Jack Toft
Years ago

ABL 2011 Grand Finals

Women
Norwood-Forestville
Norwood enter this grand final as hot favourites, but they should remember that General Custer's team was the favorite until the opposition turned up. Forestville just keep on winning and have sliced and diced the other three finals teams like a Bamix to get to the last game of the season, the 96th game of the season. The Eagles are going for a three-peat and no player will be more nervous than Kelsey who will be trying just that little bit harder to be the fly in Forestville's chardonnay.
The Herrick-Borrego battle will be one of the highlights tonight. Norwood have been a cut above the rest all season, and their perfect season was marred on 16th July by a pesky Eagles outfit, particularly Bello who iced 5 x 3 point daggers. Tonight, Norwood face the only team that has beaten them this season - can the cunning coaching of Simon be enough to hold off the lucky Eagles? If any team can upset the Flamettes, the Eagles can. I expect that the brains trust of both teams would have spent the week pouring over video tapes and I tend to think Norwood will be fresh enough to wrap this up and while a Halls is a good individual achievement (well done to Jess, Duchess of Norwood), nothing beats the joy of winning a GF, as those pesky Eagles know. My head says Simon will be smiling like a Cheshire Cat, but something tells me Forestville have been taking lessons from Steven Bradbury.

Men
Norwood-Forestville
Both teams are worthy of their GF spot so fans should be in for a treat tonight. I think the women's game will impact this game more than people think. A win in the girls will spur their boys not to be outdone, yet it should spur the other team to at least get one win for the night. The Dome should be louder than a Bieber concert.
The Flames get better each time these teams meet. The last time these teams met Motts was rested on the bench and the exciting Deng was given court time, last week it was the other way. Could this be code as to how they intend to cut the Norwood forward line down to size? Is Motts Andy Simons’ weapon of mass destruction? Varifran bor du Hans Blix? Would love to see Motts don his face shield as a sign to the Norwood talls he means business. Cooper is the key for the Flames and The Rash for the Eagles. Both are rebounding machines picking off rebounds like a Lenswood orchadist picks apples (before NZ Blight hits!) This gives opportunities for threes to rain down like Brisbane hailstones. Reckon they’ll be jacked up like a ’68 Monaro.
Sullivan and Webber is a Battle Royale with both looking for bragging rights over who can swish the most 3’s.
Davidson’s coaching prowess should be confirmed tonight. Even though he is smarter than McGyver with a paper clip, the art of coaching is to avoid getting into the position where you need a paper clip, foam cup and shoelace to get out of trouble. The Addams family understudies to bag another grand final. Someone gatorade Davo when that happens.

Topic #26193 | Report this topic

lucy  
Years ago

Very good summary Mr Toft. Norwood are rightly hot favourites in both games but Eagles deserve respect. All we need to do is ban off-beat drummers from the Dome (sorry, make that Arena) and we will all have a great night.

Reply #328720 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Even though he is smarter than McGyver with a paper clip, the art of coaching is to avoid getting into the position where you need a paper clip, foam cup and shoelace to get out of trouble."

Gold!

Reply #328724 | Report this post

Ex Pres  
Years ago

Gold Jack, pure GOLD !

As we sign off another season, your write ups have been the highlight each week and something to wait for with my weeties and warm milk, washed down with the "quotes of the week" .

Till next year, GREAT JOB

Reply #328727 | Report this post

Ak-47  
Years ago

Something tells me you're in for a treat Lucy..

Reply #328731 | Report this post

lucy  
Years ago

You're right ak-47. If you can't beat 'em, join 'em. Hopefully those vuvuzelas I ordered off ebay will arrive before Sat.

Reply #328735 | Report this post

AK-47  
Years ago

sounds like we're gonna have a war on our hands!

Reply #328749 | Report this post

Rock  
Years ago

Love the Jacked up Monaro!

Thanks Jack, I appreciated your serious efforts into making interesting and colourful previews and reviews of the ABA league, esp when I was travelling O/S and trying to find out what was happening here.

I hope you are up for 2012 as well!

Regards

Reply #328766 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

terrible as always jack, hope you dont do this crap nxt year!

Reply #328767 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

That sounds like an open invitation to keep going

Reply #328782 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Forgot to add.......

"Both games should be as tight as a rashie on a fat kid"

Reply #328784 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anon
A couple of hours ago
10:57 1 Sep 11

Reply #328767

re: ABL 2011 Grand Finals

terrible as always jack, hope you dont do this crap nxt year!

Easy if you dont like it dont read it how hard can it be ....

Reply #328786 | Report this post

Ex JDO  
Years ago

Jack's write-ups make my week

Reply #328796 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

herrick may not be a certain starter for the flames. hasn't played a game since the last regular round out with injury. may hand the eagles a slight advantage as norwoods back up bigs weren't able to contain webber to well.

Reply #328803 | Report this post

Injury  
Years ago

Herrick been training with Lightining so will play.

Reply #328804 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

your opinion guys but just sick of checking them every week hoping they will get better but there still rubbish....

Reply #328818 | Report this post

showtime  
Years ago

Anon

If you keep checking....Dont check...then you wont be disappointed?
The rest of us that DO like Jack's write ups will keep enjoying them and wont have to read rubbish that you write?

Really its not that hard....

BTW Jack......

Great year of write ups and i hope you keep producing "GOLD" moments!

Reply #328819 | Report this post

Ex JDO  
Years ago

I know Jack deliberately writes them to stir up discussion.

Reply #328820 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Isn't that the whole point??

Reply #328821 | Report this post

Not to blow my own horn (pun intended) but i once shut the dome up i blew mine so loud ill own you all haha

Reply #328823 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Any chance of Jack doing previews of both NBL and WNBL games concerning the Adelaide teams???

Reply #328831 | Report this post

Hanging Round  
Years ago

Would certainly be something to look forward to and be another highlight in what promises to be a great season for both Adelaide teams.

Reply #328833 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What are peoples predictions!?

Reply #328961 | Report this post

Ex JDO  
Years ago

Norwood x 2

Reply #328964 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Norwood women by 12
Norwood men by 9

Reply #328966 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

What does it cost to get into Adelaide Arena for the finals tonight?

Reply #328968 | Report this post

ringlord  
Years ago

$12 Adult entry/$6 Concession/kids under 10 are free/Under 18s $6.

Reply #328970 | Report this post

ringlord  
Years ago

And car parking on site $3!

Reply #328971 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Thanks Ringlord, might get down there later if I finish marking these darn assignments at a reasonable hour!

Reply #328972 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You a teacher Beantown??? Just give them all B+

Reply #328973 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

what time are the opening the doors

Reply #328974 | Report this post

1/4 time forestville 19-11 up. Borrego 11pt 1st qtr.

Reply #328988 | Report this post

Herrick 3 fouls 2 minutes in 2nd qtr.

Reply #328989 | Report this post

Norwood back within 5. F/ville 25 -20. 4 mins left 2nd qtr.

Reply #328991 | Report this post

Norwood down by 5 at halftime. F/ville 33 - 28. Fg% f30 n28, 3pt% f20 on 2 of 10, n 0 on 0 of 8. FT% f72 n40.

Borrego 18pts (11pt 1st qtr), fergus 8 (2x3s in 2nd qtr).

Foley n Payne 7pts each, Boothey 6.

Fergus has 3 fouls, as does herrick. Forestville has 4 players on 2 fouls, nwd has 0.

Biggest crowd at ABL Grandy in a long time and still rolling in!

Reply #328993 | Report this post

Lisa ackroyd pulling on the knee brace and lacing shoes up... Game on.

Reply #328994 | Report this post

Herricks fourth foul inside 1st minute of 3rd qtr.

Reply #328995 | Report this post

Norwood missing oppotunities, forestville taking and making theirs. Fville 44-36 3:38 left 3rd.

Reply #328996 | Report this post

Forestville turnovers 14-9.

Reply #328997 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Really appreciate the updates.. Keep them coming

Reply #328998 | Report this post

Nwds 1st 3 with 30secs left in 3rd qtr. 3qtr time fville lead by 8pts, 50 - 42. Beer o'clock.

Norwood need a huge effort to close gap.

Reply #329000 | Report this post

4:53 left, fville up 56 - 48. Norwood lingers. Borrego 4 fouls

Reply #329001 | Report this post

6 pts 4:16 left.

Reply #329002 | Report this post

4pts 3:31 left. Turnover nwd possession again

Reply #329003 | Report this post

Nwd t/out 2:54 left. Borrego on line. Fville 6 pts in 7 minutes... Drying up?

Reply #329004 | Report this post

Borrego missed both, nwd missed rebound, minear sinks two fts.

Reply #329005 | Report this post

Fville over ft limit. Ireland sinks two fts fville 58-54. Travel = nwd ball.

Reply #329006 | Report this post

Fville over ft limit. Ireland sinks two fts fville 58-54. Travel = nwd ball.

Reply #329007 | Report this post

6 pts 1:30

Reply #329008 | Report this post

1:16 left, fville 62-54. Rocky n bullwinkle time for norwood? Both in bonus. Foley quiet. 11 pts.

Reply #329009 | Report this post

Norwood timeout 55s left. Fville up 9 pts. Herrick 5 fouls. Watch for 3 pt mania... Only option 3s and fouls

Reply #329010 | Report this post

Lol - two 3s and a foul. 38 s left. Score 63 - 55.

Reply #329011 | Report this post

Consolation putback for boothey, + 1ft. Walk for fville - fergus makes 2. 58-67. Junk time walk to foul line. Robinson sinks 2fts.

Reply #329012 | Report this post

Call it 7.5secs early, forestville win GF 70-58. Congratulations on a 3peat. Condolences to Norwood on great season, minor premiership. Great season for womens basketball.

Reply #329013 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Well done to Eagles.

Reply #329016 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

who won in the men?

Reply #329029 | Report this post

lucy  
Years ago

Great night for the Eagles winning both titles tonight. Good hard game from Norwood in both games. Great atmosphere and Tucker's celebration in front of the Norwood Jedi warriors was hilarious.

Reply #329031 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Amy Bell MVP...

Reply #329040 | Report this post

ringlord  
Years ago

Congratulations to Forestville on the two titles, really great games never thought this would be the mens result now that's why we love this sport so much it can turnover so quickly.Also a big salute for the Norwood teams for such a great season.

Reply #329043 | Report this post

xXx  
Years ago

Correct me if I'm wrong but is that 1st loss for Norwood Women's team for the year? If so that must really sting! This team had been most dominant for the regular season but was quite clearly not playing their best basketball at the business end of the season in the finals. Congrats to the Borrego lead Eagles!

Reply #329045 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

forestville were the only team to beat Norwood women during the year, two loses for Norwood, one happened to be grand final they must be gutted.

Reply #329049 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Wow, both Flames teams were red hot favourites and they walk away with nothing. Is there an award for best Club choke of the year/decade?

Reply #329055 | Report this post

Ex Pres  
Years ago

Forestville Women played a team game and had some unbelievable efforts from the team, none more than G Minear's best defencive game all year on Foley.Foley looked shattered at the end of the game, and Minear will be extremely pleased with her game.

In the Men, Tucker was the best on court by the lenght of the line up before the game for those who got stuck outside !!

Majok was excellent, Doyle was fantastic and they were we lead by SUlly.

How Andy Simons doesn;t win a coach of the year spot is bewildering to all that see the effort he puts into each game.!!

Forestville will have bigger smiles today than the "clowns at the showgrounds" or the Norwood Fans at the game.

AS for the after match, with Tucker to Norwood was excellent !!! He can do what he wants when he playes a game of 30pts, 15+ rebounds and 7 assists. Would have been worth a spot for the 36ers IMO

Reply #329072 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

mvps?

Reply #329083 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who is Amy Bell?

Reply #329104 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tucker had no class. Played an awesome game deserved his MVP but acted like a knob after!!

Reply #329118 | Report this post

q  
Years ago

He just refelcted his coaches attitude...

Reply #329131 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Wah, wah Norwood. You lost. Twice. Shut up bawling. See you next year chumps.

Reply #329148 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Congratulations to the Eagles for the double.

In the women's "Big Bad Borrego" was always going to be the one the Flames needed to control on the night to secure their win. For a team to go from the elimination final through to win the flag is quite an achievement. Should only happen once every 16 times. Commiserations to Norwood, but well done on a season that provided the benchmark as to how the game needed be played to get a win.

In the men's, "The Rash" has been the one constant danger to all oppositions with many trying to apply lotion, but with limited success. In the final quarter he exploded like a zit on a teenager's face to snatch the win from the Flames, who like the women, have set the standard for all teams to be measured against. Well done to Deng too. At the start of the season I expected some excitement from him and I knew something was afoot. I was expecting Motts to be the secret weapon, turns out Deng was introduced to the mix just at the right time - perfect Bombmaking 101 from Simons who not only lit the fuse, but used the Norwood's Cheer Squad lighter to do it.

ABL 2011 is finished and clubs now have to off season to review their rosters and make plans for their 2012 assault.

Now we can focus on the Sixers and Lightning .......

Reply #329243 | Report this post

fan  
Years ago

Disappointing that Boti has to put the boots in to Foley in his article today. No doubt she had a stinker but is "had another now characteristic big-game disappearance" really necessary?
Two weeks ago he was writing that it was twice her last second heroics that got the Flames into the grand final....
For mine I think the ABA competition is what it is because quality players and people like Jess return each year to keep playing in it. Surely we should encourage them, not kick them when they are down.

Reply #329246 | Report this post

Oh the love  
Years ago

I have great love for the way Foley plays the game.
Agree with you that the comp is what it is because players like Jess & others come from other states to play in this league.

Boti is far to bias towards his "own people"

Reply #329251 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:51 pm, Thu 28 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754