aussieboomers4eva
Years ago

Technical Foul for Flopping

I am unsure how I feel about it, as I can see pros and cons. Here are a few cases in point.

Mills was T-ed up last night for it. I certainly am not arguing the validity of that call. But I have seen Mills make that exact same play many times for the Boomers and the 'Blazers and whilst I recall instances when he has been no-called, placing his team at a 4-5 defensive disadvantage, often times he gets the charge call. Last night was the first time I recall him being T-ed up. And I am convinced that it was largely due to the Casey Frank flop from Game One which Worthington was clearly unhappy with and of course led to the further incidents.

My instinct is that it is a subjective judgement call rather like the charge/block call particularly in the vicinity of the restricted area, which adds to the complexity of refereeing the game, and that such rules should be minimised to avoid frustration for the players.

Another example I recall is Brad Newley at last years WC's. He was defending a player that made a back door cut, was screened and Newley did a 360 around the screen in order to keep up with his mark and was T-ed for flopping. He was very unhappy with the call and spoke to the referee at the end of the quarter.

So what are your opinions. Is the subjective nature of the rule an acceptable hit in order to remove a blight of the game? Or is it removing a valid tool in the arsenal of mobile players to defend their man?

Topic #26272 | Report this topic

billo  
Years ago

Everyone seems to uni ally agree with te flopping call on Mills, but I don't think it was that cut and dry. Yes, he ran up and got right in Dickel (?)'s personal space, but there was certainly a forearm raised which stuck Patty right in the chest. Thought that could have gone either way.

Reply #330162 | Report this post

opt  
Years ago

Im a big fan of calling a tech and hope they introduce it into our national competition. There was often no calls last year when the refs noticed a flop but I think giving a tech is the way to go and whipe this stupid act out of the game.
The person i noticed do it the most (in my opinion) was Penny during last season, maybe thats because they had all there home games on TV

Reply #330163 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

I love the tech for a flop rule. Will certainly make an impact on the South Americans and Europeans...

but again, it does come down to the refs...and their interpretations...(hmmmmm)

Reply #330171 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

I was really pleased when FIBA introduced this rule, but have been disappointed how rarely I have seen it called.

The blight on the game is a greater threat than the impact of getting it wrong sometimes. The game will be better off if we can get rid of flopping.

Reply #330176 | Report this post

ringlord  
Years ago

Death to flopping i say,enough soccer like throwing around.Play tough but leave the drama for a visit to the theater.

Reply #330181 | Report this post

Credit  
Years ago

Referees do not decide which fiba rules will be incorporated into the nbl, they are given guidelines by which to apply these rules.as such it had been put out that in australia they will not call it the way fiba intend, rather ignoring the flop or calling a block instead.

Reply #330205 | Report this post

adam  
Years ago

The problem is, without being demonstrative how will anyone ever get a charging foul. I have never seen a charging foul called where the defensive player simply squared up and took the hit. The player almost always has to artificially jerk backwards to demonstrate being charged. So how much movement is enough?

Reply #330231 | Report this post

Years ago

Yes, please, please, please bring it in - basketball's not soccer or the latest version of Australian rules... cheats out... it's bad enough that refs cheat without players as well

Reply #330279 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

What about players remonstrating for shooting fouls when they feel they've been infringed upon? The equivalent of a flop in terms of how it presents the game as a spectacle.

Defenders have it hard enough without getting a tech foul for being pushed out of position and choosing to make it clear (like the shooting players who dramatically flail their arms about in "oh my God look how hard he hit my arm!" fashion). They're both illegal contact by the other player or they're not. If you want to tech foul one piece of overacting then tech foul both.

Reply #330281 | Report this post

b  
Years ago

Agree with Adam.

You have to flop to get the call, when you stand your ground its a no call. As a player i'd rather not flop but i have to to get the call. Even when i take the hit and stumble backwards a few steps it just play on, it should be a charge.

Reply #330517 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:00 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754