Mix Master Wipe
Years ago

Cairns signs Mee

The Cairns Taipans have signed Darnell Mee for 2years.
Article on NBL website

Topic #2653 | Report this topic

TR  
Years ago

hmmmm, that's just (*&#*$( lovely...... great way to end the week.

The 36ers had better be working overtime in getting Willie's ink on a contract, as the two free agents that could of help us the most are now loving the sun in Qld.

Oops, should I make that three free agents (Cat, Mee and Bradtke) that could of help have now followed the sun.

Reply #29964 | Report this post

Thomo  
Years ago

Woohoo once again we miss out on a player who was desperate to come back to the Sixers

better be substantially cheaper tickets to watch whats looking to be a substantially weaker team hope fully phil can weave some magic otherwises i sense we are entering another Don Shipway Don Monson era of not making finals.

come on guys the players wanted to come home surely something could have been worked out instead we do nothing great promotion guys.

sigh great work guys

all i hope now is farley signs and signs real quick and we can pick up a couple quality player that are left hoare or moore or castle

but for gods sake do something guys and do it fast..

grrr

Reply #29966 | Report this post

Stephon  
Years ago

In what way are we going to be weaker?

Because Jason Williams has been replaced by Brad Hill?

The only other 2 players we might lose from last year's team are Gower and Rees.

Who would have you cut to make way for Mee or Bradtke?

Maher, Dusty or Farley?

They are the only 3 who would have been offered big contracts.

No point in wishing for Bradtke to replace a minimum earner such as Rees or Mee to come in for Gower and keep everyone else.

Its a bit like going to a Philadelphia 76ers forum and reading that the team should have traded Dalembert for Shaq and criticising the coaches and management for not making it happening.

As great a player as Darnell is, a straight up replacement of Mee for Farley wouldn't have made us any stronger.

How much pressure would have there been on Maher and Dusty to score given how inconsistent the rest of our roster's scoring is.

Reply #29971 | Report this post

joshuapending  
Years ago

yeah that is crap but i always had a feeling we were not going to get Mee, dusty, and willie. The thing now is willie can name his price as we have no other proven option. Hopefully they sign him for 2 as well so we might have the same possible situation down that track that we had now where we may have been able to get all of them.

Reply #29980 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

He will likely become naturalised during that period and will be a huge asset to Cairns. They're looking good -- Mee, Grabau, Cattalini, Burgess, Melvin, Stewart, Boodnikoff, Crosswell -- 8 strong players there. Salary, according to Cairns news, is $150k.

Reply #29982 | Report this post

DA  
Years ago

i dont know about anyone else but i am getting sick and tired of seeing the sixers go downhill because of bad management i really think we need more than truslove cooper and ng coming off the bench we need more substantial players like every other team has. please dont quote the salary cap because all teams SHOULD have the same amount of money. there is something terribly wrong with recruiting measures if we let players like bratke, mee,copeland, cattalini etc. be taken from us because we are too slow to pick up the phone.just because we are wanting to get farley back doesnt mean we dont go after other fantastic players.

Reply #29995 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

how do u guys know that Darnell wanted to come back to the sixers i dont think he wanted to come back, same as Bradkte i think money has to do with these two guys going else where

Reply #30020 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Money has to be the only reason because Bradtke himself said on last week's Talking Hoops program that he would have considered Adelaide. Unlike what Stephon said about who we would replace him for, we have lost Williams, Nash and possibly Rees. I would have taken Bradtke to replace all three of these as far as salary goes. If we then lost Hambour and Gower, I would replace them with another 2 rookies.

Reply #30023 | Report this post

Stephon  
Years ago

EC, you think Williams, Nash and Rees would have freed up enough money to get Bradtke? (Besides, Williams has already been replaced with Hill).

Williams and Rees were close to minimum last year. Remember last year when Rees almost didn't sign because of how cheap the 36ers were being with his offer?

You can't run with an 8 man line up so even if you pushed up Hambour and Gower to 9 and 10, you are effectively left with Nash's salary to get Bradtke.

I'm certain Nash was not on the $150,000 to $175,000 needed to get Bradtke.

Oh, and the above is assuming that all the players this year are on the same as last year.

Wouldn't Brad Hill get a pay rise? How about Cooper, Farley and Dusty? That would also eat into the cap we have to work with.

Like I said, if you are going to say we should have got Bradtke, back it up with something serious like we should have cut Farley and Holmes.

The Bradtke for Rees and Nash is no better than the Dalembert for Shaq trade I mentioned in the first post.

Reply #30029 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

If this is your argument Stephon, then there is something surely wrong when you look at other teams rosters. It seems that Adelaide is the only one doing this legally according to the cap. Either that or good players will play for less elsewhere and expect more here.

As far as Hill goes, isn't he a rookie? Nash said that an offer that was going around for him wasn't even enough to support his family. Assuming he could support his family last year on his income alone, he would have been on a resonable amount. Add that to Rees salary plus a difference in salary between Williams and Hill, you may have just scraped in to get Bradtke.

As for other players expecting a pay rise this season, that would surely be dependent on the salary cap increasing. You can't increase payments if the cap stays the same. I think the whole problem of money comes from the Sixers not even wanting to reach the salary cap and do things cheaper.

Reply #30031 | Report this post

joshuapending  
Years ago

we are doing things right and to the book because as i see it they dont have the cash to throw around so they mights as well be as strict as possible. I wish we could get more players but i think its all stuffed at the moment and they just have to be like this until the board opens their eyes or BASA work something out.

Reply #30046 | Report this post

Stephon  
Years ago

You are spot on EC. Some team's are over the cap. Its not hard to cheat the cap but you have to have the funds to do it. Past 36ers teams did have the funds but under current management we will not cheat the cap.

Look at Brisbane. Forget Matthews but Kevin Freeman would have been a max player. They have also lost Castle and Kerle.

Of course you can increase your salary even if the cap stays the same. For example, Cooper might have signed for bugger-all last year, had a good season and now his agent rightfully asks for a pay rise. Happens all the time.

Bradtke + Mackinnon for Freeman, Castle and Kerle would have involved some creative accounting work but not as creative as the Bradtke for Rees + Nash that has been floated around.

Reply #30070 | Report this post

DA  
Years ago

one thing that puzzles me is we know that nearly all the other teams are way above the salary cap and manage to hide the fact but how do they get around the points system

Reply #30079 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

The signings continue everywhere except Adelaide.

Wonder win the season ticket prices will be announced! Will there be a team to spend our money on to go watch or will they want us once again to pay up before knowing half the roster.

Reply #30125 | Report this post

Mix Master Wipe  
Years ago

Dont forget about the possibilty of signing big names Blake Truslove and Stephen Hoare!

The 36ers should have a look at Aaron Trahair if he's still a free agent!

How can this guy still be playing?
He has a 37% fg career average.
It shows its who you know ,not what you know!!!

Reply #30127 | Report this post

The Mouse  
Years ago

THIS THREAD JUST GOES TO SHOW THE VAST MAJORITY OF YOU KNOW NOTHING ABOUT THE NBL, ESPECIALLY THE FACT THAT BASA HAVE NO MONEY, UNDERSTAND NO MONEY...!!!!TO GET BRADTKE, MEE, CATT ETC YOU NEED MONEY FOOLS....AND YES I KNOW I AM YELLING!!

SO GET REAL, GET OVER IT, WE HAVE TO DO WHAT WE CAN WITH WHAT MONEY WE HAVE SO STOP BLEETING ABOUT WHO WE HAVE MISSED OUT ON BECAUSE IN REALITY WE HAVEN'T MISSED OUT ON ANYONE....THE ONLY WAY WOULD BE TO HAVE CUT MAHER....WOULD YOU HAVE DONE THAT?.....FOOLS.

Reply #30146 | Report this post

The Facts  
Years ago

Get back to us when you find out what they spent on their marketing team. Also they are vluntarily spending $70000 under the cap!

Reply #30147 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

How many forwards will we have next season.

Jacob (F/G), Dusty (F), Oscar (F)

and they are looking at Timmons (if naturalised) and Hoare who are both Forwards.

Than Truslove who is a poormans Centre, better suited as a Forward!!

Reply #30176 | Report this post

Kriss  
Years ago

God no not timmons...i can't stand him. I rate Truslove over Timmons any day of the week

Reply #30281 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

LOL, come on who wouldn't want a forward who loves to take threes (note I didn't say make three's!).

Timmons was pretty darn good when he first came into the league and had some great games with the Tigers, but his Perth stint (besides that 1 game in the final) was pretty average and it's all been down hill for him from there.

Reply #30378 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:13 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754