skip
Years ago

36ers v Hawks in Tassie - 3/9/11

Sixers have gone down in their opening pre-season game against the Hawks in Tassie.

100 - 84

Johnson top scored with 37 points.

No Creek, Balls, Croswell or Williamson for us.

not sure if anyone was out for the Hawks.

Hawks top scorers were Davidson 15, Catron 14 & Martin 12

Topic #26211 | Report this topic

skip  
Years ago

Herbert didnt play either.

Reply #329017 | Report this post

K.E.T  
Years ago

37? holy crap! nice!

How did Warren and Helliwell go?

Reply #329018 | Report this post

Hawks had pretty much everyone except for Coenraad AFAIK

Reply #329019 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

Warren scored 10, don't know any more scorers.

Reply #329021 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

DJ only got 37!? Perhaps we should swap him for Cooper! ;)

Reply #329025 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

DJ banging away against Helliwell at training.
Thought Helliwell beat him.
Gonna do him good.
Fighting away over the starting spot.

Reply #329026 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Helliwell's a good trainer, he's made a living out of that, but personally I dont think there is really any doubt who is starting. Johnson is a world ahead of Helliwell, who is a 10 mins guy.

Reply #329030 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

DJ may actually make his 6 figure salary worth it this season... Solid start for a guy who was a space cadet most of last season.

Reply #329033 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Thanks Skip. Why were the Sixers missing half their team though? I know why Balls is out, but Williamson only just got here. Is he injured or what?

Reply #329036 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Beantown, the sixers site says Williamson has a slight groin strain and Creek was poked in the eye during training

Reply #329047 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Cheers Anon, at least nothing serious has befallen our import already! Guess there were litle niggles for Herbie and Crosswell too.

Would be nice to get our whole team playing together sometime before the season starts!

Reply #329056 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Herbet and crosswell Played seal finals. Dj was brilliant and import was very classy and very quick

Reply #329058 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Croswell and Herbie playing in local Grand Finals

Reply #329059 | Report this post

BJF  
Years ago

a great shot of DJ throwing one down http://www.damonkingshott.com/gallery/NBL/2011-Pre-Season-at-Ulverstone/NBL_Ulverstone_0193

Reply #329062 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lost the second game by 2, not a bad effort considering players out

Reply #329120 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ng missed a three at the buzzer, Hawks won 83-81.

Reply #329122 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Anymore info? Top scorers?

Reply #329123 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Seems DJ led the way agen : 24 10 5.
We wonder who played.
Daly Warbout Brine Madgen , perhaps , not sure.

Reply #329140 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

DJ 24, Weigh 22, Warren 12 top scorers for the Sixers.

Reply #329167 | Report this post

Hoops  
Years ago

DJ was unstoppable in both games, Davison got very pissed off and started throwing elbows because DJ was making him look silly.
Forman was the Best for Hawks, shot the ball well. Hawks are still a very good team.

Reply #329187 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Hawks have taken a risk not having a genuine centre on the roster this year. If Perth sign Nevill they will have to face him, Johnson, Burston, Pledger, Khazzouh, Schenscher, Crosswhite and maybe even Bogut with only one 4/5 in Davidson and three power forwards.

Reply #329197 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Can you really count Behrendorff last year or Tragardh in the past? Hasn't really proven to be a problem for them. As we both know, Saville's injury was the reason they didn't play finals last year.

They seemed to have little problem with Khazzouh recently and that was without Catron. Davidson brought Khazzouh outside and then the forwards exploited smaller opponents inside, going by the write-ups. I think it's a risk they're happy to take.

Great to see Johnson do well though - seeing him gradually unleashed at the 36ers is a big part of my current interest in the team.

Reply #329201 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I do count those two because at least there was another tall option there, or three tall options in their GF year. Their plan A is great, but if they arent getting those shots for their bigs or they are not hitting them they seem a bit limited.

The Kings were obviously a long way from regular season preparedness in the game you mention, but having Johnson score 61 points in two nights says something, especially given how understrength the Sixers were. I am not saying the Hawks will be slaughtered in the middle, but there is a genuine weakness there if teams can exploit it, especially by getting Davidson into foul trouble.

Reply #329213 | Report this post

Hoops  
Years ago

I think it will be more an issue with teams that have 2 bigs.They might cut their import guard and try and get a big, he will need to improve IMO.

Reply #329225 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Given the number of decent big guys in the NBL this season, I think the Hawks are even more prediscposed to be exposed in the paint this coming season.

Great numbers by DJ - Hopefully he gets a decent crack at being a focus in the offence this season as he can fill it up.

Reply #329226 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Helliwell is a good trainer.
A lot of people still cain't stand the idea that this
long-hair could be somebody important.
Taunting Johnson like a matadour.
Johnson then gets off the leash, for 60points in 2games
I saw one of the stories about Bogut
maybe coming to town
and I might be able to walk down and watch.

Reply #329228 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Haven't heard much about the Hawks import. Martin in form and starting, but I wonder if Martin/Demos is too weak a combination to go with if they shifted Donavan on?

Thing is, it's tough to find real import centres.

Reply #329229 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Yeah a great sign that DJ has put up such huge numbers in consecutive games. The hawks are a good team and davidson one of the better centres in the league. Nice to see Weigh put up some pts too. Am v curious as to warren's assist numbers and how big a role he has played in getting DJ good looks

Reply #329231 | Report this post

SCOOP NEWSWORTHY  
Years ago

Hawks have essentially replaced Behrendorff with Catron, who whilst 'short' is a strong post player, has lengthy arms (isn't this more important than how high you head is?) and is probably the most solid immovable looking size since The Bear. Joevan flew in to late on Saturday to join the team prior tipoff and poured in 14 points in 12 minutes.

Hawks also have a healthy Gruber who was the starter last year before getting hurt in the early stages of the season.

Rhys Martin embarrassed the Kings 3 point guards last week, Donavan Monroe will need to be high quality for Hawks to keep Rhys sitting on the bench if he can keep that type of form.

Just like every other season, Hawks will be written off early.

Reply #329288 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

I don't know why anyone writes off the Hawks. The only reason they missed last season's playoffs was because of injuries to Ervin and then Sav. I actually think they probably would have made the GF in place of the Taipans if they'd had the chance.

Reply #329292 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

With Saville in the line-up last season they were 15-7, without him they were 0-6. Theyll be there abouts again this year as they have Australia's best coach and arguably Australia's best veteran.

Reply #329302 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Paul, Breakers start Wilkinson @ Centre and he is really just a PF

Reply #329332 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

And they have Pledger on the bench. I have no problem with Davidson, he is a great player, it's what's not in reserve that I think can be a weakness for Wollongong. Helliwell would have been a good signing for them.

Reply #329340 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:23 pm, Thu 18 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754