Anonymous
Years ago

Could Adelaide field two WNBL teams?

Look I understand the finances of running a WNBL would be horrible but there is a lot of reasons I think this could work.

If a Sturt or Forestville wanted to position themselves above the pack this would certainly be one way. Also a development pathway to the elite level.

Back in the day, not that long ago, Adelaide fielded three WNBL teams. Looking around the league right now there's a lot more SA WNBL players then NBL players.

There's also the issues with the current club.

I'm assuming it hasn't happened because no one has the funds or interest but I think there would be enough interest and local talent to make it work.

Thoughts?

Topic #26610 | Report this topic

trevor  
Years ago

I think talent wise its possible, considering AIS field a team in the WNBL.

But why would we want a second? It would eventually split the small fane base in two. The lightning needs all the fan support it can get.

Port Powers fan base is struggling, and football is 100 times bigger than womens basketball, so even if the money was there it wouldnt make sense to bring in a 2nd adelaide team.

Reply #335142 | Report this post

Rock  
Years ago

Who would want to lose about $400,000 per year? (and that would be scrimping...)

Reply #335148 | Report this post

orbit  
Years ago

You already have 2 - Lightning & 36ers!!

Reply #335153 | Report this post

Jake  
Years ago

No unless someone is prepared to bankroll it and use it as a tax loss

Reply #335199 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:21 pm, Thu 18 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754