Mick
Years ago

Two Rounds in: Revise Your Ladder Predictions.

Now we've had a chance to see some of the teams in action in a couple of games with proper regular season NBL pressure, what are your ladder predictions?

I reckon how the ladder is sitting now will be pretty close. My prediction:

New Zealand
Perth
Townsville
Wollongong
Cairns
Melbourne
Gold Coast
Adelaide
Sydney

Topic #26609 | Report this topic

KingJames  
Years ago

Perth
New Zealand
Melbourne
Adelaide
Gold Coast
Townsville
Wollongong
Cairns
Sydney

Probably only NZ in NZ could beat Perth. Other then that I think they could go close to being undefeated. Even with a crappy coach that just doesn't get it, we still have a good team and will start to get wins soon.

Reply #335115 | Report this post

kobe24  
Years ago

Love the optimism King james, but i doubt Adelaide will finish as high as 4th, they will hopefully have one good run of games in them this season, but wont be consistent enough to make the playoffs. Id love for my presumptions to be wrong!!!

Reply #335118 | Report this post

alexkrad  
Years ago

Perth
NZ
Gold Coast
Townsville
Melbourne
Cairns
Woolongong
Adelaide
Sydney

Havnt changed my opinion on Perth finishing first.
NZ are showing they will be fine without Penney.
Still think Gold Coast should have what it takes to finish strong.
Townsville are playing well without some key players and their imports looked good on the tv the other night.
I think Melbourne will be better when Patty Mills goes. Yeah he could win them games, but could also lose them, would rather see him being apart of the team rather than jacking up 3s all game.
Cairns are winning games everyone though they wouldnt, Playing with a B level team. Bring Loughton back in and they will only get better and prove everyone wrong. Maybe not enough to make finals though.
Woolongong will have a good record but not enough to push into the top 4.
Adelaide and Sydney will be fighting it out for the wooden spoon. Sorry guys but I dont know how you could place them ahead of any of the above teams.

Reply #335122 | Report this post

TJ  
Years ago

We have Ballinger to come still and imports to be fully settled still i think the 6ers could be even a number3 seed team

Reply #335123 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cairns are looking better of a sudden, 2-1 with 2 of 3 games on road so far with no Crosswhite or Loughton (best player by far). Warren looks to have finally found his touch and could be devastating if he can replicate even half as good a performance as last night. Dont thin its safe to have tehm near bottom of predicted ladder.

Reply #335125 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

I also believe Adelaide will come right with all their pieces to play with even though the coach likes benching people when they heat up.

Reply #335126 | Report this post

Justin  
Years ago

I'm still keeping the faith. Once we get balls back it will make a big difference then hopefully we can make a run. Can't afford to lose to Sydney or we will probably be 0-5 with Perth and New Zealand in the next few weeks

Reply #335129 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Perth and NZ will definitely fight out the top two spots.

Sydney still look underwhelming and Adelaide could have one of those seasons where we start staying "if we won that game...", or "if we had the split on.." If we are 0-5, then changes must be made.

Cairns are looking pretty good with Hill fired up. Jacob seems to have grown an extra leg at Townsville, although I haven't seen him in the shower....

There should not be much between 3 and 8.

Reply #335134 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

The Gold Coast Blaze look like the most unfit team in the league again this year.

In the First game against the Breakers they were outscored 34-20 in the final quarter.

In the 2nd game against a very weak Cairns team they were outscored 24-16 in the final quarter and did not score a single point for the last 4:19 of the game!

I think Joey needs to be looked at..He must be doing something wrong.

A quality roster like that should be performing much better. Although Warren caught fire in the Cairns game, the Cairns roster is terribly weak and their commitment to defence is non-existent.

They have given up an average of 96.5ppg.
I reckon Joey needs to start teaching some defence..

Reply #335135 | Report this post

orbit  
Years ago

Hey Kingjames why do u think Lemanis is crappy & doesn't get it?

Melb
Perth
NZ
Gold Coast
Tv
Wgong
Cns
Syd
Adel.

Gleesons got a way of starting slow & getting his side to peak at the business end. Perth probably cant play any better. No Penney will be a factor down the stretch. Joey can coach - don't write him off yet!

Reply #335155 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perth just warming up!!! Cant play any better? Why? Damo made Patty look like a kid playing u/14s, Why he gets fuk mins in the boomers is beyonde me!!

Perth v nz thats it!!!!! Who cares bout the rest there just making up the comp, but hope other teams get better!!! Im over the ppl saying, but if he was playing woulb be differnt n that, if Redhage didnt get injured we wouldve gone back 2 back!!!

Reply #335178 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Before the start of the season this was my prediction:

1. Perth
2. New Zealand
3. Gold Coast
4. Melbourne

5. Townsville
6. Cairns
7. Sydney
8. Adelaide
9. Wollongong

From what I've seen over these first two rounds, I may have rated the Blaze too highly but despite their current struggles I think they'll get a lot better as the season progresses.

Also I might have rated the Kings too highly and as things stand now swap the Kings and Hawks around, so Hawks 7th and Kings 9th.

Reply #335179 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anonymous: Damo is a great defender at the Nbl level but internationally I don't think he is quite athletic enough. Mills is a bit player in the NBA, many international PGs are starting five calibre NBA players.

Reply #335181 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

I'm not revising anything. It's only 2 games into the season and we're yet to have our strongest team on-court. I'm willing to give it a bit more time....

However, last quarter fade outs like we saw in the last 2 home games of 2010-11 and on Sunday at the 'Gong are getting a bit hard to deal with especially considering we had good leads at three quarter time of each game.

And what gives with Herbert playing 25 minutes, going 0/5 from the field, only pulling down 2 rebounds and giving away 4 fouls? How did those numbers give him that much game time when the likes of DJ (21 mins) and Mitch Creek (who sat out about half of the entire last half in a game which included shooting 2/2 3s and 7/9 from the field) played only 22 yet scored 18 with 3 rebounds and only 2 fouls. Bizarre way of running things IMO and from what we've seen, not overly effective.

I predicted Adelaide to come 4th or 5th but as it stands right now things don't look to bloody good.

Reply #335184 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

HoldenV8, good point "we're yet to have our strongest team on-court"

So far in the two games, we've never really been firing on "all V8 cylinders"

Reply #335195 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

still a few teams trying to get a full strength team onto the court fit and healthy so until then I won't be making to many predictions

Reply #335202 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

orbit I was talking about Clarke. Sorry for the confusion.

Reply #335206 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

Top 2
Perth: Haven't seen anything to suggest they will be beaten.
New Zealand: Form of Jackson makes them very hard to beat again.
These are the only 2 I can place with any real confidence.

Wollongong still need another import. Have a fairly proven lineup.
Adelaide have been running with 8 men. Ballinger should make a difference. Haven't seen enough of Simpson to properly judge. Hasn't been too pretty so far.
Sydney set to drop Ratzsch, so remains to be seen how they go with the replacement. Can't see them being top 4.
Melbourne really need to get it together. Plenty of talent, but they don't play as a team enough. If Burston or Tragardh get injured they will seriously struggle.
Cairns have had a couple good wins without Crosswhite and Loughton, so may have underestimated them. Warren was good last week, but can't see him lasting too long.
Gold Coast have a talented lineup, but have already lost 2 home games. Hard to come back from that.
Townsville had a good one last week. Schescher to come back. Holmes seems a good fit. Gill and Mims are a handy combination.

Reply #335222 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I picked NZ, Perth, Gold Coast and Wollongong as my top four. I am still happy with that, but Cairns going 2-1 without their two bigs tells me they will be very close.

As for the order of my bottom five, I wasnt confident before the season and am no clearer now!

Reply #335231 | Report this post

perth
nz
townsville
cairns
gold coast
melbourne
wollongong
adelaide
sydney

Reply #335263 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think that townsville will finish 3rd as I feel that holmes is a massive upgrade on hinder and the rest of the team should fire once fully fit

cairns, GC and the gong to fight it out for the last playoff spot

Reply #335390 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:32 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754