years ago

Mystro, According to the NBL rules they would have too, he isn't an NBA player only a returning college player.
Maxx, Irving doesn't have a contract, so no insurance issues, but he could void his guranteed contract if he played and got injuried (don't know how this works)

Reply #327691 | Report this post

GM  
Years ago

FACT - he can play as an aussie and he is worth only three points.

He cant sign any contract as the lockout would/should of prevented him from signing one. Wouldnt the Cavs want him to have a little game time under his belt - during the lockout there can be no official trainings etc....

Would be a HUGE coup for Australian Basketball and would provide interest worldwide in our league.

Reply #327694 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Would be great if he could play in the NBL this season, but it doesn't seem likely at this point. I think there *might* be one roster spot left at Cairns, but everyone else has filled out their rosters now.

I'd love to know if any NBL teams had a serious crack at Mills or Irving and, if so, why they weren't able to land either. Could be a number of different reasons - money, insurance, mid-season out clauses, lack of interest from the player...

Maxx, you can't really go lumping all NBA players in the same basket re: insurance and money. Only a few make really big money and it certainly isn't anywhere near $40 mill per season! (eg Kobe about $25mill)

Mills and other minor role players like him are definite possibilities to play overseas. Even a few stars have signed to play overseas, Deron Williams being the headliner.

Reply #327697 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

Wouldn't his gauranteed NBA contract give him the status of an NBA player in terms of the NBL points rating system? Not sure if the lockout or the fact that he hasn't played a game has any relevance.

I would have thought he would be a 10 on that basis.

Reply #327701 | Report this post

Big Sexy  
Years ago

He has not signed a contract so he has never played in the NBA, just because Ater Majok got drafted doesn't mean he should be rated a 10

Reply #327702 | Report this post

Marsh  
Years ago

The tweet before the "How you going man" tweet, is Kyrie Irving asking "my aussie brother are you in Australia" to Bogut.

http://twitter.com/#!/KyrieIrving

Reply #327725 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

Big Sexy - I understand the difference betwwen Majok and Irving.

Isn't it the case that the lottery picks have a gauranteed contract, the terms of which are pre-determined by draft order?

My question is whether this impacts the NBL ratings system, whether the contract is signed or not. Majok hasn't got anything gauranteed, so no impact there.

Reply #327807 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:15 am, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754