Bizzy
Years ago

Ball In SA

With BASA just announcing it has to borrow another $500,000 from Unley Council, and plus all the other debt it has, where does this leave basketball in SA long term? What is BASA going to do about this debt? Any ideas what could be done?

Your thoughts on what's going to happen to bball in SA?

Topic #2634 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is there anyone with legal / accounting knowledge that can explain what would happen if a peak sporting body like BASA went into bankruptcy??? Can a sport be bankrupt as such?? What would this mean for the kids that play the games each week?? Could you just fold BASA, extinguish the debt, sack the board and startup a BASA MARK 2??

Reply #29663 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

How can a local council provide $500,000 when the state government does bugger all????

Obviously BASA needs a large amount of help and the powers on North Terrace aren't willing to help out a sport in crisis.

Politicians.......enuff said.

Reply #29665 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How's about next state election Hoops.com starts up a petition to take to both parties showing the support basketball has in the state and that supporting basketball would also mean votes on election day!

Reply #29683 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

I think the Unley Council have extended the allowed time to repay an old loan.

Basketball as a sport cannot be bankrupt, but BASA, as an incorporated body can. They are just like any other business, subject to the Corporations Act. If they can't pay the bills, or have too many unfunded liabilities, they can be seen as insolvent. It is an offence to trade whilst insolvent.

I don't think BASA are there just yet, but that's a guess. I think the government would bail them out.

If BASA did go bankrupt, another body could be formed to administer basketball in SA. We could get Bob Hunnerup to run it.

Reply #29691 | Report this post

realist  
Years ago

How about all the clubs forming another association and distance themselves from that BASA monster. I have been involved in junior bball as a parent for number of years and it literally bled me dry. Junior bball has become elitist out of reach for many families. It appears that BASA only takes and nothing is coming back. Check this out
Yearly subscriptions $600, games entry fee $400 a year, reserve games $200, ABL (spectator $120). Add all additional expenses - uniform/boots $300 a year. Melbourne Classic plus other tournaments $1000 a year, pleasure of representing the state $1500, petrol $500, physio bills $300, tape/ankle braces $200 plus all the rest that goes with it. All together $5120. Please give me a break.

Reply #29696 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

Bobby would have to quit coaching of course, to avoid a conflict of interest.

Reply #29697 | Report this post

ITA  
Years ago

Realist, while your at it why dont you add wear and tear on your car i dunno another 500, food for sustenance to compete lets say 5000 per year, home gym to train another 1000.

but if you really want a big pay out, why not try pain and suffering for all the stress paying that money out and driving to venues had on yourself. That's where the real money lies.

Reply #29706 | Report this post

I'll second you guys there, im a 17yr old trying to work three jobs that get taxed a flippin heap major job is a trainees wage... livin independently cause im a country guy and then trying to find the cash and time to play ball. its killin me.lol

Reply #29715 | Report this post

jjj  
Years ago

Well said realist, i am a parent of a player that has trodden this road as well, and don't forget the SASI trip to USA at $6,000+ by the end of it! BASA needs to wake up and look at the cost of junior basketball. there are kids dropping out of basketball left right and centre because parents just get sick of digging deeper and deeper, and the insurance thing hasnt helped either! i am trying to convince my younger child to drop out of basketball and play something else... just cant see myself going through this all again. i'd like to work to have a holiday, not fund BASA!

Reply #30032 | Report this post

In the Know  
Years ago

realist- Domestic competiition.

Reply #30057 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

While your all bitching about the cost, and trying to talk your kids out of playing i will ask you
is your child happy, exercising and off the streets ie not involved in petty crime.Then you have been successful at your job as a parent. If the cost of playing district basketball is your major concern and you dont what your child to reach his/her fullest potential then go to domestic comp.But what life lessons are you teaching your child (that its ok to cruise through life without putting in any real effort or committment.)

Reply #30058 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

jjj the sasi trip is not compulsory, never has been, but it was your choice to allow your child to participate.That cost is not BASA's fault, so to infer it is, is very miss leading and untrue.

Reply #30059 | Report this post

Mr Bankrupt  
Years ago

Who in their right mind would loan BASA $500k? I dont blame the government for not doing it, & im very suprised about the Unley council lending more $$$.

I wouldnt worry about kids wandering the streets being involved in petty crime anonymous, I would be more concerned about continually losing kids to other sports.

Reply #30139 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:03 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754