Jake
Years ago

Network Ten loves netball

http://mumbrella.com.au/ten-commits-to-netball-league-broadcast-in-2012-58337

Network Ten and TTNL Ltd are delighted to announce that the world's best netball league, the ANZ Championship returns to Network Ten in 2012.

Hosted by netball legend and ex-Australian Netball Captain Liz Ellis, Network Ten will broadcast 69 matches of the ANZ Championship over 17 weeks.

Showcasing all the speed, skill, athleticism and teamwork of some of the world’s best netballers in a feast of trans-Tasman rivalry, Network Ten will broadcast all matches played in Australia on TEN and all matches played in New Zealand on ONE.

For the first time, from March to July next year, sports lovers will be treated to a four-hour block of the best local netball every Sunday afternoon on TEN.

ANZ Championship General Manager Anthony Everard said: "Network Ten has been a great supporter of netball over the past three years.

“Its involvement has been integral to the success and growth of the competition, and we’re thrilled that even more viewers will be exposed to the league with the new programming in 2012".

Network Ten’s Head of Sport, David Barham added: “Network Ten is delighted to be broadcasting the 2012 season of ANZ Championship Netball for the fourth consecutive season.”

“Our commitment to producing the highest quality netball coverage is unwavering and is further cemented by the Network’s decision to broadcast two matches of netball every Sunday afternoon exclusively on TEN, representing the biggest commitment ever made to Netball by a free-to-air broadcaster.”

“A consistent four-hour block of the world’s most competitive netball competition is a win-win for fans, advertisers and TEN’s afternoon schedule,” Mr Barham said.

The ANZ Championship returns for its fifth season in March 2012, with the season draw to be announced later today.

Topic #26435 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

It doesn't mention whether its LIVE though, which surely its not if its a four hour block.

Plus, the NBL will have MORE than that 4hrs, if they are to show 3 games a week, right?

Reply #332428 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The netball get much better coverage by Ten because they pay them for it as opposed to the NBL which is paid by Ten.

Reply #332430 | Report this post

Alexkrad  
Years ago

You would think if 10 are paying for nbl they would have an interest in developing the league to increase ratings?!?

Reply #332431 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

maybe netball head honchoes are a whole lot better to deal with for ten than bball head honchoes? or better organised? cluier? who knows what goes on there between them really
how much does netball pay ten anyway? does what it brings in balance out?

Reply #332437 | Report this post

dud  
Years ago

Easy to have a four hour block as they have teams from Perth and New Zealand. The time differences should allow for a lot of live coverage.

Reply #332444 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why would Ch10 pay the NBL? It's the other way round if anyone understands simple business. Certainly not cost effective if they pay the NBL, but they don't exactly make money off the NBL because it doesn't rate, the clubs don't promote, it's a dead wood league.

Reply #332445 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You would think if 10 are paying for nbl they would have an interest in developing the league to increase ratings?!?

Not exactly. Channel 7 used to buy the rights to the old NSL yet would only ever show the grand final and no other games for the season. There are a number of similar examples and they can be done for defensive reasons like maybe 7 didn't want 9 to have the rights?

Possibly Ten/One just bought the rights to the NBL to keep it from Fox? Who knows but it does seem like now they've given it a run (last season) it didn't rate yet they're still obligated contractually for another four years with the amount of games each round to increase by the year so are willing to just throw them on at 10:30/11 so as not to breach the contract.

Reply #332447 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Yet they're still obligated to go to all the trouble of actually filming the games with commentary (unless those costs are covered by the league) so Alexkrad's point is that given those costs, wouldn't they want to make the most of their investment.

I guess this is the 'sunk cost fallacy' - if smart, they would need to look at this as a clean slate. If they are contractually obligated to film the games, then that's a given no matter what decision they make about broadcast times. That money is done so realistically it's a non-issue, though an easy thing to forget.

They would be looking at this as simply as: which rates better out of NBL and COPS & co? Should we invest time in the NBL if we're only going to ditch it later? I'd guess that COPS (consider it an umbrella term for the NBL's televised competitors) is a simple purchase of rights with no costs to film or crew and commentators to deal with. It's easier to buy rights to Big Bang Theory than it is to create a new local show that could very well bomb.

One thought I had today is that if the ratings gap between NBL and COPS is not huge, then the NBL could look to pay to overcome that and/or deliver a live-game sponsor to One HD. Of course, finding sponsors is going to be difficult but surely a Footlocker would get more mileage out of a season of NBL than they did with High Stakes Hoops?

I wish the ABC could have a channel dedicated to Australian sport, specifically those that can't quite crack the big networks, but which do promote well-being and provide professional pathways to younger athletes - SANFL, NBL, baseball, lacrosse, etc.

Reply #332449 | Report this post

Muzz Buzz  
Years ago

the ethos of One hd is being destroyed because it was eating into foxtel.
I know when they asked me why i was quitting foxtel i said because i have one hd now.
This is purely an insurance play by Murdoch and Packer to proetct their massive investment in foxtel. also remember they paid huge money to the a league so it is also convenient to protect that at the same time

Reply #332451 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yet they're still obligated to go to all the trouble of actually filming the games with commentary (unless those costs are covered by the league) so Alexkrad's point is that given those costs, wouldn't they want to make the most of their investment.

Which I assume they have to do contractually. Just like when they made sure there was a "near live within three hours" clause in the contract so they didn't have to show the games live but within three hours of the games starting. The problem was the NBL allowing them that loophole.

They think Cops, Airline, Black Gold and all this other rubbish would outrate the NBL and chances are it probably does given the channels ratings share has improved since moving away from sport.

Reply #332452 | Report this post

alexkrad  
Years ago

This three hour loophole people are talking about.. is the NBL considering shifting Saturday/Sunday games to earlier? I think Shane Heal or maybe someone else tweeted something to that effect.

Sunday games are usually 4 anyway.. 3 hour delay puts that starting at 7.. up against some tough competition but at least its not 1030.

What about games in the eastern states being televised in Perth? not sure who has daylight savings but 730 tip off + 3 hour delay - 3 hour time difference = 730 on TV in Perth?

Reply #332462 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If the NBL moves the time of the games forcing ONE to go into prime time for saturday and sunday matches, they might just go 'screw it, we're cutting the contract up'.

If they're putting all this work into producing the games, you'd figure they'd want people to see it. However, moving game times might just be the last resort for Channel Ten.

However, i don't see an issue with there being some sort of:

Thursday - 7 PM (NZ Slot)
Friday Night - 7PM
Saturday Arvo - 2PM (Perth Wildcats slot)
Saturday Twilight - 4PM (Adelaide/Syd/Mel Slot)
Saturday Evening - 7PM (NQ slot)
Sunday Arvo - 3/4PM (Adel/Syd/Mel Slot)

Then we'd be talking Ten's options for EST at the latest possible time:

Thurs: 8PMish (dunno if NZ matters/counts in the contract)
Fri: 10PMish
Sat: 7PM or 10PM if they want to go NQ (which they seem to want to avoid)
Sun: 6/7PM

Reply #332464 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Also;

I have a feeling we shouldn't expect that great of coverage this year, i don't think ONE will put much into it expenses wise. They won't be spending time on graphics etc. I think we can forget about 'Overtime' returning.

And for Isaac, the ABC would cut the SANFL if there wasn't such a large public backlash. It's a shame the position some of our sport codes are in at this current time. However i'm with you, i wish ABC had a channel for the NBLs, SANFLs and so on.

Reply #332465 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I agree with Anon above if the NBL were to say start games earlier at around 4pm so as to force One into showing them at 7pm it might be the thing that sees Ten cut a cheque and blow the whole thing up.

I don't think that would be a smart move by the NBL to totally destroy the relationship with Ten especially given the league isn't exactly on the best terms with Fox either.

The smart thing now is to lump it try and make the most of it this season (it's still three games a week on FTA) and maybe re-evaluate things next offseason.

Reply #332504 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Alexkrad, I think that was just someone suggesting that as a joke. Could work for a Sunday afternoon, but can't see them considering it otherwise.

Reply #332508 | Report this post

alexkrad  
Years ago

Sunday games are usually early any way? wouldnt they rather play them live in the arvo than 3 hours delayed at prime time?

Reply #332521 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

For those interested, I just emailed the NBL and confirmed that One HD do indeed pay for production (camera operators, commentators, etc) of the NBL games they broadcast.

Reply #332545 | Report this post

alexkrad  
Years ago

How much would production of a game cost?

What if NBL fronted 50% (thanks iinet?) if ONE agreed to show the three games a week live or one hour delay.

Make it 66%, then One would only be paying for one game a week ?

Reply #332563 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Isaac, I would've assumed so given Ten are paying the NBL $600K a year over five years for the right to show the competition.

Reply #332573 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:12 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754