Anon
Years ago

NBL commentary

Has the game passed the current commentary team by?? The amount of times they're not up to date with the rules or are blaintently looking after there 'mates' is ridiculous considering we are trying to promote the game. I may be alone in this topic, but I think it's time for a change.

Topic #26599 | Report this topic

Mystro  
Years ago

Please explain "looking after their mates".

Reply #335006 | Report this post

MK  
Years ago

I kinda agree with annon. they just gotta stop talk up the same dudes. to me Hammer was talking to much on Cadee and I don't believe he had an offer from UCLA...

Reply #335013 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

should they talk the players down?

Reply #335019 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

It seems like particular players get talked up regardless of how good or bad they are playing.

Reply #335022 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

fair call

Reply #335025 | Report this post

Benji  
Years ago

I think the problem is they do, but it seems certain people are protected. Then players like Dean Brebner who hardly play, cops a baking from the commentators.

Reply #335027 | Report this post

Mutley  
Years ago

I agree with the comments re Cadee. It wouldn't hurt Heal to mention too that the gap between the best and worst of Goulding is greater than any other player in the NBL.

To me, Carfino is just a tired, spent force as a commentator. He was never a play by play guy, and he last played in the NBL about a thousand years ago. It is time to move on.

Reply #335028 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Joyce was good.

Reply #335030 | Report this post

Muzz Buzz  
Years ago

Carfino is the week link. Sports that get great ratings have great commentary teams. Cricket , Football heck how exciting does Phil Lygett make cycling for example, all have great voices.

In the hey day of the NBL Cometti and Quartermaine where staples of a great telecast.

My beef with Carfino is that a player can rip an unbelievable play and it doesn't really raise his heart beat.

If a similar play happened in say AFL or cricket it would get analysed 27 different ways highlighting how brilliant whatever just happened was.

Reply #335032 | Report this post

boss  
Years ago

during post game interviews carfino takes forever to say nothing then usually answers the question for the player/coach leaving them to just say yes or no.
its that frustrating ive had to change the channell mid-question coz i cant watch

Reply #335033 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I know a few people who watch the NBL with the sound down.

Reply #335051 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Carfino seems to say the same things every game.

"You couldn't tell if he's having a good game or a bad game"

"He doesn't get upset with a call often"

etc etc

Reply #335059 | Report this post

Tom Ryan  
Years ago

He's bashing the shite out of the line 'he's in rhythm'

Reply #335061 | Report this post

MW  
Years ago

i liked Joyce too, he should be on more often. he's been pretty insightful. in regards to highlights? i found the same thing but i'm not sure if it's the problem of One's inability to show highlights or is it Cafino's problem. I got a feeling it's 1 cbf to do the highlight play.

Reply #335065 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Get Richie benaud to do the basketball. Anyone who can make test cricket exciting would do wonders in the NBL

Reply #335068 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

NZ's broadcast of Breakers home games is much better for showing highlights

Reply #335073 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

I agree, Joyce is great. He also makes it easy for people who don't know the game to watch and understand.

Reply #335094 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

You will never see an NBL commentator (or anyone in the NBL for that matter) criticise the league or any of its players.

#1 thing wrong with the league IMO, no transparancy, no criticism.

Reply #335109 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cant agree with you there Mick, too much criticism, the sort of thing other leagues wouldnt put up with.

Reply #335116 | Report this post

JOaRiDrAN  
Years ago

At least the NBL got rid of John Casey. I couldn't handle his "user friendly roll" as for Carfino it has passed him, I feel when you turn on the NBL and hear a real strong American accent it seems a bit cheap/fake but, he's paid his dues, keep him on for quarter time/ half time interviews or special comments only.

I was watching some retro 6ers games the other day and forgot we had Quatermane commentating. It's a shame that all the good commentators are in the AFL. I say stick to the past players i.e Heal, Gaze and try and poach someone from the AFL

Reply #335127 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Like two years ago?

Dwayne Russell wasnt bad actually, Taylor not so much. The Perth and Adelaide commentators were solid last year, Darren Boyd isnt bad and he knows basketball pretty well. The options are there.

Reply #335144 | Report this post

MK  
Years ago

I don't agree with saying commentary don't say nothing bad about NBL. they criticize the refs fairly often and probably rightfully so. but as far as players and that? there seems to be bias

Reply #335145 | Report this post

lockstock  
Years ago

Bring back Bradtke. Like listening to Steady Eddy commentate.

Reply #335171 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bruce Palmer, he was excellent and for humour Simon Kerle.

Reply #335182 | Report this post

Brendon Joyce  
Years ago

Thanks 4 your comments. But stop using my name or i will take legal ACTION!.

Reply #335190 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I like the NBA coverage or commentating style. They talk about the plays, the strategy etc they dont bag their product ever and that includes the referees.

The positive with the old fox coverage a few years ago now was when it was interactive you could choose to hit the red button and mute the commentators. How heavenly would that be now!!

Reply #335196 | Report this post

harry  
Years ago

keep carfino
who the hell else are we going to bag????

Reply #335197 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Spot on anon, Carfino and Gaze spend much more time talking about a bad play or refs calls than they do all the good stuff and they never talk about the strategy. At least Joyce provides some info about the strategy.

All you want are commentators who respect the league enough to research whats going on and pump up the good bits, not just the import they want to take to bed!

Reply #335203 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:58 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754