natwhereyouat
Years ago

NBL Wiki site

Hi guys,
I'm making a NBL wiki site, i've been working on it for about 2 months now. Realistically prob about 2-3 weeks away from it going live. http://www.facebook.com/pages/NBL-Wiki/285890598103899 is the facebook fan page, you can keep up to date with the site there. When it's active www.NBLwiki.com will be the address. ATM it's just a holding page there.

I've been going through this forum for the past few years, and actually picked up a lot of info for the wiki on here as the NBL site seems to delete old news articles after a certain time. So thanks guys!

This is and will be updated daily. Season stats will be updated at the end of the season.
At the moment the Wiki includes
Player info/Stats
Team info
Team records
League records
League streaks
NBA & The NBL
Award winners
Season/Season breakdowns
Old news articles from newspapers
Old articles from One on One, Pro Basketball Today etc

What else would you like on the site that you find impossible to find on the net?

Topic #26437 | Report this topic

HoldenV8  
Years ago

Any chance on getting info about former NBL venues? There is info about some of them on Wikipedia such as Apollo, Melbourne Park (Rod Laver & Vodafone), BEC, Acer Arena etc but other venues like Albert Park Stadium, the old Wollongong Snakepit, Kingborough Sports Centre (Hobart) and Bankstown Basketball Stadium have none and info about them isn't always the easiest to find.

Reply #332483 | Report this post

Will there be live game reports in the wiki as well as player profiles, team profiles etc.?

Reply #332484 | Report this post

boss  
Years ago

i miss pro basketball today every friday

Reply #332485 | Report this post

natwhereyouat  
Years ago

"Any chance on getting info about former NBL venues? There is info about some of them on Wikipedia such as Apollo, Melbourne Park (Rod Laver & Vodafone), BEC, Acer Arena etc but other venues like Albert Park Stadium, the old Wollongong Snakepit, Kingborough Sports Centre (Hobart) and Bankstown Basketball Stadium have none and info about them isn't always the easiest to find."

There will be some info on some of the older venues. Snake Pit, Kingborough Sports Centre etc. Still getting some pics of some of the other stadiums.

"Will there be live game reports in the wiki as well as player profiles, team profiles etc.?"

There will be player profiles, i have all stats from every team & every player. Eventually there will be a profile for each player. There's over 5,000 players that have played in the league so there's a fair chunk to get through. Once i've gotten up around 50-60% of the players i will launch the site.
All teams (old & current) have their own profiles.
As for live game reports, from this year onwards there will be a section for that, with old box scores. Eventually i will update older game reports from previous seasons, but these are pretty hard to come by. Thankfully i have close to every Pro Basketball Today released, which covers abour 70% of the 90s. 80s, you'd have 0 chance. The NBL doesn't even have these.

Reply #332489 | Report this post

Confused  
Years ago

Given that wiki already has an NBL Australia entry, and the majority of NBL players are already in wiki etc etc,
wont the wiki moderators just prevent you from creating a whole lot of duplicates?

would it not be easier to apply to extent the existing? if applying is what you do...

Reply #332524 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

More work in this person doing their own site, but also no risk of Wikipedia admins deleting little-known players for a lack of notoriety. Wikipedia might not want a Matt Sutton in there, but a comprehensive NBL Wiki would, as one example.

Didn't OzHoops have an almanac project or something along those lines that was attempting to do all this?

Reply #332525 | Report this post

Little Zip Zip  
Years ago

Nat,

Hawks have a large Histrory site up
http://www.hawkshistory.com.au/ that you might find useful

Reply #332527 | Report this post

natwhereyouat  
Years ago

@ Confused
Like Issac said, Wikipedia don't allow new pages unless they have references etc. It's generally harder to get those players that only played 1,2,3,4 seasons in the NBL on wikipedia. Unless they also played overseas.

There's actually a HEAP of players that are not on Wikipedia some little known others actually played a large part of the league early on.
Also wikepedia won't allow you to upload things like old newspaper clippings, magazine clippings etc.

This way i can allow any player to have their own page. Not only that but i have every player stats from every team. Defunct teams included. Something Wikipedia does not have and would not allow as there is no online reference to it. I have the info direct from the league HQ.

Reply #332533 | Report this post

Julian  
Years ago

Are we any closer to launch?

Reply #335617 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:35 am, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754