The Brad
Years ago

Replacement of Import

According to the following article it seems Marty is in no rush to replace the injured Williamson.

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/import-may-return-if-bogut-short-term/story-e6frecj3-1226150413233

To me this sounds like he's flirting with danger. To go into a season without 2 of your 10 point players and missing both for a number of games is a bad bad decision. Yes Ballinger may be back in October but he will be coming off a foot operation and will have done now preseason with his new team mates.
Then to wait until Christmas to make a decision, your 12 games in and very much behind the 8 ball. If Marty thinks he's going to win games with the group he's got I think he's kidding himself!

PG: Warren
SG: Herbert
SF: Weigh
PF: Johnson
C: Helliwell

That group is not going to win too many games, sorry.
Get it done now Marty!

Topic #26440 | Report this topic

Big Marty  
Years ago

Granted I would agree that it doesn't look all that great at the moment, but the team is still fairly deep without the import slot filled.

Keep in mind that this lineup did win games in the Pre-season clash that took on fully stocked teams in Sydney, Wollongong and GC.

Also, remember last year we played Perth in the opener and everyone assumed that we would lose that; last time I checked (Since I was there), we won that one; and that was with Ballinger starting at Center :P

God, I remember that awesome Winder alley-oop too.

Reply #332530 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

That article really only suggests we will wait on Williamson if we get Bogut.
I doubt we would seriously consider running until Christmas with 1 import and an underdone Ballinger, that's just madness.
We lost heavily to GC without Petrie and Harvey.
We beat Sydney without Dann and Bose.
We beat Wollongong without their second import.
We beat Cairns without Crosswhite and Wilson.

We haven't really played anyone at full strength yet, when the season starts everyone will be at or near full strength, so we can't afford to be 1 of our most important players down for a fair chunk of the season, especially when our best player is also battling against time to get up for games too.

Reply #332531 | Report this post

Mr Black  
Years ago

If you gey Bogey you wont need another import. Furthermore, If the NBA lock out happens, you may get a very good player for very little as an import.

Reply #332532 | Report this post

BJF  
Years ago

Hendo
conversely we beat those teams without potentially our 2 best players. 2 players that have far greater impact on a game than what the opposing team was missing.

If we lost to Blaze and they were missing Wortho and Gibbo / import i would be worried.

The team is vastly improved on last years it seems at this stage without those 2 and i am happy with that.

Reply #332534 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Fact if Adelaide dont go into the first game with 2 imports season will be too far done by time they get off their recruiting asses and sign one! Team isnt deep enough to compete for real, and Ballinger is no guarantee to be at full strength at all this season. IF they dont do the right thing by the club (themsleves) and the fans, i will NOT be renewing my tickets next season, this Bogut thing cant be seen as a legit deal until it happens, id love it too, but is say recruit as per normal, and go in as full strength as you can, and dont be playing catchup for the season. Also no playoffs, no Marty Clarke next year, surely!

Reply #332538 | Report this post

illicit  
Years ago

Im thinking we are trying obviously for Bogut, or pending on fiba other NBA players (i.e. Wes Mathews or others) then as said in the article when/if the NBA starts again we'll be happy to get Williamson back.

So it might be a slow start but id rather try get a real quality import rather than us signing one this week in a panic. Sure its not the perfect situation but ya gotta roll with the punches, an also hope Weigh an DJ continue their pre seas form which i think they will.

Reply #332540 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Reading comprehension, people!

While the 36ers have fingers crossed a deal can be inked with Bogut, they also are looking at import options and want a player in the Williamson mould.
Clarke only said they wouldn't rush in terms of grabbing the first available player. e.g., better to get the guy they want even if it means missing the first game, rather than just snatch up anyone nearby.

The only situation in which it mentions waiting until Christmas is if we get Bogut.

Reply #332541 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Fact if Adelaide dont go into the first game with 2 imports season will be too far done by time they get off their recruiting asses and sign one!
What a load of crap. They could go into the first game with one import, then the second game onwards with two imports without writing off a season.

Reply #332542 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

If you think Marty was going to sit back and wait for Williamson to recover and not look at other options....why would they release Williamson?

All the article said was that they werent going to rush to replace JWill.

I think we will have a replacement come game 1 (Bogut or Import), at the most I would say the replacement will miss 1 game.

There is no need for everyone to panic and throw out ridiculous replacement options like Tucker or Pero etc....be patient.

BJF, yes we were missing players along with the other teams and the impact of our losses may have been greater than theres but I think the point being made is come season proper those teams will have those players and we still wont have ours.

Reply #332543 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I just hope the 6ers can get healthy and click at the right stage of the season, there is a genuine opportunity to finish in the 4th spot of the finals this season. They have chosen to put alot of emphasis on Ballinger being the 'franchise player' which i definitely believe he is not, but due to that, we will need his body healthy later on. Whatever import the 6ers go with, whenever they select one, that import will basically hold the key to how far the 6ers and Clarke will go. The crowd in in place and ready, its all on the heirachy to get it right...again, considering many touted Williamson to be a star in waiting. I will be giving the 6ers around the 5 game mark to make my assessment. I hope things turn around!!!

Reply #332553 | Report this post

Hanging Round  
Years ago

IF Adelaide rush into this and recruit a dud, they will cop heaps of crap on here.
Surely it is better to take a short time to assess options and get a decent fit than to rush in and make a mistake which will jeopardise the whole season?
Agree with Isaac that playing round 1 with 1 import will not destroy the whole season. Need to look at the big picture.

Reply #332595 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

LOL Isaac, just think how many less posts you'd have on this forum if people read things properly all the time!

Reply #332605 | Report this post

E=MC2  
Years ago

Anon 2538 - Oh no, an anon poster on hoops isn't going to renew his tickets if we don't do what he says. Best be getting worried!

Reply #332669 | Report this post

Loco  
Years ago

^^^ I've been too busy panicing and burning my merchandise to even read any replies after the original post.

Up is down, black is white, cats are living with dogs, MASS HYSTERIA!

r-tard.

Reply #332738 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

I agree with Isaac, no season is done after 1 game. Breakers played 5 games without Penney and went on to win the Title.

Reply #332909 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:12 am, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754