imnoballer
Years ago

Big V - Back to Back Champions

Thats right folks - Waverley Falcons Championship Men are the 2010 & 2011 CHAMPIONS of the Big V

As the underdogs a 2 - 0 win sealed it.

Winning margin both games ......... 2 points.

The first game went double overtime, the second to the wire, but holding off a late charge in the dying seconds to win a fantastic Grand Final series.

Well done Coach Eric Minerve and his team

I hope you go for the three-peat and get it - you all deserve it.

Topic #26164 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Great seris was at both games and level of play was awesome, some of the best non nbl ball I've seen in a longtime!

Reply #328017 | Report this post

////////  
Years ago

where was the game played ?

Reply #328026 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

game 2 was at eltham

Reply #328029 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Did anyone notice that Tommy Greer didn't play? Cant seem to find his name on the stats.

Reply #328034 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I heard he broke his ankle at training during the week

Reply #328040 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Waverley coach is a out and out douche bag. The arrogance of the guy is amazing.

I wonder if he did not have such a stacked team would he have won anything?

As a junior coach, He has gone out and 'Poached' from a number of clubs, And I have seen this with my own eyes!!

Reply #328060 | Report this post

imnoballer  
Years ago

To anonymous above - #8060 - your the only douche bag

that is not a stacked side - maybe Eltham has a stacked side

and as for juniors who did he Poach

you are blinded by hatred so you couldnt have seen it with your own eyes

you are just a jealous prat that should stay indoors and never be heard from again

and l hope someone close to you breaks your fingers so you cant type your inane crap ever again

shut the Frack up you two bit loser

Reply #328064 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

i think his arrogance is substantiated with the huge amount of success he's had with all the teams he's involved in of late.

Reply #328067 | Report this post

Hanging Round  
Years ago

I thought that the "bitch fighting" was uniquue to SA only.
We seem to fight amongst ourselves often and have uninformed comments from interstate 'guests' inflame things, but this is great to hear on a SA site.
Please give more shit to each other- I love it!

Reply #328069 | Report this post

Astor  
Years ago

imnoballer.. what are you, Minerve's sorority sister? You aren't a real coach in Victoria 'till someone accuses you of poaching. Get over it.

Reply #328095 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Im not going to come on here and post players names who are under the age of 18 or even or the age for that matter but I think we both know which kids im getting at

Reply #328098 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Minerve is a tosser, unliked by his peers due to his constant spruiking on facey etc about how good Waverley is! Overrated coach who has the ability to cover his lack of coaching skills with talented players. Helps having the club pay for poached players registration fees, uniforms and parents petrol money as an incentive to play for Waverley juniors and then a bucketload of money for the senior team. Mike Bullock is just as bad in my opinion! Self centred individual with the mindset of recruit outsiders before development of local domestic comp.

Insignificant BACK TO BACK result for me!

Reply #328130 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Imnoballers son plays in Waverleys 18's, though hasn't played for the most part due to ongoing knee injuries.

Did Greer play or not? The Big V live stats aren't always that reliable. Either way, looks like it was a pretty good series to have as a final. Will be interesting to see who sticks around for both clubs.

Reply #328131 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

Greer played!! I think you'll find most players will be back, interesting to see Dorsey & ubaka being given the VIP treatment at Eltham on Saturday night. A little birdy also tells me Ubaka was out with Eltham team yesterday....watch this space!!

Reply #328158 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Look, Mr. Minerve has done a 'fantastic' job recruiting/poaching juniors to Waverley for a number of years for his Under 18s program.

And that's how he wins. He assembles talent and they go and play.

The disappointing thing is that from 12s to 16s there is one program and after that there's Eric. So kids that play 16s with Anthony (who is an excellent coach) end up getting shafted because Eric recruits others. There's not many Waverley Under 12s that wind up playing in the Under 18s because they get cut. That's a fact. And as a Director of Coaching, it's his job to get make sure he is overseeing the entire program, not just his team.

The ABA is a different kettle of fish. Waverley were just as talented as Eltham, so it's no major surprise they won. Remember, they were the reigning champs and added Daniel Dillon who is an NBL star. Ivan Platenik is outstanding for Big V level, Blennherasset is glue and Threatt can certainly play.

Really, the fundamental question is about coaching and what people think is "better".

Someone who recruits and wins...or someone who takes a less talented team and makes them better. There's a skill to both.

As for Eric personally, yes he is a tool. But there are a lot of tools in this game, so he's in good company.

Reply #328163 | Report this post

rfsowv  
Years ago

It's always interesting reading posts about poaching at Juniors. Waverley were on the wrong end of the poaching stick for years to clubs like Melbourne, Dandenong and Knox. The standard line was "you won't win anything staying at a club like Waverley".

Another point for those of you who are involved at juniors and know the ropes - a stud at 16's can be a dud at 18's. When judging coaches and programs, look at kids playing in the 2's at 16's who end up in the 1's at 18's. That shows foresight and development appropriate for age groups.

Does Minerve recruit - of course he does, as do ALL of the coaches at that level. The difference I see now is that the top kids coming through 12's to 14's at Waverley would actually see it as a viable option to stay rather than jump ship.

Reply #328197 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Umm...it's not a viable option because they can't play anywhere after 16s because Eric recruits for his 18s.

And it's true...Waverley suffered for a long time.

Reply #328213 | Report this post

rfsowv  
Years ago

Anon #328213 - Sounds like you have a bit of a personal grudge against Minerve. You're entitled to that position, it's just these types of situations and environments are never as black and white as people like to make out - even less so if those people arcing up have a personal stake in it.

Reply #328216 | Report this post

Eric Minerve  
Years ago

Anonymous I know who you are! You will not be involved in the club next season this is all that needs to be said thank you.. Eric Minerve

Reply #328221 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Waverley U12s this year is the first really good looking team they've had in a long time, so the chances of most of those guys getting cut is minimal. Maybe things are changing for Waverley and the suffering will cease, i give a thumbs up to them.

Reply #328232 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

recruiting players is fine in a way, but getting players from the Opposite side of the city etc is a joke. Paying players fees, uniforms and petrol money for parents is a f***ing joke. How is that even allowed?

Reply #328233 | Report this post

Eric Minerve  
Years ago

hahaha just have to laugh at all of this.. At least if your going to post something on a public forum make sure what your saying has some truth to it... Before I came to Waverley which was about 6 years now we had won nothing.. Since then we have won an u16 & U18 vc & Classic premiership u18 runners up & Back to Back ABA premiersship after finishing last only 3 seasons ago with much of our core intact. I have had coaching involevement in all of these winning teams mentioned, all the players i coach respect me and leave my teams and go on to bigger and better things much improved players.
This is unbelievable im sorry you and your son did make the desired team at our club but you have gone way to far good luck in your future elsewhere as you will not have one at Waverley.
Eric Minerve.

Reply #328238 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Players move on to bigger and better things because of sedale. How many kids have you got to college eric?

Reply #328268 | Report this post

Eric Minerve  
Years ago

Your a joke guys that cant play or cant coach talking shit on forums.. I have assisted quite a few if you must know before sedale came to waverley..

sedale would not help my players go on if they were unskilled players and wouldnt want me to coach in his program usually reserved for ex nba & nbl stars if I couldnt coach...

have fun at hawthorn.. if you have anything further to say why dont you come and say it to my face!! Oh wait your weak and maybe if you did ill knock it off.

Reply #328278 | Report this post

the truth  
Years ago

Hate to rain on Anonymous's little hate session but he needs to know the truth.

Read the BigV website no one gave Waverley men any chance in the last two years but they defied the odds each time after being defeated easily by Eltham and Ringwood during the regular season.
Waverley's U16 coach Anthony's best season was when 3 State level Hawthorn kids suddenly moved across. 5 other players in that team were developed by Minerve the previous year. In the current squad only 2 players played VC in U16s. Yet they sit 2nd on the ladder. When he won the U18s he had no state players. Kids are contacting him because he makes them better players. There is always fall out, when parents are told that their kid is not good enough. Don't carry on proove Minerve wrong. I am sure he will be happy for the kid. Does he recruit ? Yes he takes other club's left-overs and turns them into state level players. Can he coach, well Waverley were trying for 20 years to win an ABA title, they had high profile coaches and high profile players over that time but it was only when Minerve took over that they won. He is 2 for 2 there are plenty of coaches who have never won anything maybe he is just lucky.

Reply #328281 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Other player left overs? Is that a Joke? current VC and state players are not exactly classified as left overs mate.

Just a question, Is it true that Waverley pays for players, uniform, fees, and petrol money for the rents?

thats all Im asking you Eric.

Reply #328298 | Report this post

Eric Minerve  
Years ago

NO MATE!! you cant be serious..

Reply #328304 | Report this post

Astor  
Years ago

DNFTT Minerve.. the more you talk, the more you give credence to the spineless idiots calling you out on an anonymous internet forum.

Reply #328317 | Report this post

the truth  
Years ago

Hey anonymous
Name one state or current VC player who has come across in the last two years. You are so ill-informed it is not funny. I will repeat only 2 of the current squad played VC in U16 2 years ago. You seriously need to get your facts right before bad mouthing people on the internet. Unfortunately those that can't get satisfication in trying to dis-credit those that can. I suspect very strongly that you have never won anything, never played at any level but think you are an expert. Go back to domestic and coach C grade. Surely you have something better to do than peddle these lies and crap. Name names and provide proof and crawl back into your hole.

Reply #328331 | Report this post

John  
Years ago

I don't know who Eric Minerve is, I just clicked on this because it had a lot of hits, but he's sure making a fool of himself defending himself against an anonymous hater. Let it go, mate.

Reply #328361 | Report this post

imnoballer  
Years ago

Correct my son does (is injured) play for Waverley

1.. He was not poached - its his choice alone on where he wants to play
2.. No-one but me pays for his uniform, fees, and l pay for my petrol (although l have asked as a joke for a sponsors car)
3.. My son has been VC since top age 12s and in State 16s
4.. He has also been offered open ended scholarship to finish high school in Nevada (3 years)

this was not due to Eric and Sedale but they both helped in attaining it ........ no-one else has given my son opportunities to achieve his ultimate goal other than them and they offer the same help to anyone and l do mean anyone that shows potential

some people believe blindly in how good their kids are, when in all honesty they aint that good
and when told so forever hold a grudge instead of helping their child get better

l dont know who you anons are (hide behind it) - fine - but dont shoot your mouths off about stuff you have no knowledge or idea of as to what the truth really is... just continue hating like all losers do

Reply #328390 | Report this post

MELHOOPS  
Years ago

I coach in U16 VC this year (not at Waverley) and have done for 10 years. I've known Eric & Anthony for a long time and speak highly of both of them for different reasons - because they have different coaching styles.

As for recruiting, Eric was accused a couple of years ago for poaching players from Melbourne and although I don't know how much truth is behind it, nor do I care, I would rather focus on the fact he has helped developed more kids with a Sudenese background than any coach I know, thus highlighting his willingness to develop and identify potential. When we think about growing the sport in Australia, Eric Minerve is doing his bit as are the Waverley Basketball Assoc, I suggest all you haters out there ask yourself if your doing the same.

Reply #328448 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

(Mod: Bye hater.)

Reply #328454 | Report this post

MELHOOPS  
Years ago

If your referring to me, you are terribly wrong as many regulars on Hoops would know I do not coach at Waverley.

Reply #328458 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

it would be very ironic being accused of poaching players FROM melbourne.

Reply #328461 | Report this post

BB  
Years ago

Well said MelHoops, I played for Waverley in the early 2000s before moving to another club and I can tell you that they are a top notch organization. It's amazing how many so-called experts would bag out a coach who is as dedicated as Eric. Eric is good at identifying talent and I cannot deny with how much he has got to do with the successes that they had this year when you look at Waverley's 20s, 18s and Big V Championship and YL teams.

Reply #328828 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:58 pm, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754