BMF
Years ago

3 seconds and when we reset.

I am always confused with the re setting of the 3 second clock..
I always thought 2 seconds was restarted when the ball hit the ring on a shot attempt..
I asked 1 umpire when the 3 second clock reset and the answer was: when the player shooting has made an attempt at shooting the ball, even if the ball does not hit the ring'

Now I read the rules..ART 26.1.2 and it gives definition to the rule, but not when it is reset..

Anyone have a real answer to this...I am confused on it and would love to clear it up..

http://www.fiba.com/downloads/Rules/2010/OfficialBasketballRules2010.pdf

Topic #26278 | Report this topic

Bulldog  
Years ago

The rule is the three second count is reset by a shot or when a player has two feet outside of the key. Or at least that was the last time I read the rules.

It may have changed, but that was the ruling.

Reply #330224 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Three seconds only applies when a team has team control in the front court, thus as soon as it leaves the hands for a field goal, team control ends, and hence the three second rule resets.

Obviously it also resets when the offensive player steps both feet outside the restricted area (key). The restricted area continues from the end line to the wall, despite no lines drawn. Hence, players who step out of bounds on the end line within the imaginary restricted area lines, are still considered to be within the restricted area.

It is important to note that 3 seconds is one of the least important rules in the game. Good officials will not call the violation unless the player infringing has ignored the official's verbal warning/encouragement to "get out of the key".

It is also worth noting that at national championships the direction apparently is that the player can spend as long as they want in the key provided that when they receive the ball they shoot immediately or move out of the restricted area.

Reply #330247 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I have personally never agreed with the "immediately shoot" interpretation, I think a better application would be as soon as the player receives the ball then the rule has been used to advantage/ or disadvantage and should be blown then not if they choose not to shoot

Reply #330312 | Report this post

BMF  
Years ago

Thanks guys...
I should have cleared up a few things extra...i get the 2 feet outside...what i am thinking here is...
shot goes up, misses the ring..is the 3 seconds reset if an offensive player rebounds?
2nd shot goes up and the same thing..reset? or have we got 3 second violation?

i was given during a gmae the explanation that it was reset everytime a shot went up, even if it didn't touch the ring...i always thought with regard to the shooting side of it, the ball must hit the ring to reset the 3 seconds clock, with the ball missing the ring, it was then 3 seconds if it was an offensive rebound..

Reply #330321 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The correct answer is if the counting official deems the shot a legitimate attempt regardless of the result it will reset the count, in practice however a better example would be any legitimate attempt to attack the basket would reset the 3 second count. Referees have too much to watch to have 3 seconds called by the official rule, the worst call ever is " no basket... 3 in the key"

Reply #330330 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Reply #509208 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:02 pm, Thu 28 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754