____
Years ago

Lightning, Real Contenders???

To me the Lightning is looking pretty good
How do they look compared to the other teams

Topic #26477 | Report this topic

Astor  
Years ago

Assuming that Adelaide's roster gels properly (read Dandenong last season..), I predict that they'll be top three with Bulleen and Dandenong this year. With this years roster and the coaching change, anything less would be a loss IMO.

Reply #333123 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

on paper they look great.. although hard to tell with no pre season games.. would expect the first few games to be 'ugly' wins before we see them looking good.

Reply #333124 | Report this post

Out of water  
Years ago

honestly, they will win it all IMO provided that they stay fit and don't have injury to key members

starting five is the best in the league

Reply #333125 | Report this post

hustle  
Years ago

What would be their starting 5 (admittedly limited knowledge!)??

C - Batkovic
PF - Bishop
SF - Hill
SG - Screen
PG - Marino

6 - Lewis (G)
7 - Edmonson (F)
8 - Ireland (G)
9 - Herrick (C)
10 - Stabile (F)
11 - Minear (G)
12 - Talbot (F)

Is my guess from what is on the website. Anybody missing?

Reply #333138 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why wasn't somebody like Jess Mahoney asked to be in Lightning? She'd be clearly the better PG out of anyone on the list?

Is Talbot good enough to be on the list? Didn't go to AIS did she?

Reply #333140 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dare I say it for fear of Marino bashing but with that starting five I think we need a pass first PG to get the best out of the other four!!

Reply #333145 | Report this post

Q2  
Years ago

Talbot going to the AIS in January 2012. Besides Lewis that bench is very thin in talent. I dont beleive that the Lightning will be a Top 4 side because of their very thin bench. Clearly Mahony would have been a better back up PG than Ireland!

Reply #333148 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

All depends on how many injuries Suzy and Bishop come down with. Last few seasons Suzy has been injured and missed quite a few games.

Too thin at the 4 and 5, and I think they'll get smashed on the glass. Suzy can't go for 40 mins anymore.

Reply #333149 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lightning kick off their season this Saturday in a Double Header with the 36ers. 5.15pm Start time with doors opening at 4.30pm.

I will be looking to see the impact of the new recruits and hopefully a first up win against the Waves.

Hope to see you there.

Reply #333151 | Report this post

J  
Years ago

Will be an improvement on last year - injuries will factor, after the first 6or 7 players we look thin. We may sneak into 4

Reply #333191 | Report this post

Intheknow  
Years ago

Yeah the starting 5 look great and then Lewis can also play at that level... but after that.. well lets hope there are no injuries during the year!!

Reply #333237 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lets just hope the play as a TEAM, wihtout stating the obvious, the ball gets through hands.

Reply #333247 | Report this post

Years ago

we will be lucky to make 4 - bendigo big improvers. 5th or 6th sounds about right.

starting 5 looks good - but given screen an batkovics injury history - i would be reluctant to say we will get a season out of them.

teh x factor is buckles coaching - on teh upside.

female basketball power bases are all the eastern seaboard at present.

Reply #333321 | Report this post

Out of water  
Years ago

MARINO - hottest babe in the league, by far!
Next best would be Marsh from WA

As for the Lightning performance I think a few of you are underestimating the bench

Minear, Edminson & Lewis are all good

Reply #333445 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Canberra (assuming Graf doesn't make mid-season additions), Dandenong, Bulleen are all weaker then last season.

Adelaide big improvers but as stated above a lot depends on the health of Batkovic in particular.

Reply #333447 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Bishop and the new coach are pretty good.

(We could've had a little bit of Carla Borrego and some Erin Phillips for real. What's done is done.
4th.)

Reply #333449 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Highly unlikely Graffy will make any mid season moves. Canberra will be fighting it out for the 4th position. The Caps picked up Dombkins, have a solid squad, a little light at the 3, but are developing for the future.

While they lost Suzy, they have maintained their core of Tolo, Bibby, Wilson and Hunt. Cosier is out with a long-term injury which is being managed.

Tolo as a smokey for the MVP.

Only prediction I'm willing to make is that the AIS and West Coast will be fighting for the spoon.

Reply #333450 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Camel we could not of had Borrego or Phillips.

Stop talking rubbish

Reply #333454 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Phillips asked to play here but we knocked her back.
Seems the last spot was for a backup big -Borrego could've done that. I disremember who we signed instead

Reply #333462 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Camel you know that how? Spoken to Phillips and the club?

Shouldn't believe everything written.

Borrego isn't available due to netball commitments. Thunderbirds won't let her play WNBL due to the commitment and timing of the two leagues.

Reply #333463 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Seems Buckle's planting stories in the press that we couldn't afford Phillips, who said.' That's strange seeing I didn't even ask them for a dollar amount.'
Did we ask the T-Birds , or just guess. ?

Reply #333464 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Camel,

Maybe its Phillips putting stuff in the press?

Reply #333466 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who are the development players this year, and where is Wilson she seems to be dropped from list?

Reply #333486 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Borrego was never a chance for the WNBL just quietly. Very lucky the the Thunderbirds and NSA couldn't do anything to stop her from playing for Forrestville

Reply #333639 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why is that, from what I heard she was encouraged to play to improve her fitness.

Reply #333644 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Buckle planting stories ?? well that would be out of character -- Not.

Reply #333651 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Surely Herrick and Stabile are there because of Pritchard??? Agree, with the types of these two on the bench, how desperate were we??

Reply #333870 | Report this post

____  
Years ago

i loved that herrick was on for how long and was on four fouls
i thought ireland, minear and talbot did well for the time they were on only really messed up once or twice

Reply #333872 | Report this post

BMF  
Years ago

playing junk minutes...i think it was a good sign of the times...Bishop and Baktovic were awesome..

really looked like the team had chemistry..only early days tho and only the West Coast too

Reply #333879 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Didn't know where to post this but hasn't Angela finished that law degree yet?

Reply #333887 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Believe she started it in 2003

Reply #333892 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Was good to see junior girls sitting on edge and included

Reply #333901 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:35 am, Sun 21 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754