Anonymous
Years ago

36ers say time is up for Bogut

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/basketball/sixers-offer-nba-star-andrew-bogut-his-deadline-for-season/story-e6frect3-1226158543840

Topic #26490 | Report this topic

SRT070  
Years ago

i read that, but judging by the time of the article it made no sense as it came out after 5pm today?? good on the sixers though, bogut knows who he is going to be playing for according to his agent so why not let the clubs know so they can accommodate/find someone else.

Reply #333200 | Report this post

Big Marty  
Years ago

Well, the article states that by 5pm - 5/10/2011, he will confirm signing with us, or the Kings.

Plain and simple really.

And it was about time someone did. I would have hoped either Sixers or Kings management would have pulled the ultimatum out.

Regardless of who he signs with, I somehow doubt he will have as much impact as we might assume. Certainly set plays would be out for the first few weeks.

Reply #333210 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I think a few people suspect that it was going to be the Kings or nothing all along and that other clubs may have been strung along a bit.

Reply #333214 | Report this post

Big Marty  
Years ago

Wouldn't surprise me Isaac.

Back when he became the No#1 season ticket holder for the league (or whatever magical title it was) a few years back, he openly said "I was a big Sydney Kings fan growing up".

Frankly I'm at the point now where if he IS going to play in the league, he'd better be here for a few games; all this hyping with no action is getting annoying.

Reply #333216 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

I think the Sixers have got a bit of nerve really... It's not like he's dragging it out on purpose, he's trying to find the best way that he can be covered if something happens while playing for PEANUTS in a league that needs his help to grow their profile...

I understand that the Sixers need to move forward with their plans, but why not do it the classy way like the Hawks did (did I just say that?) while waiting on GE and go looking for a replacement and then when push comes to shove and a decision has to be made, approach them professionally, not via the press, and make your decision...

We need Bogut a LOT more than he needs us, so to try to force his hand when you're the least likely option, when all he wants to do is give our league a bit of a boost, is pretty crap...

As for announcing his decision before the insurance is sorted... can you imagine the hate directed at him if he announces his decision and then the insurance can't be worked out and he can't play?

Reply #333217 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I suspect there'd be more going on behind the scenes than revealed. I'm guessing the Blaze bailed through frustration at this insurance stuff.

Reply #333221 | Report this post

Danger Mouse  
Years ago

I would be dissapointed if the sixers haven't already scouted out and talked to a specific import or 2 as a back up plan.

They had to figure Bogut was a long shot, so surely they weren't sitting on their hands while waiting for Bogut.

Good call to move on, time to activate Plan B.

Reply #333222 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

well said on all points wookie

Reply #333223 | Report this post

Bogut is looking after Bogut
He doesnt want to play at all but thought he would get some good PR from saying he does.
It has backfired on him and now he is searching for more excuses.
More than 1 team has offered him what he asked for and he knocked them back.
The Blaze were legit as they offered what he asked for and that is why the players got excited.
Sydney the same.
I Dont know what the 36ers offer was.

Reply #333225 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

League sponsor Centrebet don't seem to be keen to post season odds or even game odds until they know either way.

Reply #333227 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Clarke was talkin to those alike Williamson , who were gonna come here , before we chose Williamson,
while Leeanne was talkin to Bogut's agent , who was stayin up for days tryin to get it sorted, with lawyers , insurance clauses, claims history,FIBA,NBA lockout, time differences etc.

Good to see LeBron and Yao on The Simpsons, last nite and Homer got it all sorted.

Reply #333228 | Report this post

alexkrad  
Years ago

36ers were really the only team that could legitimately fit him in, with the import on his way, and even ballinger out for x weeks.

But if it is happening for exposure for NBL and PR for Bogut, Sydney was always the logical place for him to sign.

Anyway every team that said the were working out if they could sign him got an extra news story or two they wouldnt have so win win ?

Reply #333229 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

That's pretty woolly thinking there Mr Red Knitted Jumper.

It's got nothing to do with whether or not NBL clubs have met pay demands, etc.

The entire issue hangs on getting insurance to cover Bogut's Bucks contract.

If he gets insurance he will play, if he doesn't, he won't. Simple as that. And who can blame him for that?

Reply #333230 | Report this post

OK so how has Kobe got insurance already to play in Italy? All the Argentinian NBA players have got insurance. It has nothing to do with FIBA.
This is a smelly situation that has been created.
Why doesn't Bogut say i have signed with x club and will play as soon as the insurance is sorted out. The reason is he doesnt want to play i tells ya.

Reply #333231 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

LeBron - " This was the best day of my life."
Lisa Simpson - " Didn't you sign a ninety million dollar contract ? "
LeBron - " Aw , the second best day of my life, then."

Reply #333232 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/more-sports/decision-day-for-kings-and-bogut/story-e6frey6i-1226158514418
(what happened to linky?)

Looks like It's today or never for both clubs.
If Sydney is willing to wait an extra week to sort out the details, seems a bit sus that Boguts management aren't.

Reply #333238 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Kobe doesn't have a serious existing elbow injury. He also is dealing with a club in Italy that clearly has a lot more money to spend and can probably afford to pay whatever the insurance company asks without blinking. On top of that, they don't have to deal with an Australian-European time difference, which also slows things down.

I'm as frustrated as anyone else that this is taking awhile, but I really don't think its because Bogut doesn't want to play. Bogut has consistently said he wants to play in the NBL while the lockout is on and I have seen zero information that would suggest otherwise. So unless you have some info noone else knows about, I'd say that your claim that he doesn't want to play is based on nothing but your own imagination.

Reply #333240 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Hendo, that's an interesting article. Every other article I've read used those quotes to suggest today is the deadline for Bogut to play THIS WEEK. But this one goes further to say that it is today or nothing. Gonna have to check back on those other articles. See if this guy has misinterpreted, or if he is actually on the money.

Reply #333242 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

"Andrew thinks it is just too much of a distraction on the team he goes to if it isn't sorted before the first game."
That's a decision for the club and coach. If Bogut doesn't want to play NBL, he should stop tweeting that he does. Does Jacob Holmes ignore an offer to replace Hinder because he's worried about Crocs chemistry? The club put an offer to him because they want him in the side. Same goes with these NBL teams and Bogut.
Kings general manager David Wolf and coach Ian Robilliard said they would be happy to bring Bogut to the club once the season has already started, but Kaider said it was a case of now or never.
Sounds like a false dichotomy. Could be journalist misquoting the agent. Kings (and other clubs) have put significant effort into trying to make this deal work and "don't want to ruin chemistry" should not be a reason to bail. My guess is that they will push for unlikely adjustments to the insurance contract and put that up as the obstacle.

Of course it is Bogut's decision ultimately, but if he wanted to play (as he's continually said), coming in a week late would not be a deal-breaker.

(Insurance is a different issue.)

Reply #333246 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Yeah, every other article I've read - SMH, Herald Sun, Melb Age - is just saying that there needs to be a decision today in order for Bogut to suit up in round 1.

This Tyson Otto character from the Daily Tele is the only one who has come to the conclusion that its today or nothing. I reckon he may have misinterpreted what Kaider was saying.

Reply #333248 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Issac - "My guess is that they will push for unlikely adjustments to the insurance contract and put that up as the obstacle."

So you think Bogut doesnt actually want to play NBL?

Reply #333250 | Report this post

BMF  
Years ago

i think Bogut like most of us are sick of the hold out on decisions for it..

if Bogut really wants to play he can head to europe like the rest and get going...

he is probably enjoying his time in Australia with family...

Reply #333253 | Report this post

dont get me wrong i hope he does play in the nbl, just i think i am probably right.

Reply #333255 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Interesting that Delonte West is stuck working a menial retail chain job because his criminal record means that he can't play outside the US (or something like that).

Reply #333257 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

So you think Bogut doesnt actually want to play NBL?
I'm suspicious that he floated all this without thinking that any NBL club could actually make it happen; underestimating the lengths to which clubs would go. It's not that I think he doesn't want to, but that it's not quite in his interests - he stands to potentially lose more (doesn't average 30 and 20, or gets injured) than he might gain (goodwill only; money is meagre, insurance virtually goes into the ether).

He's not a bastard so obviously nothing about it is malicious, and I hope he does play in the league, but a few things I've heard and that "now or never" line from the agent makes me wonder. Hopefully I'm completely wrong.

Reply #333259 | Report this post

from the FIBA website regarding NBA players

"FIBA has stated that it is up to the clubs to decide whether or not they shall sign a waiver clearing them of any responsibility towards the player in case of injury and other reasons preventing him from returning to the NBA and from fulfilling his obligations vis-à-vis his NBA team."

FIBA has nothing to do with the insurance it sounds like.

Reply #333262 | Report this post

observer  
Years ago

Sixers dont want to waste time,we are minus two players atm,Bogut hasnt come to Adelaide to talk with Clark face to face so he is in Sydney most of the time,he will go to big city which is Syd Kings.Good thing what Sixers did give him deadline.Sixers by 5pm doing what Gold Coast did pullout.

Reply #333266 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Robilliard:

"What would you do?" Kings coach Ian Robilliard asked. "You don't pay $500,000 (for an insurance policy on Bogut) to have a guy sitting on the sideline."
"Even if he signs five minutes before tip-off, Andrew will suit up and we'll have a discussion."
Kings have tried to send a playbook to Bogut so he's able to prepare if he thinks he can sign with them. Full article

Read weak source that the Kings have a press conference tentatively booked in case Bogut signs.

Kings are the enemy, but I'd bet/hope that every NBL fan is backing them in this.

Reply #333271 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

That's what I've been thinking all along. What does FIBA have to do with Bogut's insurance??? Surely that is between Bogut, the NBL club and possibly the Milwaukee Bucks.

FIBA may have to ratify a contract once it's registered by the NBL.

I'm only guessing, but the insurance only covers Bogut's remaining $39 mill contract, surely that should be his choice to fund the insurance. If he really really wants to suit up, why doesn't he pony up the premium???

Will the extra revenue that Bogut brings a club cover his insurance premium??

Reply #333272 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think Isaac is on the money a bit it all does start to seem like that it was more a thought bubble from Bogut that he probably didn't take too seriously initially.

Reply #333273 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

TR, well someone has to cover it and it's hefty enough that he's not going to pay it himself ($500k or whatever for a short term). I don't think it's unreasonable that he's asked his suitors to pay that, but I heard at least one club felt frustrated that they went the distance to help that happen and there are further sticking points.

I believe he's also looking to get his side ventures promoted as part of the deal, but that's not ridiculous either - it's something clubs can offer at little cost (other than opportunity cost) and that he can take in lieu of market wage.

Hopefully the Kings get a resolution this afternoon so the clubs and league can focus entirely on promoting the season opener before people forget Patty Mills is going up against Julian Khazzouh, etc.

Reply #333275 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

'thought bubble', more like fart bubble...

End of the day, and this rests with Bogut, as the old saying goes 'put up or shut up'..

He said he was keen, so a number of clubs probably made deals with the devil and gave up first born children to make it happen.

He's now sitting in the lame duck position, with personally, not a whole lot to gain bar goodwill and more to lose if things turn to custard.

Reply #333276 | Report this post

billo  
Years ago

Does anyone know anything about the company managing him One Management? I started following them on twitter to keep in the loop about his signing but I get the impression they've not been in the game long and perhaps don't really know what they're doing.

In particular this struck me as odd:

Exciting times. Hopefully we will have a full time office base by the end of the week. Look out, @One_Management is coming.

Is it just one of Bogut's mates doing it all from a laptop and a mobile phone and making it up as he goes along?

Reply #333279 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Yep yep, I understand that someone has to cover it, but I can't see why this is so difficult. If a club has found the cash, and an insurance policy has been accepted, then what's with the dicking around?? I'm led to believe that Sydney have a policy and cash ready to go.

There are ways to move money, investments etc. As a person trying to protect his own interests, he's not doing a lot (on the surface) to help. He's a marketable person, and companies would probably throw some money at in exchange for appearance etc etc.

Just before he was drafted, Bogut did an interview which I posted here, talking promoting the NBL and assisting in it's growth. Well, maybe that day is someday with week. (You even bolded the important parts for me)

http://www.hoops.com.au/forum/3371-bogut-draft-interview-part-2/

As I see it, and too be honest, I'm over the "will he, won't he", if he wanted to play he could make it happen tomorrow.

Reply #333280 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

TR, this article probably answers your question about FIBA. Is quite old though, so you would think they'd have a streamlined process for players to follow by now.

http://www.nba.com/2011/news/07/29/FIBA-clearance/index.html

One thing to remember about this process is that Bogut said some weeks back that, while he did want to play, he didn't want to bankrupt any NBL clubs either. If he went into this having been advised that an insurance deal could be worked out, but then it turned out that satisfactory insurance coverage proved a little too much for all NBL clubs, then I don't think its fair to crucify him for it.

The other thing to think about is that his agent has said lawyers back in the US are involved in the talks too. Are they Bogut's lawyers or the Milwaukee Bucks lawyers? I wouldn't be surprised to hear if lawyers representing the Bucks were insisting on stronger protections in the insurance deal than NBL clubs can afford.

Last thing to consider is that they could be stalling a tiny bit, to see what comes out of the current NBA collective bargaining talks. Stern said today that next Monday is the deadline to reach agreement before the NBA starts cancelling games. Bogut wouldn't want to sign this week, only for an agreement to be reached and for him to have to report to training camp in the US having played only 2-3 games here.

Reply #333283 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

TR, maybe there is something else he can do re: getting a sponsor on board to help with the insurance, but he has done a fair bit already in reportedly agreeing to play for the NBL minimum of $32k. I strongly doubt any other NBA players are jumping at deals to play overseas for that little!

Reply #333286 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I hear so many different things that I just give up trying to follow all this and just wait to see what happens.

It was written somewhere the other day that an insuarance policy thingo was finished but Boguts management werent happy with a few clauses and sent it back (to whom, i dont know I'm so confused) for changes.

Reply #333288 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

billo - I get the same idea. the person using that one management twitter account also uses it as if its their personal account, tweeting people about catching up overseas etc. Seems super unprofessional surely Bogut could do better.

Reply #333290 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Thanks Bean, as I said, part of the issue that I have is that I haven't been following this all that closely, so happy to be corrected and given a helping hand.

If done correctly, I can't see how Bogut would backrupt a NBL franchise. Proper safeguards, third party deals etc. I also think the NBL is being narrow minded on this as well.

The AFL have done smart things with players at new franchises. Hell, they dropped a few mill on a NRL player who has never played a decent game of AFL football in his life.

He should do what Boris Diaw has done. Diaw bought a French team a while ago, and is now playing for them on a minimum wage. Investing is his home league, and investing in his own club.

I will retain my blinkers and blind faith that if he wanted it to happen tomorrow, it could happen tomorrow.

Reply #333292 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

I think we're all operating mostly on blind faith right now TR... that and Aussie basketball journalism - I'm not sure which is more reliable really.

Reply #333294 | Report this post

BJF  
Years ago

My thought on this and as the article linked above says there is already a trodden path for Bogut to follow in regards to insurance. Why is it so difficult for him when others have got the cover needed quite easily. And they got it months ago as well.

One Management have suggested it is not the cost that is the issue now but certain clauses. If the Spurs lawyers are happy with the cover Ginobili got then why would the Bucks be putting higher than necessary pressure on Bogut?

There are a number of legitimate questions that One / they could answer very quickly. They are happy to tweet the hype, it would be good if they did the same with some of these grey areas.

Reply #333297 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Bean, I don't believe that the NBL would allow Bogut to play for minimum - there is the expectation that a player of a certain calibre be paid a certain amount under the cap. He wouldn't have to be paid mega bucks, but something remotely close to what other 10 point players would be getting. Same is true for all players I think.

Reply #333308 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

The constant mentioning of FIBA has had me suspicious for a while. I hope I am wrong.

Reply #333310 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Kings have just plugged ticket sales for their first home game. Probably just coincidental though.

Reply #333316 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bogut arguing with people on twitter. shits getting nasty.

AndrewMBogut Andrew Bogut
It really hurts me seeing what sort of people we have running the game I love in Australia.

Reply #333319 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

I Heard he was talking about lawn bowls Isaac... ;-)

Reply #333326 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

oops, must be going cross-eyed. My comment is in response to anon

Reply #333327 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So what's it all mean? He's not going to play NBL now then?

Reply #333328 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

bogut raging at skip and even more so at ben fitz. he better play or else he'll so look stupid and those guys will be right.

Reply #333329 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

No, still up in the air, still a possibility I guess. Everyone just frustrated with the insurance issue.

Previous anon, I think that was in response to Skip and BF but a bit puzzling if so - one's a music guy and the other is a silent partner in a team (who admittedly was pretty soundly baiting Bogut; both are hotheads - sorry Ben!). Neither has much to do with running Australian basketball. Unless Skip is secretly orchestrating the demise of the NBL, I'm not sure where the hurt's coming from. Never felt that Skip was anything but genuine about basketball and everything else.

Reply #333330 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Skip can't run a karaoke contest let alone basketball in Australia!!

Reply #333331 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Isaac, tell Fitz to keep out of it, the last thing that needs to happen is that knucklehead messing up the chances of Bogut suiting.

Reply #333332 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ben Fitz ex NBL club executive for a reason

Reply #333334 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Where are the skip and BF comments that are being referred to?

Reply #333336 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

@BenFitz @One_Management mate stay out of issues you have no clue about.

@One_Management dont worry about @benfitz mate. Guy has no idea around what is Going on. Theres a Reason why he is the FORMER Adelaide GM!

@ @SkipStrudwicke please mate u have no idea how many late nights we have had on the phone to @fiba europe. Everyday since last week. Grow up

It really hurts me seeing what sort of people we have running the game I love in Australia.

Reply #333337 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

On Bogut's twitter account

Reply #333338 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Yep, Isaac has it right. Everyone just a bit frustrated with the whole process (incl Bogut) right now and causing a bit of unnecessary angst.

Just need to let Bogut get on with it and make his decision when he is ready, rather than provoking silly comments on twitter.

Reply #333339 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Have to agree with Fitz. What's the hold up, seriously?? There are some questions which can be easily answered instead of delay tactics.

A number of NBL teams have allegedly met the asking price, NBA players are currently playing in other leagues around the world, other players and agents are getting it done.

Is the insurance process made harder due to the concerns regarding AB's elbow or back issues???

Is it because insurance companies don't want to touch the policy??

I really hope (and want) AB joins the Kings, as it will give a great boost to the league, hell, I'll be driving from Canberra to Sydney and the Gong to watch him play if he suits up. I'm just struggling to see how difficult this all is.

In some ways, the marketing/branding pre-season boat has sailed. The A-League promoted the crap out of Harry Kewell, and I place AB on the same pedestal as Kewell in Australian sports, right up the top.

Happy to be educated if someone can give the answers.

Reply #333340 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

maybe hes talking bout the brissy nbl problems who knows

Reply #333342 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

antagonizing him is a stupid idea no matter what is going on what is getting heard etc.
i dont know either skip or fitz but it looks really bad for bogut to be spending energy tweeting in defence to a few guys, really bad form very embarassed for them.
hoping thats the end of fitz's rant.

Reply #333348 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"I have decided Andrew Bogut in oz is like having Miranda Kerr living next door. Sure you get to see her, She will smile politely in your direction every now and then and maybe you even talk to her but the chances of anything happening between you is really remote."

I thought that was a good one.

Reply #333350 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Anon, Bogut's not going to stay out of the NBL because someone on Twitter baited him into responding by airing what a few people are thinking behind the scenes, so don't worry about that. Whether Ben should've antagonised him or whether Bogut's should've bothered responding is another issue.

I don't think the Blaze for example would've bailed if they weren't frustrated at something - remember there was a point where their players were pretty confident about it all (probably club meeting the insurance figure, etc). This would've been a negotiation that none of these clubs had experienced previously and I bet that has come into play also.

Reply #333354 | Report this post

FM  
Years ago

In a response to Ian Robilliard's playbook perhaps?

Reply #333355 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Hahahaha, nice one FM

Reply #333356 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Tony Parker has officially signed with his club ASVEL in France...

Reply #333357 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

What's Kobe in Italy? $3M for 40days?

Reply #333358 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

am sure he wouldnt pull out of playing here over being individually singled out on public forums, but i still believe it should not have happened thats all.
i also think blaze being cocky like they are took the same things other clubs got told and turned it into a circus of their own accord, they are pretty good at exagerating and making a big deal about their version of events.
i honestly do not think bogut is the kind of guy who messed any of them around.
perhaps things got taken out of context along the way and people got over eager.
does not sound like something that is comfortable for bogut to go through either.
just my take.

Reply #333360 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Stay out of it Fitz, your input isn't welcomed.

Reply #333361 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The blaze were never really in the hunt - sure they did due diligence and met with him but they were never going to cough up the cash needed
Milked it for a while but decided to stop the circus and get down to business for game 1

Reply #333363 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

I just wish the Bogut would make an announcement of who he intends to sign for. At least Adelaide & Sydney can then get on with the season knowing they will either have the big guy for a while or they won't. And I dare say both clubs have got fans holding off on buying tickets until they know if Bogut will suit up for them or not so it's not helping the NBL or the clubs by not knowing.

Sure, I'm hoping AB signs here with the 36ers, but I'm not holding my breath. Either club can live without him though I think Adelaide are better off for centres with two near 7 footers (DJ & Halliwell) on the roster and Bogut aside, I think we'll find that DJ is going to be the best centre in the NBL this season and for a few years to come. IMO DJ can become the NBL's next Mark Bradtke.....ie the leagues most dominant centre (and while he's with the 3ers, that's a bonus for us).

Reply #333364 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Agree on the DJ comments

Reply #333366 | Report this post

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

When you say the 36ers are better off than Sydney for centres, are you forgetting the big Kazoo and veteran Mark Nitties? Sydney are fairly well off in the big man department themselves and that's not including Jerai Grant. They almost get too big if Bogut joins.

Shame to see the Twitter messages. Good on Bogut for replying but no-one wins when disagreements are played out publicly.

Reply #333367 | Report this post

clarky  
Years ago

Let me start by saying this is entirely my opinion, and sorry for such a long post

I think Fitz raised some good questions to Bogut/One Management on twitter, all of which were either unanswered or completely ignored.

With all the talk that teams were able to meet the insurance requirements along with salary/points cap stuff and yet no deal has been done (or looks close to done), it makes me wonder whether Bogut will suit up in the NBL.

As far as I was aware FIBA gave the initial clearance for NBA players to play overseas (starting with the Deron Williams contract), outside of that it is just a matter of meeting insurance coverage and finding a team willing to make the payments/meet the demands of NBA players.
There is something like 60+ players currently under contract in various leagues around the world during the lockout, I'm starting to wonder what the hold up is on getting a deal done.

One Management responded to one of Fitz's tweets by saying:

all players are different and are prepared to take different degrees of risk

Does this mean that given his injury/rehab progress that Bogut isn't willing to take the risk of playing and possibly injuring himself?
Wouldn't such a high number of players being cleared to sign overseas mean that all avenues of the insurance issue would be covered?
Surely if Kenyon Martin and Manu Ginobili can get clearance to play internationally and overseas during the lockout with their injury history then Bogut should be able to as well.

The One Management team said in one of the recent news articles (can't remember which one) that they needed the insurance policy clauses looked over by their legal team. But I don't really understand how there can be any significant clauses in an insurance contract for something like this. Surely it is simply a matter of 'Pay the premium, Covered for injury'?

The only reason that I can think of which may be causing the hold up on insurance clearance is if there is a clause which states that his contract is only covered if he sustains a new, significant injury as opposed to aggravating an existing one.
If this is the case, then Bogut will struggle to get any kind of coverage to allow him to play in the league, in which case I feel he should release a statement along the lines of:

"Due to issues in gaining appropriate insurance cover for my existing injury I am unwilling and unable to take this significant risk by playing in the NBL for the duration of the NBA Lockout"

By coming out and making a simple statement like that (if this is infact the issue) then he may be able to save face and minimise the damage this will cause to his image/reputation in Australia. Because in my opinion if he doesn't end up playing in the league during the lockout, without providing fans with an honest and believable justification after all this publicity and hype, he will seriously tarnish his image here in Australia.

Reply #333370 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

clarky who does anybody think they are though, that bogut his team or whoever should have to answer a smarmy sounding individual person for what was tweeted anyway!?!
i think if it was somebody else it would be thought as being quite rude but as a former sixers manager it makes it ok or is known to people here so it is ok???
its still rude and ballsy he is not answerable to any one individual.. everybody wants to know where he will play even if he will, but we dont all go round hammering him or his management about it???
it is still rude imo, very rude.

Reply #333372 | Report this post

FM  
Years ago

Bogut initiated the NBL announcement via twitter, hence he deserves what anyone wants to throw his way.

Reply #333373 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

and how many thought to be rude to him out of thousands of tweeters that follow him??? there you go.

Reply #333374 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The 36ers should be telling that skip bloke to take his crap music along with his opinions of Andrew Bogut elsewhere, Ben Fitz just looking for a fight again should have let Julius smash him when he had the chance.......wannabe's!!!

Reply #333376 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

For what it's worth, who seriously thought Bogut was a chance in hell he'd ever join the 36ers?

It's a shame, i just hope he goes and signs with the Kings asap or if it's nobody, he stops dragging it out.

Reply #333378 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

i would be happy for him to play anywhere in this country even for a week.
a guy in his prime who wont play here again until he is ready to retire and the lockout must be stressful for all of the players with the uncertainty.
he is only human generally carries himself well and i think everybody should just leave him be if they do not have anything nice to say to him

Reply #333380 | Report this post

clarky  
Years ago

To anon #333372:
As social media, Twitter is essentially 2-Way communication. If someone tweets @ me, there is no reason why I have to reply. For a professional athlete using twitter as a means of communicating with their fans, they should expect to not only be asked questions when something like this comes up, but also be willing to cop the criticism and other aspects of it as well.

Many athletes seem happy to use Twitter to promote themselves, their teams, their brands, their sponsors etc. and that's great - But they have to remember that by using social media and providing fans with this kind of access to them, they will be asked tough questions, be criticised and possibly even abused by fans (and non-fans).

Reply #333381 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

i agree with you that it works both ways to a big degree but i feel the situation was already frustrating for him and he has since said so, perhaps it is also getting him down and someone taking that angle with him was the straw that broke the camels back. he normally when he posts doesnt respond to comments except here and there so for him to snap back must of really bothered him.

Reply #333382 | Report this post

clarky  
Years ago

I'm not denying that he was bothered by it, in fact I am pleased to see that he seems to be responding to fans on a regular basis.

The fact that the continual hype and dragging of the process has been ongoing (with no clear end in sight - through no obvious fault of his), you could say it is slowly becoming an NBL version of LeBron's "Decision" announcement:

- Multiple teams vying for his services
- Extra focus of the media on the situation
- Teams holding out for a decision, which delays filling of roster spots etc.
- Fans of all clubs involved becoming more frustrated from a lack of information and outcomes

Now don't get me wrong, in no way am I saying that Bogut is the equivalent of LeBron in terms of the potential damage it may cause to teams, but you have to admit that a lot of the media hype may turn into backlash if something negative were to happen (ie: Not able to secure appropriate insurance and unable to play in the NBL)

Reply #333383 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

lbj is a good player, but nowhere near the calibre of bogut as a human being.
could you ever say that lbj cares if he sent clubs broke? nup.
sure boguts situation dragging out is not his fault but i dont think it will cause the same kind of damage with a decision.
lbj dragged it out bc he is a took personality and up himself bogut is a victim of circumstance not his own creation.
and taking a gamble just to play in this country when he could of gone to euro like others.
he sacrificed that to play in this shitty arse country with all its stuff ups and media hype skewed journalism who talk it up for a story and internet hits.
you cant think for a moment that they have played a gigantic part in the pressures and expectations he would feel every day as the season opener draws closer and closer.

Reply #333384 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

Not sure why any anger was thrown at me. I mentioned on my Twitter that there were people now implying that he wasn't genuine about playing in the NBL and finished the tweet saying I hoped that wasn't the case.

I never said that was my opinion. I also never tagged him in the tweet.

Was surprised he would have even seen the tweet as he doesn't follow me.

Reply #333385 | Report this post

clarky  
Years ago

His people are watching you Skip.

Be afraid, be very afraid....

=P

Reply #333386 | Report this post

alexkrad  
Years ago

hahahaha skip ....

I am going to tweet him and tell him he looks like a tall hobo when his hair is long and see if he will tell me to grow up too

Reply #333387 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

The accessibility of Bogut (and a lot of Australian basketball players) on Twitter is great IMO - using Twitter well.

For what it's worth, who seriously thought Bogut was a chance in hell he'd ever join the 36ers?
I thought it was some chance of happening, hearing him and his agent talk about discussions with the club (they wouldn't have entertained those longer than a day if it weren't an option) and hearing that after initial issues with the reported insurance costs they came close (close enough that there were ways to tip it over) or covered it. If you're implying that Bogut wouldn't want to play in/for little old Adelaide, surely he would've made that clear up front and saved a lot of drama, right?

I think it's now strayed from seeing if the clubs could uphold their side, to clearing the issues on Bogut's side (insurance clauses).

Reply #333388 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I understand that Bogut would have legitimately wanted to weigh up the offers and think about each of them, so i do not believe he was misleading the 36ers, but when it comes down to it, if the option is there and aslong as each of the teams are capable of covering the insurance and stipulations, i don't see 36ers being selected over the Kings, or the Blaze..or the Wildcats. We'd almost have to be the only team vying for his services in reality.

It's not that he doesn't want to play here, but he'd rather play in NSW/VIC/QLD/WA. With all things being relatively equal offers wise, i cannot see any chance that Bogut would choose Adelaide over the Kings.

Reply #333389 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

interesting comments by Rob Beveridge about Bogut

http://www.6pr.com.au/bogut-to-sydney/20111004-1l7j8.html

Reply #333390 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

From anon's link:

He [Bevo] let slip Andrew Bogut was a certainty to sign with Sydney this week.
Not quite certainty. Had a quick listen and he says that his "mail" is that Bogut will suit for the Kings, but doesn't quite mention it as a certainty.

He was asked how close Perth got to getting Bogut. Said Bogut rang him, wanted to go to Perth. Bevo decided that he didn't want to cut anyone from a close-knit group or jump through insurance obstacles so they withdrew, after some initial interest I guess. Wonder if Bogut's initial interest in Perth was in playing for Bevo or just that they had (almost) a spot and points spare - was Nevill still unsigned at that point?

Asked about the 36ers this week, he said they would be underdogs ("wounded animal") given the injuries and that the Cats were playing great ball, but noted that Adelaide were "very well coached" and a bogey team for the Cats last year.

Reply #333391 | Report this post

Annex5  
Years ago

Skip is an absolute goose without a clue - should seriously STFU

Reply #333397 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

When it comes to this situation, who DOES have a clue bar Bogut and his management, Annex5?

People are allowed to put some opinion up, and people are allowed to say what is being said around hoops world. It's not like it was a straight-up attack, if you don't like comments made, just ignore them. I doubt AB is all that hurt by it.

Reply #333400 | Report this post

Panther32  
Years ago

There would have been a lot of clauses in AB's contract that would not allow him to put himself in a situation where he could potentially get injured, unless it was with the Milwaukee Bucks or another team in the NBA.
I remember reading a story once about Luc Longley and how he dislocated his shoulder whilst Body Boarding and then his Insurance deal disallowed him from doing that anymore. It also included things like riding a Harley Davidson, ski diving, bungee jumping etc.
All insurance deals worth that much would have some very strict details relating to the client, no of which the average Joe would know about.
So I really do think people should just get on with life and stop worrying about where he's going to play or if he's going to play.
We got some great media around the country and the world which is a great thing for our game, let's take that as a win and get on with life.
I wouldn't be surprised if AB just says I can't be bothered with this shit anymore, it's all too hard and doesn't play anywhere and moves back to the states to work out with the NBA guys over there.

Reply #333409 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Completely agree w your comments about detailed insurance clauses Panther. It's exactly the reason why I'm willing to believe that Bogut is genuinely having probs getting an acceptable agreement.

Reply #333412 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

TR - just in response to your's and others' comments about Bogut and his ability to secure insurance.

The issue isn't getting insurance, it's what that insurance covers and how much risk Bogut can and should accept in undertaking an exercise that primarily benefits the NBL.

Yes, he does have some profile benefits, although I don't think that's an issue for him in Oz anyway. He does have some other potential business promotion benefits, but certainly nothing that warrants putting at risk the $35M + contract he has in the NBA.

I think Bogut's only mistake was being too keen to announce he would play in the NBL, before fully understanding the complexities of his insurence issues. As someone else said earlier, it's likely out of genuine excitement rather than some alterior motive, but it does give ammunition to the haters and the conspiracy theorists.

In my view, Bogut has shown time and time again that he is an advocate for Australian basketball, without seeking personal acclaim in return. I think the example where he met Kings' players salaries when the Firepower fiasco was going on demonstrates that. That was something that only hit the media well after the fact.

Reply #333448 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Thanks doc, appreciated the insight.

Reply #333453 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:46 pm, Tue 23 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754