Anonymous
Years ago

Youth Leage

Unless you are in division 1 what the fuk is the point of playing!?

This is a typical fixture for Div 2 and below

North Adelaide Rockets 4 vs North Adelaide Rockets 3
North Adelaide Rockets 2 vs Woodville Warriors 2
BYE Norwood Flames 2

Topic #26508 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Should be 4 Divs only per age group.

1 Club per div.

Rest to Youth League.

Have a great time playing with yourself.

Reply #333514 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So if I read the competition notes pasted below, i believe you are in a pro/rel for summer and are played in 5 week phases which should see it changed up during the season I would have thought Competition Notes
Competitions that use promotion/relegation are divided into groups and scheduled in 5 week phases. After each phase, the top 2 teams in each group are promoted to the higher group (if there is one) and the bottom two teams are demoted to the lower group (if there is one).

The schedule for the next phase will become available after the previous phase has been completed.

Please ensure you are aware of the by-laws relating to the movement of players between teams.

Reply #333517 | Report this post

tough tiger  
Years ago

dont like it dontplay, if all teams forfieted the first week wonder what would happen

Reply #333525 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The whole North/South thing sucks. Work on your game and play Div 1 and you don't have to worry about it though...

Reply #333530 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Im from Country Victoria so im sorry that I dont get this yl thing in SA

is it not easier to have 2div with a limit of 1 yl per club per gender.

is that not easier? makes the competition alot better and the fight for spots is also on.

I do suppose we have alot of club/assassinations in Melbounre/Victoria so its alot easier but just a thought

Reply #333535 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^^Apparently they doing the North/South thing because people don't like travelling on Tuesday nights. But honestly if you're in YL you should have a license/car. If you don't have a licence/car is it really that hard just to carpool with some team mates???
The promotion/relegation system could work out ok but in the end it's probably just going to be North/Sturt playing each other every week in the top pools and teams like Magic/Centrals/Woodville playing each other weekly in the bottom pools.

Reply #333541 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

my bad Sturt/North wouldn't play each other so it'd be North and somebody else playing each other while in South leage it'd be Sturt/Forestville playing each other each week.

Reply #333542 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why is YL other than Div 1 treated as an after thought.

Why is there not more than 2 Divs in Summer season.

Why did BSA back away from fully timed games for Div 1 & 2 which they announced initially

Why is Div 2 treated worse than Div 2 juniors who do not have pro/rel and enjoy NOT being in North South pools and enjoy pitting their skills against all teams generally in an equal number of games

Why do 8 out of 10 teams make finals in winter

Why pay the upcoming increase in game fees when I can play fully timed senior games

In a year or two's time I see the YL decline if it is not already doing so. This will end up being another red mark against BSA and an I'll thought out competition which when announced was exciting but has failed to deliver for most participants

Reply #333570 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'll should be ill

Reply #333573 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Youth league was a great idea in theory but BSAed in practice.

Reply #333586 | Report this post

Short Memories  
Years ago

You guys forget how bad the old Under 20s was. It is not perfect by any means but still way ahead Under 20s.

Reply #333587 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Season starts in 2 weeks and I have looked at the draw and hard to get excited about playing again

Reply #333588 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I thought U 20's was better but nevertheless IF it is better it doesn't mean it is good.

Why is this so hard to fix?

Reply #333594 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I have just had another look at the draw and I notice that in some junior phases and groups they have 6 teams and not 5 teams and so avoiding byes.

When looking at the youth league we have 4 North and 4 South groups of 5 teams which means that each week we have 8 teams not playing. In fact when looking at the North pool they have two Forestville teams to make up the numbers.

Why does each North South pool require the same number of groups. The logic of the groups is slightly flawed anyway so why move a "south" designated team to a "north" pool.

If you left to two forestville teams in the south pool you would have 3 groups of 6 teams in the North pool and so no byes and in the South group 2 groups of 6 teams and 2 groups of 5 teams which results in only two teams not playing each week.

We end up having 6 more teams playing each week and perhaps some slightlier happier players as they may have more variety in the teams they play.

Don't we want people playing basketball rather than not!!

Reply #333617 | Report this post

Dione 45  
Years ago

under 20 were fined until they brought in the under 23 comp at the same time and devalued the comp.

add this to the list of BSA stuff ups and they expect clubs to have confidence in them - clubs need help - they dont listen. just keep making up new structures
SORT OUT THE NEEDS FIRST

BSA bASICALLY STUFF ALL GOOD

Reply #333620 | Report this post

hogwash 27  
Years ago

Would make more sence to have it all in for the summer grading season, and then North/South for the winter season with cross over finals.

That would give a greater range of teams to play over summer and with smart scheduling not a large level of travel.

Then for winter teams would be more easily graded and because you can have 8 or 10 teams comps, there would still be a good range of teams and less travel.

Reply #333630 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hogwash, Not a bad idea but I personally want to play all the good teams from the other pool during the winter season. Perhaps Div 2 should be as per juniors and Div 3 and below can operate in North South pools

Reply #333637 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

the phasing is not so bad, it's the north/south division that sucks. if you look at last season the north pools were generally weaker and because they mainly played amongst themselves there were teams making finals that wouldn't have if they had to play all the team in their division evenly. i know a lot of the teams would prefer to ditch the north/south divisions and do the travel

Reply #333642 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Travel is a genuine issue in basketball in SA. They have tried to do something about that which is good. Having a div 1 only in U23s and seniors one to whatever might be the answer. Realistically div 1 should be the carrot and really is div 3 and below district standard?

Reply #333666 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So what is different between Div 2 Juniors and Seniors v Div 2 YL?

Maybe div 3 and below is ok but surely each competition should have the same rules regarding North South pools for Juniors YL and Seniors.

To me this is sending a very clear message to YL other than Div 1 - "Go look somewhere else to play!"

Reply #333672 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wait - there's more! It seems there is a chance that game fees for YL Div 2 and below will be increased to the same level as Div 1. For that I don't get fully timed games and I don't get to play in a competition which is balanced with all clubs participating. Someone at BSA must think that because I play Div 2 not only can I not play basketball but I am stupid too!!

Reply #333697 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:31 pm, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754