7th vs. 8th - Chandler Arena, Brisbane - 12:00PM
5th vs. 6th - Chandler Arena, Brisbane - 2:00PM
3rd vs. 4th - Chandler Arena, Brisbane - 4:00PM
9th vs. Bball. Qld. All-Stars - Chandler Arena, Brisbane - 6:00PM
1st vs. 2nd - Chandler Arena, Brisbane - 8:00PM

Topic #26359 | Report this topic

Statman  
Years ago

The Thursday on the coast is only $5 to see all 4 games! Should be a very good arfternon evening of Hoops

Reply #331317 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

Good scouting opportunity for FBL as well stats!

Reply #331319 | Report this post

DJ Rod  
Years ago

I'll be live blogging through the Crocs website during both Crocs' games and putting a recap on every other game I see on my blog vanillathrice.wordpress.com

I will try to get around to a few players to do some video interviews as well...

Reply #331321 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

very nice work dj rod cant wait

Reply #331323 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Rod, obviously post on here to let people know when you can.

Everyone else, happy to have a topic per game to maximise the pre-season discussion. We could use "Blitz: Team 1 vs Team 2" as a format? Or SSC instead of Blitz - Sunshine State Challenge is a little verbose.

Reply #331327 | Report this post

A  
Years ago

'verbose', nice.

Reply #331329 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Will there be livestats of each game?

Reply #331330 | Report this post

DJ Rod  
Years ago

Yep I'll be posting here too - maybe a copy paste job from my blog

The official twitter hashtag is #NBLSSC if u want to keep track of it there

Should be heaps of fun including civic reception, drug & info sessions, clinics, photo shoots and a few games too

Reply #331332 | Report this post

Jake  
Years ago

Has Bogut signed yet?

Reply #331335 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

For Adelaide, Williamson to play short bursts, Ballinger still out with Daly taking his spot.

Reply #331390 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

am surprised to hear after a mate called sd ball theres bucketloads of tickets left for the tigers gong game. would of thought people would be getting in asap to see mills play in the flesh for the only time this season in brissy, but no ?
i dont believe this whole tourney has been promoted well at all in brissy

Reply #331408 | Report this post

Pallas 31  
Years ago

Daly didn't play the Youth League final last night as he is sick and won't travel with the team to Brisbane today. The other development player Warbout is going in Ballinger's place.

Reply #331413 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Pallas, thanks for the correction - I was going on Boti's article yesterday.

Reply #331416 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Anon, on the promotion of this tournament, just some guesses at the challenges faced by the NBL:

- they send out a lot of releases, but media doesn't give much coverage to basketball. Just because you don't see stories on TV or in the paper, doesn't mean that they aren't trying. The sports editors/etc are the gatekeepers.
- I'd bet that if they've contacted local leagues to ask for support, the response is probably "what's in it for us?" which then presents other challenges (trading clinics for crowds might work, but they might already be doing this - I read that Perth have done a clinic up in QLD this week).
- social media will only get them so far. Twitter is a cheap way to get a message in front of some people, but I'd bet all of those people are already aware of the tournament to some extent
- they could not justify paying for advertising
- they could not guarantee enough coverage to trade for advertising
- their pricing (from what I've read) looks tough to beat, so they've got that right.

I'm sure there are more things they can do, but it's a tough situation. And it reminds me of a Perth guy on OzHoops a couple of years complaining that he hadn't heard anything about the season start, etc. Yet he didn't watch TV, listen to radio or read the paper. Didn't seek out the Wildcats on Facebook or Twitter. I don't think he was involved with a local club either. Pretty difficult and expensive to reach people like that!

Reply #331541 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

all fair calls Isaac. I believe utilising the people in Brissy going in to bat for them to find a team instead of p#^%@ing them off would help nbl's cause a lot more than what they are realising though.

Reply #331559 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I don't follow the Brisbane situation, but I hear more than enough gripes from some other clubs about dealing with the league. Some seem reasonable, some just sound like people butting heads because they're spending money, losing influence, etc. Can't see a time when everyone would be overjoyed and perfectly happy. Look at the AFL - they are raking in cash from TV deals and sponsorship while some clubs flounder. I bet there are disputes there as well.

As often as not, the people involved in these ventures have not run a major basketball club before or started one from near-scratch so there are always unknowns and things overlooked. They easily turn into larger issues.

Not excusing either side, just saying it's not uncommon anywhere in business when people have different interests at heart.

Reply #331565 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:50 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754