Anonymous
Years ago

Worst 'Boomers' ever?

Ok, Just for a laugh... who do you guys think were the worst.. crappiest, or most unco player(s) to put on a boomers jersey. I would start with Paul Rees in the 94 WC's... probably add Scott Macgreggor to the mix too..

Topic #26638 | Report this topic

Anon  
Years ago

greg hubbard

Reply #335616 | Report this post

melvin corpuscle  
Years ago

Rees ? Yeah, cos the 94 final series MVP should never be put in a boomers uniform.

Reply #335626 | Report this post

Neers  
Years ago

Russ Hinder

Reply #335630 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Wade Helliwell. The entire team that lost to Angola at the WCs!

Reply #335631 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

blast from the past. Tonny Jensen

Reply #335637 | Report this post

birdman  
Years ago

wade helliwell.......jacob holmes

Reply #335643 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wade Helliwell... Massively agree.. was gonna say Luke Kendall too but atleast he could sometimes get something going. Russle hinder is definitely up there... hes not bad in the NBL but he has no place in the international game. i didnt realise paul rees was ever a finals MVP... but all I remember of him was Unco, Slow... there mustve been something I missed! Might want to add.. that for the most part the first 2 boomers teams of this year that took on china were pretty crummy too.. couple of thoes guys would probably fit comfurtably in that catergory if only i could remmeber there names!..... Oh, also Daniel Kickert.... Seems to always get call ups but has never ever ever done anything for the boomers... Never,,,,

Reply #335644 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

wouldve put aaron baynes in this catergory, but he really got his move on in that game vs spain and from then on was a quality role player for the boomers, but his first games were junk

Reply #335646 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hinder for sure...how he was in the Kings oops i mean boomers team of that era is beyond me... oh yea he played for BG!

If you look at the recent China team most of them don't belong at that level..I love Trig & Martin but really they are just good NBL players and that is all!

Reply #335653 | Report this post

billo  
Years ago

I think Martin squeezing on the end of a Boomers bench is not unreasonable.

Surprised no one's mentioned Nash yet!

Reply #335654 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Martin has gotta be up there. Completely outmatched at international level...

Reply #335663 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Gibson is a glaring inclusion as well.

Reply #335664 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Yeah, he should have kept Delfino to way less than 7 points!

Reply #335665 | Report this post

Nate  
Years ago

Pat Reidy anyone?

Reply #335666 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kickert, Helliwell, Kendall, Hinder there have been some shockers.

It might not officially count but Brett Wheeler & Chris Blakemore playing for the Boomers in the mid-90's against the Magic Johnson all-stars was a particular lowpoint.

Wheeler going 0/8 on FT's in that game also didn't help his cause and the father of a friend I was there with said he thought he was the worst basketball player he had ever seen.

Reply #335668 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Bruce yet but that would be blasphemy

Reply #335669 | Report this post

birdman  
Years ago

why would Bruce be blasphemy?? i thought of him also, good player but surely not at the international standard!

Reply #335682 | Report this post

rotateonthis  
Years ago

Greg Hubbard was a very good player , not so bad at international level . Heliwell , Hinder , Kickert , Baynes , Rees , McGregor and Reidy all very lucky .

As good a player as Damien Keogh was i could never understand the amount of court time he got especially when Mike Mckay always played very well in the green and gold .

Reply #335683 | Report this post

rotateonthis  
Years ago

Oh yeah Mark Nash fits well in that group .

Reply #335684 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

scott mcgregor is no way the worst player to play for australia
for a kid who started playing bball at 17 he did well to do what he did
u guys sit on here bagging ppl out, but what have u done, wheres ur aussie jersey from that time u played???no where!

Reply #335687 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

Anon #335644 - "there must've been something I missed"

Yeah - his 4 championship rings. Don't worry though, most players in the NBL miss out on even getting one and only a couple of others have 4.

Seriously, Rees was the Luc Longley of NBL. You couldn't reconcile the way he looked and moved with his success on the court. I loved watching him play for the 36ers.

Reply #335689 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Keeping Carlos Delfino to seven points is no feat. Dude will shoot his way into and out of games irrespective of the D thrown at him...

Fact is, Gibson as the starting SHOOTING GUARD (???) for the boomers is not a good idea.

Reply #335703 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Got to say, their are some truly spineless "anons" out there - Tonny Jensen, 20 years past his prime, and probably 15 years after a serious disease forcibly retired him , should still kick the butt of "anon" if that august personage could stop using their little finger to fiddle with their own genitals long enough to find their way to a basketball court.

Hell , most of the players mentioned here were quite well respected by their peers, including Nash and Rees

Both Simon Cottrell and Simon Dwight looked goofy most games but most preferred to play with rather than against them.

If I mentioned Ric Hodges as looking quite Unco , then those few of you who knew who I was talking about would probably say - But NO He's a local !!

But to be honest Ric was a less unco a player than Paul Kuiper or Peter "grasshopper" Walsh, he was probably on a par with Les Riddle.

Reply #335709 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Marty Clarke as Assistant Coach.

Reply #335771 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

I'm the "spineless" Anon that mentioned one Mr Tonny Jensen. So you think he would clean me up on a basketball eh? I don't think so. He didn't then and he wouldn't now. Tonny is an old mate who I have said to his face I thought he was hellavu lucky to get a boomers jersey. He's proof that work ethic can get you there. And for the record he does not play anymore, hasn't for years. He's busy selling corporate insurance. As for his forced retirement due to serious disease......ask a few ex-boomers of that generation how he contracted that illness, it started with a boomers team (I won't name who, but the little ratbag knows who he is) mate taking a dump into Tonny's water bottle. Giving him a bad bacterial infection. Remember, ex-boomers make posts on here too.

Reply #335806 | Report this post

Bball Fan  
Years ago

Hi 5 anon!! I was at every suns game that Tonny played. He was actually my second fav player behind Ricky 'the rain man' Jones!! Oh....and Rimas of course.

Reply #335811 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hey Anon "spinless"

--- if I put up a topic for the most off-topic, self-obsessed and blissfully up-himself ex-boomer - will you either un-anon yourself or at least choose a plausible actual boomer to impersonate ?

Tonny surely must be a real "Mate" of yours

Back on the topic of either unco or just plain "bad" - I'd go with "Wade" - whose parents must have had a glimpse into the future athletic gait of their offspring before birth.

Reply #335820 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

ah yes, Mark Nash... how in the world! and most of phil smythes boomers team... lets have like 20 forwards and 1 guard yay.....

on the flipside the best boomers player to not get enough time was brett maher! easily couldve been the scoring threat to compensate for the loss of gaze.. or even on the gaze teams couldve been that second scorer.

Reply #335825 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Years ago

This thread must be a candidate for the worst 'Boomer' thread ever.

Some interesting revelations from an alleged former Boomer player about an act of bullying, harassment and a lack of duty of care for the health of Tonny Jenson.

Reply #335850 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Definitely true about Tonny Jenson's illness, it is well known by a lot of people. Are we allowed to say who did it?

Reply #335864 | Report this post

N D Smith  
Years ago

Definitely McGreggor - only a reasonable NBL player who didn't dominate in the league so not international calibre. Who cares if he only started playing when he was 17 "and did what he had to" this stream is about the worst players and he's definitely in that realm IMHO.....

Reply #335871 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

haha

Reply #335880 | Report this post

Boomers Mail  
Years ago

Truth is the tool that nailed Tonny Jensen is the same tool that I built my my house with!!!!!!!

Reply #335883 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hammer!!!!!

and hows tonny jenson nowadays then? i didnt realise u could get a disease from someone who wasnt already diseased shit or not? lol wtf.

and I actually made the thread and I dont think its the worst boomers thread ever... some people are goody goodys and only wanna pat the back of mediocrity... im only interested in telling it how it i and in regards to the boomers theres been some subpar headscratching descisions made in regards to what players to pick. I also find boomers squads include everyone whos ever shot a ball!, russ hinder should never have been a boomer.. he was kinda skinny and useless in everything he did against decent opposition

Reply #335916 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Years ago

Out of respect I will assume the irony of your last post Anon "I actually made the thread" is not lost on you and you were being deliberate in your intent to display to every reader of this thread just how disappointing it can be when someone belittles your hard work without revealing their identity. But if it was let me reconsider my previous post.

Like many of the those mentioned in this thread I imagine now that you must have put many years of hard work and commitment into developing your skills. I must apologise for my lack of empathy towards you achieving a life long dream, that being the authoring of a thread topic deemed worthy for a forum moderator to allow it to be viewed. Sorry I didn't find the thread as worthy and notable as past Boomer related threads.

Reply #336109 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lol getting a littkle touchy about it all arent U, its almost as if your one of the guys who was mentioned.

Reply #336154 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

how any of you could critisise anyone who has played for the boomers is a joke , they all get picked on merit and most of you you would not make the all spectators team

Reply #336450 | Report this post

jerry  
Years ago

James Harvey, Ater Majok

Reply #385631 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

Bump.

Reply #658943 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

People are getting a little touchy on behalf of these players and they always resort to "what have you done?" Well, you can defend basically anyone either famous or who has achieved something with that sentence. You could say "Hitler was a terrible Chancellor" and have someone pipe back with "Well what have you done?" And they'd be just as justified in doing so. it is a moot point. We have every rigbht to be armchair critics and I think all of us acknowledge we aren't as good as the worst player on this list.

Having said that most of the 2006 WC team and the 2001 Qualifying teams were trash. Luke Schensher was trash. Helliwell, trash. There are some guys on the upcoming Asia Cup team that are a bit suspect internationally too but not to the point where they'd make this list.

Reply #658946 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The team that lost to NZ in 2001 seems to have been wiped from the internet.

Reply #658948 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Phil Smyth was the worst Boomer ever (in his coaching role).

Reply #658952 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Oldest reprised thread ever?

Or maybe that title goes to...

Agro neighbours thread

Reply #658966 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:54 am, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754