Degenerate
Years ago

Define Basketball - NBA Explain today's Standards

Has the game in America, the NBA gone past the point of the actual game, now, players wear the tats, bands, merchandise, socks, shoes and forget to rack up stats...

Sure they're pretty good, but in 2004 the world was shocked to see the Dream Team get downed by the Europeans, this was to no suprise of some smart basketball annalists, I not included. The Dream Team don't train and only get into the team becuase they are the star...

Not taking anything away from the boys, but now that NCAA or College ball is growing to become more popular, maybe becuase it hasn't lost sight of the game, instead of creating "Entertainers" you know something is wrong when you see the top guys missing shots and the "no bodies" of the NBA racking up the stats.

Basketball in America has always had its bests, from Jordan to Bird... and today Iverson to Bryant, but are these guys great or good??? ATM, the greatest teams in the world are coming from Europe, should maybe channels switch over and give the merchandise to the Europeans, or will they then turn into today's NBA?

Who knows, but this maybe the NEW basketball ERA, taking off in front of us...

-Your Thoughts on today's NBA welcome please

Topic #2629 | Report this topic

Dave  
Years ago

Good thread. I think the rules in the NBA try to make it more spectacular for TV with one on one skills predominating but lose sight that basketball is a team sport.

By not allowing help D for the pass to be kicked out to the perimiter shooters, this skill is lacking from Team US, as seen in Athens.

Maybe they should go back to international rules and try to compete with the rest of the world instead of preach.

Reply #29595 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeh awesome thread mate.

NBA today is more about winning money than winning the game and being successful in the sport. Honestly you should play the game if you love it not if you love the money.

My 2 cents.

Reply #29601 | Report this post

Degenerate  
Years ago

Thanks Guys, I agree with your comments, it really is getting all about the $$$, and the TV time...

Keep ya comments coming...

Reply #29604 | Report this post

Kriss  
Years ago

I reckon some NCAA teams could beat a few NBA teams- in college the kids are playing for the love and also hustle so much harder.

NBA is all....ok i made it to the big league now gimme gimme gimme!

Reply #29629 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

I'd like to see a situation where different leagues around the world are seen as equal in reputation, like soccer.

The difference between the leagues is style of play. eg - Spanish football is seen as flashy, played with more flair. English is more traditional. South American is different again.

Different types of players thrive in different leagues. I think this could apply to ball too.

European leagues are fundamentally sound. Teamwork, shooting and skills are pushed on every player, PG to C.

EVERYONE can shoot!

Defence is encouraged!

Hook shots are recommended!

Reply #29634 | Report this post

ITA  
Years ago

Basketball never begins about the $$$, i honestly don't think that a 5 or 6 year old kid picks up a ball and says this things gonna make me duckets. NBA players were kids too once, so the question is really when did that all change, was it when they got to the NBA, or at some point say during high school when they realise they were a shot. So I don't know if it is fair to generalise all college players and NBA players into categories.

But valid point... the NBA games i seen had more showtime, ankle breaks, dunks etc, but the atmosphere in college was better. plus some players said they'd rather play college than NBA, coz players are far more loyal to their college teams also.

Reply #29653 | Report this post

Bizzy  
Years ago

Players come to the NBA from College/High School with the love of the game in mind not the $$$, but it's what David Stern forces them to become when they get to the NBA. For example he wants them to bring crowds - which brings $$$ and so it all becomes about the money and trying too 'show off' a player that was the perfect example of a loyal college player come NBA was Shaq. I think Rodman put it well in his book that Shaq was made before he even entered the NBA he was the perfect player. If you're different in the NBA there's not going to be as much money in it for you so you have to bring the show to make the $$.

I hope that made sense lol!

Reply #29654 | Report this post

coach k  
Years ago

I think the answer to this is simple, the NBA is not so much a game but a form of entertainment. How many celebrities do you see at NFL, MLB or NHL games compared to the NBA? From the players with the flashy moves, multiple endorsement contracts, to the venues with the lit up scoreboards, to the team mascots jumping through fire during the time out's, the NBA game is a spectacle. In amongst the spectacle that is the NBA, an actual Basketball game does take place. The college game is very fundamental, that is why I think the real Basketball enthusiasts enjoy watching it more than the NBA.

Reply #29664 | Report this post

Bulldog  
Years ago

Does the McDonalds championship still take place where the champions from various leagues around the world play against each other? I think then you would find the NBA players would struggle, going up against championship teams while they head there with a team of champions.

I wouldn't have thought anybody would get close to a European championship side in that competition anymore.

Reply #29704 | Report this post

Degenerate  
Years ago

Yeah I agree with most points, but the NBA obviously uses its 'Entertainment' values to get people to come and watch, but the game could still be played with a variation of rules to make it more traditional so they can compete with the world

The only reason I was annoyed about was when they called the Drema Team as the 'Greatest' when clearly they're not

Kepp ya comments coming

Reply #29738 | Report this post

Bizzy  
Years ago

Only the ORIGINAL USA Dream Team should be known as that. The rest are just wannabe Dream Teams. When you have a team with players like Bird, Magic, Jordan, Pippen, Laettner (college), Robinson etc, that is a team of players with skills and athleticism that will never be re-produced again. Sure there will be great teams to come but that team was a one of a kind.

It had players that changed the face of the game. Magic with his passing, Bird showing that white boys can play a so called 'black' game and Jordan well we all know what he did.

Reply #29742 | Report this post

negyven_negy  
Years ago

I would definately be interested in seeing some European basketball on Foxtel as well as NBA. The style seems to be more true to how basketball is meant to be played. Some people may criticise and say Euro ball is 'soft' or 'not athletic enough' but I believe that is not the case, its just a different style that is not based upon putting on a show and is more about winning. Being a player in Under 18s of European origin, I can see that some ppl I play with are more about putting on a show than winning the game. Sure it might look pretty but the style needs to have some substance as well.

Reply #29786 | Report this post

Natnael  
Years ago

where does basketball game takes place,the number of players in each team,how the players are organised,what equipment is needed,the purpose of the game,who supervises the game and how the points are scored

Reply #84542 | Report this post

Grote79  
Years ago

I think the problem lies with the early stages of competitive basketball. Kids aren't taught defense much anymore, but rather how to penetrate to the basket. This is evident in several AAU leagues. High school and college coaches aren't too fond of AAU or the NBA. Learning defense is not sexy and doesn't get girls or noticed by the NBA, so why learn it.

Reply #131848 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:52 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754