LC
Years ago

South Dragons closes door on NBL return

From today's Herald-Sun in Melbourne:

Despite regular talks with Basketball Australia about resurrecting the club that folded after three seasons, former Dragons co-owner Mark Cowan has closed the door on a return.

South Dragons closes door on NBL return

Personally, I think this is a good thing as it means the "Eastern consortium" bid backed by Basketball Victoria is likely to gain further momentum.

Topic #26261 | Report this topic

curtley  
Years ago

I loved how the dragons tried to identify their history as that of half a dozen victoria-based ex-NBL clubs. Can't remember the context.

Why can't the new team just be called the Big V and wear SOO jumpers.

Reply #329901 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How about the Melbourne Camouflage? Is that the same entity or the other that maybe hopeful for another Melbourne club?

Reply #329921 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Would be nice to see Canberra pick up the license again and switch back to Cannons then come back in to the league

Reply #329982 | Report this post

Hayden  
Years ago

I personally think this is terrible news!
The Melb camouflage is talking big - playing some games even out of Rod Laver. Now many people have tried that before and failed, so there is no reason for that to be any different.

And the alliance of local associations don't fulfill me with much confidence. Alienates lots of other associations, esp if expected that Knox is involved. Furthermore, I'm sure it will be at the other end of the spectrum with a budget roster, no money for marketing.

While the Dragons were losing money I loved the Dragons model. This year they could have probably saved some cash and played the less sustainable games at the new Knox stadium. But there is no doubting that Cowan and the Dragons was good for the game. They spent a lot of time and money into marketing and growing the game. Something that is badly needed.

Hopefully the NBL and Cowan can re-enter negotiations.

Reply #330030 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:10 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754