HoldenV8
Years ago

NBL Attedance

Just the crowd numbers and average attendance over the first 2 NBL rounds of the season.....

ROUND 1
Tigers vs Kings - 3,500 @ State Netball and Hockey Centre (100% capacity)
Blaze vs Breakers - 3,446 @ Gold Coast Convention Centre (65% capacity)
36ers vs Wildcats - 5,683 @ Adelaide Arena (73% capacity)
Taipans vs Crocodiles - 5,300 @ Cairns Convention Centre (100% capacity)
Hawks vs Breakers - 3,329 @ WIN Entertainment Centre (57% capacity)

Round 1 Total Attendance - 21,258
Round 1 Average Attendance - 4,252

ROUND 2
Crocodiles vs Taipans - 3,790 @ Townsville Entertainment Centre (72% capacity)
Wildcats vs Tigers - 4,300 @ Challenge Stadium (96% capacity)
Kings vs Breakers - 5,562 @ Sydney Entertainment Centre (53% capacity)
Hawks vs 36ers - 2,966 @ WIN Entertainment Centre (51% capacity)
Blaze vs Taipans - 2,048 @ Brisbane Convention Centre (51% capacity)

Round 2 Total Attendance - 18,666
Round 2 Average Attendance - 3,733
Total Season Attendance - 39,924
Total Season Average Attendance - 3,992

Both games involving Patty Mills at the Tigers have drawn capacity or near capacity crowds. Adelaide so far has the highest home attendance which is likely to be broken in Rd.5 when Sydney hosts Melbourne and NZ are the only team yet to play a game at home (the Breakers 1st home game isn't actually at the NSEC, its at the 12,000 seat Vector Arena against the Kings in Rd.4).

Topic #26637 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thanks very much for those details.
Wasn't the Perth home game a sellout though?

Reply #335592 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

Did you get these from austadiums? I have written and asked them about the Cairns vs Townsville game in round 1. they quote 5300, the match report quotes 4834.

As I highlighted last season, its a little misleading to look at overall season averages - especially last season where the reintroduction of the Kings masked other issues. The trend in Townsville, Gold Coast and Wollongong must be a worry.

Reply #335594 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

The concept about the % of capacity I'll admit to borrowing from Austadiums. The attendance figures I did grab from Wikipedia but I'll admit I should have checked the match reports first because Wiki isn't always entirely accurate. I mean someone there likes to think of Perth on top of the current NBL ladder just because they have a better for and against percentage than the Breakers, despite NZ winning all 3 of their games so far compared to the Wildcats 2 wins.....maybe whoever it is needs to realise that the NBL ladder is calculated different to the AFL's?

I have to agree with Wollongong. I know its only 2 homes games into their season but in a venue that is supposed to hold 5,800 for basketball their best effort so far is 3,329 for their first game against the defending champs. Do Hawks fans not have much faith in their team making the playoffs? I know they'll probably draw over 4,000 when they play Sydney and in Rd.4 when Melbourne come to town but so far the Hawk's attendance is slowly sinking into the Tasman.

The Perth vs Tigers game was a sellout as far as I know, but the attendance posted was only 4,300 so apparently there were 200 empty seats there last Friday night.

The Breakers are actually playing 3 games at the Vector Arena this season. Rd.4 against Sydney, Rd.8 against Townsville and Sydney again in Rd.17 so their overall season attendance should theoretically higher than normal since VA holds 7,500 more than the NSEC (if they draw less than 8-9,000 for their first game against Sydney I'll be surprised).

Reply #335598 | Report this post

WeDaBestMaan  
Years ago

Good thread. This should be sticked so it can be updated with the attendance stats each week. Than compare it to last year's attendance at the end of the year.

Reply #335600 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

Thought about doing that. Might just do.....even if its not sticked I can do this every round or 2, only takes a few minutes to do.

Reply #335602 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

there was not 5300 at the cairns v crocs game rd1.....i guessed approx 4500.....then again, i was half-cut by the time the game started !!

Reply #335603 | Report this post

alexkrad  
Years ago

The Perth game was a sell out but there was definitely empty seats around the place.. busy members I guess?

Reply #335605 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

cheerz mate for this. fwiw, the 200 empty seats were just in case seamus wanted to sit down and watch the game to fit his arse in.

Reply #335606 | Report this post

DJ Rod  
Years ago

the first game in Cairns was 4834

Reply #335607 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Trend in Townsville is all to do with game night presentation. It's gotten really bad and they have a new "spruiker" this year who is quite possibly the worst yet...

Most people I talk to stopped going because of the tacky game night shit but it's only got worse since then...

The towsnville public loves a loyal leader and battler and the way they unceremoniously shafted our last three star leaders in John Rollie, homicide and rob rose left a residual sour taste in peoples mouths that the club may never recover from.

Reply #335610 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

*rillie

Reply #335611 | Report this post

Numbers  
Years ago

2 games with patty may have been sell outs or near sell outs but look at the stadium. Melb only holds 3500 so the lightning could sell that out and perth claim a sell out every game with 4100.

Adelaide and Sydney will be a true refelction of any patty impct.

Reply #335612 | Report this post

kr  
Years ago

Yeah the Crocs game night presentation was woeful. Didn't mind Mick as a presenter, but had to wait until the end of the third quarter for the cheerleaders (who are awesome) to make an appearance. You know it's bad when the Cairns fans in the audience are yelling out Boooooorrrinngggg, can't disagree with them!

Any ideas DJ Rod?

Reply #335619 | Report this post

crowded  
Years ago

trend in townsville is steady the last three years. Not sure they will ever get back to where they sell out every week. Wollongong is steady too but perhaps needs to be higher.

GOld Coast is the one that is a concern, first half of last year they were struggling to get 3000 in an expensive stadium. not sustaonable.

last year Cairns, New Zealand, melbourne and Sydney (from 2008) increased crowds. Perth, Townsville, Aldelaide and wollongong were steady and Gold Coast was down. Good result but its whether it can be sustanied and added to.

The nbl still has a lot of work to do, as dfo us suipporterrs of basketball.

Reply #335620 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I like the fact the NBL is focusing on membership. Whether it will be done successfully or not is another question, but for long term crowd and revenue growth you need to convert the increased numbers at the games into steady supporters.

Reply #335629 | Report this post

DJ Rod  
Years ago

I have no ideas because i'm on the bench with the team now - Intern Coach - so it's got nothing to do with me anymore!

I USED to have a lot to do with it and when you dont have any money to spend it's hard to put something spectacular on the floor to entertain!

Reply #335633 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Homicide left a sour taste in many mouths!

Reply #335634 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes, as homicide tends to do. Thats why the police take it seriously

Reply #335661 | Report this post

ringlord  
Years ago

Adelaide has got to stop having Friday games so not to clash with the district competition.A few thousand kids & parents would be a lot more vocal support.

Reply #335670 | Report this post

36ers solja  
Years ago

I agree with ringlord however im assuming this is scheduled by the NBL. Sunday games are just the wrong time slot for most while saturday nights we generally go up against those who like to watch Adelaide United. So we are in a bit of a jam. I reckon either you wanna be there, or you dont wanna be there.

Reply #335691 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

they should switch back to a winter comp - best way to get bums on seats - also the townsville team was boring last year to watch - if gill and mims keep going like the last game to people will come back
gold coast is never going to get many people into basketball or any sport for that matter - too many tourists

Reply #335696 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

The 36ers, like every other NBL club, would all put in requests to the league as to when they prefer their home games to be played and the NBL has a few things to consider when scheduling their games. Unfortunately things like clashes with A-League games or even when local junior games are on are going to happen, its unavoidable.

As spectators we have a choice of what we choose to attend, or not attend as the case may be. That is when it is up to the NBL and the clubs to promote the games and not only try to keep the supporters they have but to attract new ones.

Personally I won't be able to attend any 36ers games until after Christmas simply because I can't afford it. That is also another reason crowds aren't like what they used to be, some people just can't afford to go all the time. In a perfect world the 36ers (and every other club) would be playing to full houses every night but that just won't happen as things stand.

Reply #335707 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:40 pm, Thu 18 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754