2. Melbourne
3. Gold Coast
4. New Zealand
5. Adelaide
6. Sydney
7. Cairns
8. Wollongong
9. Townsville

Full article including ins and outs and the usual forecast line. No wildcard this year, at least not in the online version.

Anyone care to list their wildcards (maybe 1-2 per team) for this season?

Perth - Wagstaff
Melbourne - ?
Gold Coast - Petrie
New Zealand - Corletto?
Adelaide - Herbert
Sydney - Bose, Gynes or Bruce? Probably Bruce
Cairns - Hill
Wollongong - Catron and Martin
Townsville - a lot riding on the imports now

Topic #26515 | Report this topic

36ers solja  
Years ago

Haha! Hill a wildcard? Surely not!

Reply #333660 | Report this post

hustle  
Years ago

I think if Walker is slotting in as a starting big for the Tigers, then a lot rests on his shoulders, especially on D.
You know Mills, Ubaka and Dorsey will do their thing so the wildcard could be a guy like Walker.

Also for Cairns, a lot rides on the imports as always. But I can see with both Crosswhite and Loughton having injury clouds, that Rhycart becomes a little more important.

Reply #333674 | Report this post

hustle  
Years ago

*Rychart

:S

Reply #333675 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

36ers solja: I can see Hill being a wildcard. He has the potential score 15-20 and he has shown it in the past. Maybe with Cairns' relatively shallow squad and new coach/culture he could produce something much greater than he did at the Sixers?

Also i like Boti's ladder predictions, not sure about T'ville last even with Hinder/Schensch out but here's hoping Adelaide really improve!

Reply #333691 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

May be wrong, but I don't think a team could be successful with Hill as a primary component but on a team picked at the South of the ladder, I think he could definitely be a 15 PPG player. That's wildcard, IMO.

I'm not sure about having Melbourne so high on the ladder, but I would have Cairns and Townsville at the bottom. In the Crocs' case, major injuries and a number of roster changes. In the Taipans' case, lost some key performers and have two major bigs injured also.

Reply #333695 | Report this post

36ers solja  
Years ago

Gaze and his mate on the NBL show spoke of Hill as a saviour and yet it was only in his last half of the year he came through with the goods required.

I find it amusing because he was lauded as a development player and yet 3 years after whoever spoke those words, still has Brad as a development player. He had a massive opportunity and blew it. Cairns might allow him a different path to follow but for my liking, how many chances can a guy have?

Reply #333698 | Report this post

Achtung Baby  
Years ago

If you are looking for a wildcard, Liam Rush seems to be a forgotten man in the Melbourne team. Could be a huge acquasition- 15ppg, 6rpg, 3apg and has capabilities of a 2spg and 2 bpg also.

I think Jacob Holmes could see his stocks rise in Townsville. Look for him to be a huge contibutor, as his energy and competitiveness really stands out on a poor team.

I would also be looking at a breakout season from Rhys Martin at Wollongong too. shows lots of promise, if he can improve consistency in jumpshot, and keep TO's down.

Reply #333701 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Hill was no dud last season. Makes his mistakes and has his flaws, but can do some things well. Definitely a cut above the average development player.

Can't see Rush being a wildcard playing power forward, but if Mills goes and they shuffle everyone around, maybe.

Reply #333706 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

hill will have a break out season(like dillon last year).....'the shackles are off'(re-you rednecks off his back)if he can stay healthy this will be his best year ever.

Reply #333731 | Report this post

The Special 1  
Years ago

Johnson for Adelaide

Reply #333786 | Report this post

kr  
Years ago

Todd Blanchfield to be a wildcard for the crocs. Will see a lot more minutes this year and has the potential to score points in a hurry. Most improved candidate!

Reply #333801 | Report this post

kr  
Years ago

Also imo the only two locks for a top four finish are Perth and NZ. Melbourne, Gold coast and Sydney are all great on paper but as yet unproven. Last two spots could go to anyone.

Reply #333802 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

I actually think Bennie Lewis is a wildcard for the Tigers. He may not play much at all, but I think if he were to get decent minutes, he could put up some nice numbers. He's just stuck in a bit of a logjam in the backcourt this season.

Reply #333821 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:28 am, Wed 17 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754