DJ Rod
Years ago

ESPN announces World Tour is a GO!

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/7150432/nba-lockout-nba-world-tour-dates-details-finalized-according-sources

The tour, dubbed the World All-Star Classic, was first reported last week by ESPN.com and has been in the works for the past three months, but terms and logistics are now finalized and an official announcement will be made by the tour's organizers on Wednesday.

Kobe Bryant, Dwight Howard, Dwyane Wade and Kevin Durant will headline the roster of 18 all-star players, sources said.

The remaining 14 players will be announced Wednesday. LeBron James, Chris Bosh, Amare Stoudemire, Blake Griffin, Carmelo Anthony, Chris Paul, Derrick Rose, Paul Pierce, Kevin Garnett, Carlos Boozer, Tyson Chandler, Steve Nash, Russell Westbrook, Kevin Love, Rajon Rondo and Chris Kaman are among the candidates.

The tour will close in Melbourne, Australia with games at Rod Laver Arena on Nov. 8 and 9.

Each player will receive a salary, ranging from six figures to $1 million. Many of the proceeds will go towards charity.

Topic #26680 | Report this topic

BALLER#3  
Years ago

wow the chances that at the exact same time we say the exact same thing...

Im keen for the tickets to come out though!

Reply #336311 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

My mate is shattered, he booked flights at the start of the year to go to the States for a month (next week) with the view of seeing a heap of NBA games.

Instead, I'll hopefully now be seeing one instead! :-)

Reply #336314 | Report this post

Big Sexy  
Years ago

Just got back from the States so, stoked thta I will be seeing them now

Reply #336315 | Report this post

DJ Rod  
Years ago

great minds Baller#3 ;)

Reply #336318 | Report this post

Bobby Tables  
Years ago

hah! I'd already booked a short stay in Melbourne from the 8th to the 10th. Score!

Reply #336321 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

Any idea on pricing yet?
Assuming it will be at Rod Laver?
Once It's officially announced, I will book my flights and tickets.

Reply #336332 | Report this post

Phil  
Years ago

Have to be one of the hottest sporting tickets in this country ever!

Reply #336336 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

skip - why on earth did he book for then? surely he knew there was almost certainly going to be a lockout?

Reply #336342 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Birdman? Still think its not going to happen!? haha

Reply #336343 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

wonder if One HD will televise it? my guess is a 10.30 replay!

Reply #336346 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good thing I live in Melbourne then!

Reply #336353 | Report this post

Rasheed30  
Years ago

Crossing fingers for free tickets for both games!!!

Reply #336355 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

Anon - He isnt just going for the NBA.

Reply #336359 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

re tickets, they are starting at $90.00 and range all the way up to $1k.I have also heard that there wont be any free tickets handed out for this at all!

Reply #336368 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

there wont be any free tickets handed out!

Reply #336370 | Report this post

gavmiester  
Years ago

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/7153013/sources-lebron-james-carmelo-anthony-chris-paul-world-all-star-classic

Updated - surprise surpass, they are starting to drop out.

No Lebron, Paul, Anthony, Rose or Westbrook. Durrant wavering.

Not sure the likelihood of this being viable with this calibre of player withdrawing. I know I wouldn't be bothering now that Rose, Lebum and Westbrook are out.

Disappointing, but hardly surprising.

Reply #336371 | Report this post

Most of the players on that original list have signed to play in Vegas in an Iverson led charity tournament. The Vegas tournament in from the 10th, so as I suspected, this world tour probably won't happen.

Reply #336375 | Report this post

birdman  
Years ago

yep, wont happen!!! funny watching you get your hopes up though people!!

anon 336343 - maybe wait til you actually see the game before you make that type of comment!

Reply #336380 | Report this post

pwned  
Years ago

birdman: please stfu.

try to provide some evidence for your opinions rather than just leeching on to other stories when they pop up.

Reply #336383 | Report this post

birdman  
Years ago

ok my evidence is ...... the lack of tickets on sale, the lack of advertsing for this event, the lack of any confirmation by rod laver arena that this event exists (they are advertsing a rod stewart concert in February next year so i know this is real), the fact that the promoters family is known for this excact type of scam and overhype without delivering, the lack of logic that these players would even want to fly all the way to the other side of the world and risk injury etc just for a relatively small pay, the fact that the australian basketball market is practically insignificant compared to asia and europe for this same type of event etc, etc. I could go on all day!

I know it would be amazing and exciting but lets not let that excitment cloud our judgement allow us to be so naive about logic and reality!

Reply #336388 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I am doubting that it will happen now, but its not like oz was the only date.

Reply #336391 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Going off twitter, apparently the hire of Rod Laver Area has been paid for by Australia Promoters! But players are pulling out very quickly.. there might still be a "NBA World Tour" but it wont be an All-Star calibre of players coming down under!

Reply #336396 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Seems there was a group of allstars played a game Oklahoma Sunday ; 176 to 171.

Reply #336397 | Report this post

Danger Mouse  
Years ago

Promoter, Ticketek and Rod Laver Arena all saying Australian leg is cancelled, may occur at a later date if lockout continues.

Damn! That would have been a once in a lifetime experience

Reply #336407 | Report this post

birdman  
Years ago

suprise! suprise!

Reply #336408 | Report this post

Big Sexy  
Years ago

Danger Mouse where are you getting this information, I haven't been able to find anything online

Reply #336413 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Puerto Rico game tickets got released three days before the the game and the game is sunday

Reply #336420 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The tour's first game will be played Sunday, Oct. 30, in San Juan at Jose Miguel Agrelot Coliseum. Tickets will go on sale in Puerto Rico on Wednesday afternoon.

Reply #336421 | Report this post

Big Sexy  
Years ago

From the articles I have been reading it seems they are seeing how the Puerto Rico one goes before releasing the next games, but you think the contracts would have the whole six games included

Reply #336422 | Report this post

Danger Mouse  
Years ago

http://andthefoul.net/?p=1735 is where I read the 'cancellation' info (+ their twitter stream). guess we will just have to wait until something official is announced

Reply #336437 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

this is bullshit. not happy. why are the other countries still getting their tours but we are not ?

Reply #336459 | Report this post

Big Sexy  
Years ago

Not other countries just Puerto Rico, I think might something to do with the recent labor talks

Reply #336460 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So they are trying to tour as close to home as possible ? are they expecting the lockout to end soon then ?

Reply #336497 | Report this post

Go Ducks  
Years ago

Lock out ending soon.... No games to be played after this first one!!

Reply #336605 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

http://lakersblog.latimes.com/lakersblog/2011/10/canceled-world-allstar-classic-means-no-kobe-bryant.html

Looks like it's pretty well officially a no go now.
Disappointed. Was that close to booking the flights earlier in the week, but thought I'd wait until it's officially announced and tickets went on sale.

Reply #336764 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:18 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754