MK
Years ago

Melbourne Tigers captain

something that just caught my eye and that's the woeful offensive production by Melbourne Tigers captain Tommy Greer.

over the last 3 games he averaged 0.6ppg. yeah that's right you read correctly 0.6ppg!

tonight he played 11 minutes and not even in foul trouble and doubt injury. can somebody recall anyone else with this kinda production as a captain?

btw former captain Cam Tragardh seems to be much more productive at 16.7ppg and actually PLAYED in the 4th qrter when the game was on the line, and seems to play a much more important role than Greer.

perhaps Tigers trying to keep the fans happy after cutting Corletto? seems like some ugly politics involved in this

Topic #26652 | Report this topic

MACDUB  
Years ago

When Greer was announced as Captain, I was criticised for saying he won't be playing enough to actually be an effective captain. Theres too many 3 men at the Tigers with Dorsey, Lewis, Greer, Walker (Hard to please everyone minutes-wise)

Another issue I wanted to touch on was the treatment of Corletto.

It seems as though even the Tigers players resented him and looked like very little respect there. When he fouled Walker on the break, Walker exchanged some words and tried to initiate some confrontation.

I feel sorry for Daryl; He is such a respectable guy that is getting screwed over by the arrogant Tigers.
How can the Tigers players show such resentment towards a guy that just wanted to play the game? No ordinary person would be content with been a 'practice person'..Any rational person would go to another club so they can actually play..Like Corleto said he is 30 and is at the stage of his career where he wants to play, not be a full time training tool.

I wouldn't be surprised if Seamus came up with some fanciful and false story about Corletto..Probably told the players something false just to make it seem like Corletto was in the wrong and ignite some fire in the belly.

Reply #335903 | Report this post

MK  
Years ago

let me tell you you're definitely not alone i thought the same thing when his captaincy was announced, i think whether or not the position is jacked up he would've been an effective player.

and i kinda don't agree with the statement of Tigers player resenting him, if i'm correct some of them are gathering tonight somewhere.

but yeah i won't be surprised if seamus made something like that up. he's a legit big fat liar

Reply #335904 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

i think his role is more of a locker room leader, did people consider that.

Reply #335923 | Report this post

MK  
Years ago

yes thought that but wouldn't you just make him in their so-called 'leadership' group instead of the head of it.

Reply #335937 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

How do you pick a captain for a team with no leadership?
Tragardh is the obvious option. But there has to be a reason he lost it in the first place.
Burston will get injured at some stage.
Mills will be gone at some point.
Ubaka isn't really captain material.
Dorsey isn't a strong character out there.
Rush just returned to the league.
Walker and Lewis are too inexperienced.
Dillon just moved there.
Greer is the only long standing Tiger in the team.
From what I've seen, there doesn't appear to be much on court leadership in that team. At least they might be getting some off court with Greer ad captain.

Reply #335993 | Report this post

MK  
Years ago

if something happened off the court between him and the coach then i wouldn't expect him seeing 30min a night, starting and play a key role in the offense

Reply #335995 | Report this post

MK  
Years ago

also why would Ubaka not be a captain material? he's clearly a lead guard material who knows how to lead a team as demonstrated in Cairns and even in Melbourne has out performed Mills in this department in his experience as a lead guard.

Dillon just got here? Tragardh was a captain 1st year also last season. I think Dillon been in the league for 3 years is probably a better reason.

with Tommy's production you may as well count him as absent....

Reply #335998 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Interesting to note to pre game chat between the Captains and the Refs on Saturday didn't actually include Greer. Matt Burston held up the Tigers end of the conversation.

Reply #336065 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

props to the Tigers fans who cheered Corletto when he came on, showed class.

Reply #336139 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tommy doesn't post huge numbers but he is a tough defender and makes everyone around him better by doing the 1%er's!

Let's be honest we could use a guy like him at adelaide who can rebound & just lock down on a defensive task!

Every second team has an import that fits the perfect match-up for Tommy in lenght and speed etc so why most teams would love a player like him on there roster to help nullify the imports impact!

Reply #336145 | Report this post

MK  
Years ago

yes he's a tough defender and all, but you kinda gotta expect your captain to be someone with decent skills repertoire that'll actually play in crunch time.

Reply #336178 | Report this post

A.W  
Years ago

I rate Tommy Greer highly, he is the glue that every team needs. He does all the little things that need doing which makes everybody around him better.

Burston, Trigger & Tommy make up the leadership group with Tommy then voted in as captain by the playing group.

You could almost guarantee atleast one of the three from the leadership group will be on the court at any given time, so I don't see it as much of an issue.

Reply #336192 | Report this post

MK  
Years ago

i can assure you Tommy was not voted by the playing group but by the owners...

Reply #336214 | Report this post

MK  
Years ago

btw if you thought Greer got voted by the players, then that's a big lie just like the 1 they made claiming that Westover 'resigned'

Reply #336221 | Report this post

GHOST  
Years ago

thats all they do is lie clearly it was to settle the members down

Reply #336254 | Report this post

MK  
Years ago

through 1st 3qrters and 13+min of playing time. this 'captain' has recorded ZERO stats across the board, not even 1 field goal attempt! oh! he does have 3 fouls

Reply #336887 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:11 pm, Thu 28 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754