MACDUB
Years ago

NZ Men win FIBA 3 on 3 World Champs

The New Zealand Men have won the inaugural FIBA World 3 on 3 Championships in Rimini, Italy.

Isaac Fotu hit the gamewinner with just a few seconds on the clock to capture the 19-18 victory over Bulgaria.

Earlier in the semi-finals, they had beaten Host nation Italy.

This would have to be NZ's first FIBA World Championship in any event.
Amazing stuff.
There was 36 Boys teams, and 24 Girls teams..What I have come to love about 3 on 3 is that a lot of the nations can come up with the money and resources for 4 players and 1 coach..They simply cannot do the same with 12 players.

Hence, teams like Sri Lanka, Qatar and even Nepal entered the competition.
I think it is a great way to get smaller nations onto the World Basketball stage.

Topic #26289 | Report this topic

Jim Dale  
Years ago

Yeah similar to 7's rugby. Fotu and Adams.. watch out!

Reply #330461 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Cory Webster's little brother Tai was also on the Team with Fotu. He according to another Academy Player will surpass Cory for skills no problems and hopefully make better judgement calls also lol.

Reply #330465 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I think a lot of people have their fingers crossed about Tai, given the lack of other good guards coming through.

Reply #330471 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

agreed Paul. The academy player I was talking too also grew up with Rob Loe and agreed that he needs to bulk up and get dirty in the paint instead of hanging around outside putting up 3's(Abercrombie would also benefit from hitting the weights room)

Reply #330477 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

I think Tai is also the same height as Corey, if not an inch or so taller, and yet he is only 16/17.

Hopefully he grows a little more..I know that his wingspan is extremely long!

Reply #330525 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I heard Tai is going to the USA and will not play for NZ again in the near future

Reply #330590 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Tai is currently in the Breakers academy and I'm sure they will be keeping in touch with him where ever he ends up going.

Reply #330635 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Did Tai get injured in Italy with the 3 x 3 tournament ? He has not been included in the NZ team to play Australia next week. Surley he is good enough to make that team ?

Reply #330776 | Report this post

J-Smoove  
Years ago

Tai isn't playing for NZ Under 17 as he went to the 3 on 3 world champs instead. He would have started for them.

Reply #331985 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:54 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754