Anonymous
Years ago

Can NBL Escape ONE TV Situation

Surely 7mate, 7two or GO would be willing to show the NBL live next season. If any of them were keen, and the NBL knew it, what would happen. We all know that if ONE wanted to cut the NBL all together they'd have to pay out the NBL, but what would the NBL have to do to get out of the deal if another station was willing to show it?

Also, would this only happen if another station actually approached the NBL themselves as I'm assuming the NBL can't talk with other stations while they currently have a deal with one. Final question, surely ONE HD could be taken to court on this one. I doubt this near live crap was in the original contract, all the press releases said the games would be live for the next 5 years.

Surely ONE have violated the contract and in the off season the NBL could take them to court and either get out of the deal if they can find a better one or force them to show the games live like they were supposed to?

Topic #26587 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

a) Supposedly the three hour "near live" clause is in the contract, if so they haven't violated anything.

b) If the NBL asked Ten to tear the contract up, Ten would gladly do it.

Reply #334873 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good Intelligence Anon

Reply #334875 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

At the risk of repeating myself....

No, GEM or 7mate would not like to show the NBL next year. Ratings at the end of last season for live games were very poor. GEM and stations like it are "low budget", "buy content don't make it" Digital platforms.

Here is a little news for everyone on NBL and TV.

a) it costs a mint to produce
b) it is difficult to recover the rights fee in advertising revenue never mind the production costs

and

C) there is simply not a cache of corporates wanting to buy NBL airtime.

And finally, I never believed the NBL had a "show live" clause in its contract. Again for the uneducated, even the AFL have not been able to get a guaranteed live clause in their contrast up until this newest deal. Their last deal did not guarantee live games.

I was saying this at the end of last season and everyone howled me down saying the contract said LIVE. Turns out I was right all along... now I feel a little like ANON telling us about the BOGUT thing. BTW, I also predicted late night slots for NBL. So its HO 2 - ANON 1.

Given the NBL's negotiating position, there is no way they would have been able to get a broadcaster to commit to live coverage of NBL games.

Reply #334880 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Why would they want to 'escape'? Four years left on the contract, ONE covering twice as many games as Fox did in their last year, and that number is contracted to increase.

It sucks we cant see them live, but the NBL doesnt deserve prime time with the ratings it gets. So why, when you know you arent being chased by other networks, would you leave a five year deal that at least gives you the chance to work on getting more basketball fans watching the game on TV?

The aim this year should be to rate well enough at 1030 for it to move to 930 during the season. Apparently viewer numbers have started well in that regard. The NBL is a long way off live prime time on FTA.

Reply #334881 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Delayed sport all over the place in Australia is a joke - Ive heard we're worse in that regards than most other countries - or FTA stations are just awful

Reply #334893 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The issue for me is what is showing when the games are on - I could understand it if there was another big sporting event on but it's crazy that they're showing cops and shows like that and delaying the game. Surely those shows could be on after the game.

Reply #334895 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What's more disturbing is that shows like cops get better ratings then the NBL does. Even insiders on abc and ready steady cook rate better then basketball in australia

Reply #334896 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How could they expect the NBL to rate when it's on on at that time and delayed by so much. People complain about the AFL on Friday nights being on delay - while it's not ideal, at least it starts at the reasonable time of 8:30.

Reply #334900 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How could they expect the NBL to rate when it's on on at that time and delayed by so much. People complain about the AFL on Friday nights being on delay - while it's not ideal, at least it starts at the reasonable time of 8:30.

Reply #334901 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Reply #334902 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You could show NB! Live and it would still not drag enough ratings to pay for the time slot. Accept it's a niche sport and be grateful it's shown at all.

Reply #334904 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

niche sport? LOL!!

Reply #334937 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:21 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754