Beantown
Years ago

Sixers v Taipans pre-season

Anyone who saw the game tonight, would love to know how it went - post your thoughts here!

Topic #26276 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Congrats to the sixers on the win :)

Reply #330192 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

er, thanks anon - care to elaborate?

Reply #330194 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

Sixers won 91-86......weigh with 24, Warren with 19 & brad hill had 23 points & 7 rebounds for cairns.

Reply #330196 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I wasn't at the game but twitter said Sixers 91 - cairns 86 .... Weigh 24 Warren 19 cairns Hill 23 and 7 rebounds

Reply #330197 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Thanks guys, did the Taipans have a near full-strength team or were they still pretty short-handed?

Anyone know if Williamson played? How did he go?

Reply #330198 | Report this post

Justin  
Years ago

Williamson, creek, Herbert and balls didn't play. We may have found the point guard we have been searching for. Warren can play croswell handy swell and weigh was really good too and threw down a nice alley

Reply #330200 | Report this post

Ballinger Fan  
Years ago

Alex Loughton wasn't there, and Crosswhite didn't play much. Cairns were clearly sharing the minutes around.

36ers offence still looks a little clunky,
big guards still standing in the corners waiting to catch and shoot,
too many bounce passes from the wrong places,

Helliwell got a heap of boards, but judging from were he was catching the ball in the offence, i dont think its designed for him.

Reply #330201 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Thanks guys. DJ was obviously quieter tonight?

No surprises that the offence isn't going through Helliwell, Ballinger Fan! If he is grabbing lots of rebounds, playing good D and setting good screens, then anything else is a bonus!

Hope you're right about Warren, Justin, just having good play from the PG position will help improve this team so much.

Reply #330202 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Import point from Cairns missing too. DJ fouled out, had some good moves. Crosswhite playing injured.

Reply #330203 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

Cool, sounds like good signs for improvement this season, and am looking forward to tomorrows game.

Just having 2 good imports (hopefully) will make a HUGE difference and Weigh ia one of the (if not the) best Aussie Free Agent to move clubs, apart from Mills or Bogut, so looks like Clarke and co have done some pretty good recruiting, we also look to have a very well balanced team and the improvement in guys like Johnson and Creek will also help.

Looking forward to the season ahead!!

Reply #330206 | Report this post

BALLER#3  
Years ago

Weigh looked good tonight, and crosswell fits in quiet nicely too. Looking forward to seeing the full team together.

Has anyone else noticed that croswell looks a little like barney stinson?

Reply #330208 | Report this post

Ballinger Fan  
Years ago

Andrew Warren is a great shooter,
a real zone buster..

and has a bit of personality also,
correcting the courtside announcers during the game when they misidentified him..
was pretty funny actually

Reply #330209 | Report this post

clarky  
Years ago

Here is a link to a photo of the box scores from the Sixers twitter page...

http://yfrog.com/o0wz2srj

Reply #330210 | Report this post

Big Sexy  
Years ago

The sixers Warren looked real good wasn't forcing any shots and hit almost every open shot. He tried to force some passes but I was very impressed. Weigh looks ready to have a break out year

Reply #330218 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

From what I saw last night, this years team is a huge upgrade on last year. Having a legit big in the middle and two pass first point guards makes you realize what we have missed for a while.

Reply #330219 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cairns Fangatic here, Crosswhite is injured so he played limited minutes, as is Loughton but he didn't play. Our PG Jamar Wilson injured himself on Friday, tore his pectoral while bench pressing

Reply #330220 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Yeah, Crosswell was great too. Now Winder was good in the pre-season too so no one should get ahead of themselves, but I think it's OK to see some upgrades across the board here. Warren is short, that will be your first impression, but he stayed committed and didn't force the shot. Crosswell will be an excellent backup - talks to the team a lot, is relaxed and confident but still pushes the game. Had some strong moves to the bucket and a great fast break finish.

Helliwell only needs to rebound, set screens and get putbacks inside and he was doing that - shrewd hire I think given that the club got him for around 100k less than the Tigers last year. In Melbourne, he looked like he felt like he was the kid no one wanted in the playground, but last night he seemed comfortable. I think he's ready to return the faith the coaches had in signing him. DJ and Helliwell out there together was some pretty legit size.

And then Weigh was a big part of the team too.

Those are some pretty solid additions to the team, still leave Ng and Herbert, and we had Ballinger and Williamson behind the bench who'd arguably be two of our best.

Reply #330221 | Report this post

TJ  
Years ago

ng got 16 that game and DJ got 10

Reply #330223 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Torn pec? That can be a long rehab, can it not?

Reply #330225 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Just noticed: 27/28 FT by Adelaide.

Reply #330226 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Was about to post that Isaac, that's pretty amazing shooting

Reply #330228 | Report this post

hendo8888  
Years ago

Good signs. Both sides were pretty undermanned so you can't take a huge amount out of it, but a win is a win.
Pectoral muscle tear, isn't that what ruined Rosell Ellis' season a few years ago? Be a shame if they had to look for a new import before he even plays a game.

Sounds like all our players have done well.
Ng with 16 is encouraging. Generally means Warren and Crosswell are doing their job.
Hopefully Warren brings his game to the regular season. Winder looked the goods in the preseason too.
Weigh will be handy. Interesting that the guy he replaced is also playing well too.
If Helliwell is boxing out, setting screens and pulling down rebounds then he will be a handy inclusion.
I'll probably be heading down today. Hopefully Herbert or Williamson can get up for the game.

Reply #330230 | Report this post

Credit  
Years ago

While warren did look good, he was hardly up against a star pg from cairns.it will be interesting how he goes against a taller, stronger point guard then what he faced last night.in fact, didn't george have 13 points? I wouldn't say he slated cairns guards.

Reply #330235 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Herbert may be back from the SEABL final but I was told they'll probably rest Williamson again just as a precaution. Warren certainly kept an eye out for Ng whenever he was open in the corner. Should be able to do the same with Herbert as well. I think Williamson is the one I'm most interested in seeing play though.

Reply #330236 | Report this post

A  
Years ago

Isaac, that's the first time in a long time that you have actually rated or mentioned something positive about Ballinger!

Reply #330240 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

About time the sixers had a point who can shoot and distribute the ball. Add balls and Herbert and the other import to the mix as well as a little creek and they should be as good as anyone.

Reply #330278 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:58 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754